PDA

View Full Version : Will not restart

RobertDD
07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Ok guys here's one for everyone. My Carvewright system is about two years old and seems to be doing fine, until last week. I was in the middle of carving acrylic and I raised the plastic front to clean out the shavings, like I have done for years, but this time when I lowered the clear plastic, the machines motor did not restart even though the unit said it was running. Long story short 50% into the carve and all is lost. And the worst thing the motor will not restart even when I start the carve over. I checked the safety switches and even bypassed the switches to trick the motor into starting, nothing.
Just turned it on and hit the options button and did a sensor check and everything was fine. So I started again on my project. Machine measured the board just fine, head tracked to home position ok so now it went to park in the center for starting the bit. The cut motor did not start but the unit thought it did so i had to stop it before it dived into the wood not running.

Replaced cut motor brushes last year, so where do I start now? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me, Robert at vinylconcepts@hot.mail or even voice at 859-322-0077 .

If I know where to start I probably can fix it. Thanks all.

fwharris
07-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Robert,

Did you try "options" "#8" and run the test on the cut motor? You have to be updated to the lasted software version to get these tests. You can also check the motor by attaching a electric cord to the two input leads. Best done with motor still in machine and flex shaft detached from the motor. It very well could be the X termination board.

On caution about using the clear cover to stop/pause a carving instead of pressing the stop button one time. Raising the cover can cause the contacts to arch and possible short out/zap some of the components..

chief2007
07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
X termination board, that is where I would start

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I recommend everyone write the cut motor hours on the machine near the keypad when you change them. The most I have ever gotten from a set of Cut Motor Brushes is about 298 Cut Hours. A few times I have had the machine NOT start due to short brushes DURING a carve... I took the long handled screwdriver and thumped on the cut motor gently with the plastic handle of the screwdriver and the cut motor stated again when I pressed enter and I was able to finish the project. I then replaced the brushes and all was good to go....

I highly recommend 250 Hours to change the brushes and do a Big Cleaning and Lubrication at this time AND change the 2 small bearings in the Y Gear Box too.

1. My first tip is to check the Brushes... More than likely they are too short and caused a failure to start...

2. The X Termination Board can also cause this problem, the C1 Cap snaps off one lead...

3. The Right Side Cover Switch has become loose and it is in the return path of the Motor and will cause this too.... OR one of the Wires has become un plugged.... OR the plastic tab on the Clear cover is broken... OR the hinge screws on the clear cover are loose and the clear cover is NOT activating the switch. You can HEAR the switch Click and if you do, I would look elsewhere.

I would take this opportunity to open the Cut Motor and blow out the sawdust... On one motor that I was changing the brushes for the 5th time a few weeks ago, I managed to snap off a wire going to the Stator and had to retire it for now.... So be GENTLE.... Sawdust is sucked thought the machine from the cooling slits in the back of the motor thought 1/2 of the fan... So Every Motor will have sawdust....

Let us know....

AL

unitedcases
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Al is dead on and this can't be more true. I change mine every 200 and regrease all the gearboxes and everything. And I have dust collection. Takes me about a morning to do it. My machine had well over 1000 and it trucks along great. But I attribute that to taking awesome care of it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

RobertDD
07-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I'am almost 100% sure this is the problem? ;) 54446 Thanks to all who lent an ear. I'll let you know how we stand. Lesson learned replaced brushes a year or so a go, should of bought two sets like I will do now. 685 hours on machine and this is only the scond set, so not bad. Thanks all

fwharris
07-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I'am almost 100% sure this is the problem? ;) 54446 Thanks to all who lent an ear. I'll let you know how we stand. Lesson learned replaced brushes a year or so a go, should of bought two sets like I will do now. 685 hours on machine and this is only the scond set, so not bad. Thanks all

Looks like you got your moneys worth out of those!!!