PDA

View Full Version : Import tracing image question

ntdiver
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Firstly I would like to thank everybody who was involved in the setup & running of the conference - I learned a lot, had a good time and met a lot of nice people to boot.

Now my problem - I am trying the import tracing image feature in the new 2D vector drawing software and I get this message - "the selected texture size exceeds your video cards capabilities". Does anyone know what texture size it is referring to? I have tried a number of photos & get the same message & I think my video card should be able to handle it.

Thanks - Doug

mtylerfl
07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Firstly I would like to thank everybody who was involved in the setup & running of the conference - I learned a lot, had a good time and met a lot of nice people to boot.

Now my problem - I am trying the import tracing image feature in the new 2D vector drawing software and I get this message - "the selected texture size exceeds your video cards capabilities". Does anyone know what texture size it is referring to? I have tried a number of photos & get the same message & I think my video card should be able to handle it.

Thanks - Doug

Hi Doug,

During testing I was using fairly sizable jpg imports - I never encountered that message. If you like, you can email me one of the photos you are having trouble with and I can try it on both my laptop and desktop to see if I get any errors.

Some other things to try...Do one thing at a time, so you can tell which makes a difference (or not).

- go to Edit/Preferences and select the General tab (probably already showing). Increase your rendering cache to a larger amount, say 256mb -try it, if no difference, try 512mb, 1024mb, etc.

- go to Edit/Preferences and select the 3D Graphics tab. See what your Hardware Accleration is set at. If it's ON, then try turning it OFF and/or vice versa. You can also try reducing the Perspective Level setting.

ntdiver
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks Michael - I tried all the suggestions & still no go. I could only take the rendering cache to 1000. I will email you one of the photos. Thanks again - Doug

brdad
07-03-2012, 06:31 AM
I can't even find the option for import tracing image? I see a few new things but not that.

WoodenWizard
07-03-2012, 07:07 AM
I can't even find the option for import tracing image? I see a few new things but not that.

Same Place you import a Picture file, DXF and an STL.

Dave

Ton80
07-03-2012, 07:16 AM
There was a post from Connie which states that she is pretty sure the 2D suite tools ARE NOT available in DEMO mode. This would mean that any of us that have not paid for the 2D suite WILL NOT see the vector drawing tools or the image trace import. We can only see and use the 3D toolset..

lynnfrwd
07-03-2012, 07:20 AM
There was a post from Connie which states that she is pretty sure the 2D suite tools ARE NOT available in DEMO mode. This would mean that any of us that have not paid for the 2D suite WILL NOT see the vector drawing tools or the image trace import. We can only see and use the 3D toolset..

Correct. I will try to get some samples to show you how it works. It'll give me a chance to finally play with it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton80
07-03-2012, 07:35 AM
That would be pretty useful. I know there was a post that some tutorial are coming this week so that will probably appease all of us with so many questions... at least for about the length of time it takes to watch the tutorial ;)

From what I've seen so far this looks to be the package all of us less "3D capable" users have been waiting for. A way to take our images and intuitively turn them into a pattern without needing expensive 3rd party alternatives which then need to be imported.

brdad
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Ah, that stinks, but at least it explains it. Are there any plans to make it available in demo mode in the future?

What I'd really like it to do is be able to import a line drawing and carve similar to centerline (allowing for line width), but from what little I see this is not it. But I may still be interested depending on just what it can do.

RMarkey
07-03-2012, 11:22 AM
The size of the import tracing image is limited to your graphics card's capabilities. For it to effectively work, try the following:

1) make sure your hardware acceleration is set to AUTO or ON. In the menu, select edit->preferences->3d Graphics->Hardware Acceleration.

2) Reduce the size of the imported picture. A simple way to do this is to load it into PAINT, click the "resize" button or in the menu, use image->stretch/skew. Set your horiz & vert stretch to 50%, hit OK. Then select edit->select all and edit->copy. Go back to Import Trace and "paste from clipboard". Repeat until happy.

lynnfrwd
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Ah, that stinks, but at least it explains it. Are there any plans to make it available in demo mode in the future?

What I'd really like it to do is be able to import a line drawing and carve similar to centerline (allowing for line width), but from what little I see this is not it. But I may still be interested depending on just what it can do.

Evidently, the 2d Vector Tools cannot be protected in DEMO mode. So, no, this Suite will not be available....only the Pattern Modeling Suite.

mtylerfl
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
The size of the import tracing image is limited to your graphics card's capabilities. For it to effectively work, try the following:

1) make sure your hardware acceleration is set to AUTO or ON. In the menu, select edit->preferences->3d Graphics->Hardware Acceleration.

2) Reduce the size of the imported picture. A simple way to do this is to load it into PAINT, click the "resize" button or in the menu, use image->stretch/skew. Set your horiz & vert stretch to 50%, hit OK. Then select edit->select all and edit->copy. Go back to Import Trace and "paste from clipboard". Repeat until happy.

Hi Metallus,

He sent his image to me and I tried it at my end. It imported for me, no problem. It is a very small file size already...only about 28kb (it's a jpg). He already tried turning off, on, auto, boosting his cache size...doesn't want to work on his system. I advised he check for video driver updates, but I suspect his video card may be an older, less capable one. I mentioned he may want to call Tech Support and see if they have any other suggestions...he may just need to upgrade his card with a new one. Perhaps the copy/paste might work for him...I didn't think of that.

Ton80
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM

hey brdad, I asked the same question and Mike said that you will need to stick with Centerline for the type of carve you get when the Vbit follows the center of a closed vector. So, tracing line art to keep it as line art will still require using the Centerline plug-in.

ladjr
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Is there any written to videio on the 2D pachage yet.

mtylerfl
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Is there any written to videio on the 2D pachage yet.

I'll do an overview video of the 2D Drawing Tools...

ntdiver
07-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks Michael & Metallus for your suggestions. It finally came down to installing a new video card. It turns out my onboard video capability was the problem.

Thanks again - Doug

ladjr
07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I'll do an overview video of the 2D Drawing Tools...

Thanks Micheal, I have been playing with it all day and still confused.

toddreed
07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
in the edit menu in preferance make sure your hardware accereleration is on
:-D

ladjr
07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I have been playing with the trace comand. When I try to make a pattern it say one or more patterns belong to another owner. I just imported a drawing from free ware on the internet. I don't understan why. Any suggestions.

TerryT
07-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Seems like it may be a bug. I had the same problem with one of my MPC's .

ladjr
07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
I just printed the image and then scanned it. It gives me the same problem.

ladjr
07-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I just tried to work with a MPC I personally created and I get the same problem.

AskBud
07-06-2012, 11:11 PM
I just tried to work with a MPC I personally created and I get the same problem.We must remember that patterns are Raster carves
There may also be a blockage/flaw on some of the 2D tools (Copy Offset and Offset path) that make those replicated figures appear to be protected!
AskBud

ladjr
07-06-2012, 11:38 PM
We must remember that patterns are Raster carves
There may also be a blockage/flaw on some of the 2D tools (Copy Offset and Offset path) that make those replicated figures appear to be protected!
AskBud

Any ideas on how to fix. I only use the trace function.

mtylerfl
07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I have been playing with the trace comand. When I try to make a pattern it say one or more patterns belong to another owner. I just imported a drawing from free ware on the internet. I don't understan why. Any suggestions.

Hi Leo,

You have nothing there to actually make a pattern from in your MPC, which is why I suspect you are getting the strange error. The MPC consists of open vectors...there no shapes, puffs, extrudes, sweeps, nor carve regions. You cannot make a pattern from just plain vectors. Try making your outlines as closed vectors, then puff that up (or make a carve region or extrude, sweep...whatever). Then Group that component(s), and proceed with the Make Pattern routine. It will work then.

Does that help clear that up for you?

ladjr
07-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi Leo,

You have nothing there to actually make a pattern from in your MPC, which is why I suspect you are getting the strange error. The MPC consists of open vectors...there no shapes, puffs, extrudes, sweeps, nor carve regions. You cannot make a pattern from just plain vectors. Try making your outlines as closed vectors, then puff that up (or make a carve region or extrude, sweep...whatever). Then Group that component(s), and proceed with the Make Pattern routine. It will work then.

Does that help clear that up for you?

Thanks to Mike and Bud I think I'm getting it. I was trying to use the new trace option.

seathis
12-19-2012, 11:19 AM
quote from a few months back: "Now my problem - I am trying the import tracing image feature in the new 2D vector drawing software and I get this message - "the selected texture size exceeds your video cards capabilities". Does anyone know what texture size it is referring to? I have tried a number of photos & get the same message & I think my video card should be able to handle it."

Did anyone ever figure this out please? I too have the very same problem, with very same error message. It's just on a laptop that I don't use very often, so therefore, haven't worked with it anymore after it started rejecting all trace images.

I know how to use the 'Import Tracing Image' option. I use it often on my desktop running windows 7. I have no problems there and the program runs fine. But on my laptop running XP, this message occurs when I try to 'Import Tracing Image' into Designer. I can import an 'Image File' fine. Just wondering if anyone got a fix for this. Thank you.

mtylerfl
12-19-2012, 03:53 PM
quote from a few months back: "Now my problem - I am trying the import tracing image feature in the new 2D vector drawing software and I get this message - "the selected texture size exceeds your video cards capabilities". Does anyone know what texture size it is referring to? I have tried a number of photos & get the same message & I think my video card should be able to handle it."

Did anyone ever figure this out please? I too have the very same problem, with very same error message. It's just on a laptop that I don't use very often, so therefore, haven't worked with it anymore after it started rejecting all trace images.

I know how to use the 'Import Tracing Image' option. I use it often on my desktop running windows 7. I have no problems there and the program runs fine. But on my laptop running XP, this message occurs when I try to 'Import Tracing Image' into Designer. I can import an 'Image File' fine. Just wondering if anyone got a fix for this. Thank you.

I believe Metallus stated a possible cause/solution for this issue at the following link...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20967-Import-tracing-image-question&p=180466#post180466

Laptops (especially inexpensive ones) are notorious for having sub-par video cards (even worse...they often have "integrated" video cards on the motherboard. I'm guessing that may be the most likely cause for the error you are experiencing, but cannot know for sure at this end, of course. You'll need to do some checking on your video card at your end.

seathis
12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Bummer. Thanks Michael. It's an HP Presario, but several years old. Amazingly, it runs full version AutoCad just fine. I'll check the video card. Was hoping for a easy solution.

Update for those with this question in the future: I did try to reduce my image to 'tiny' as recommended in the link provided by Michael. And that worked. Although not a great detail image, it gives me enough to work with. Thanks again.

mtylerfl
12-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Bummer. Thanks Michael. It's an HP Presario, but several years old. Amazingly, it runs full version AutoCad just fine. I'll check the video card. Was hoping for a easy solution.

Update for those with this question in the future: I did try to reduce my image to 'tiny' as recommended in the link provided by Michael. And that worked. Although not a great detail image, it gives me enough to work with. Thanks again.

Glad that got you goin'!

BTW, AutoCad (2D) is not particularly demanding on a system...however, if you get into AutoCad 3D and part animation, etc. then you would need a more robust system and video card. A couple years ago, I bought a Dell Precision M6500 laptop and added several upgrades...runs 3D software without choking (that's the audience it was specifically targeted for)...also records multitrack audio and perform video editing of immense files without a hiccup. The main drawback was the cost...over $3000 for the most powerful mobile workstation available at the time. Also, it is heavy, runs fairly hot and the 9-cell battery only lasts about 90 minutes on a full charge - computing power consumes a lot of juice! Nevertheless, I do love being able to travel with it and enjoy the same capability I have on my office and home desktops.