PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions of the X-drive gears?

beowulfkaine
06-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I have a laser cutter, does anyone know the dimensions and spec's of the X-drive gears? I'm just going to make my own.

unitedcases
06-29-2012, 10:45 AM
That sounds like a question for the carvewright staff.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

Digitalwoodshop
06-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Pull it out and lay it on a Flat Bed Scanner with a 6 inch ruler next to it...

Bring the picture into a Vector Program OR manually re-product it using the 6 inch ruler in Corel to get it correct.....

Great Idea.... Well... Not Exactly... The Nylon X Gear is designed to Strip during a Jam acting as a $5.00 or what ever it costs sacrificial part... A Safety Release to cause the machine to STOP when a JAM occurs....

IF you made a Acrylic Gear or even we talked about a BRASS Gear in 2007 until we saw the light of a Safety Valve...

So lets say you make the gear more "Better".....

Now if you get a Jam, you HOPE the X Stalls WORKS and you get a X Stall on the LCD.... I have seen them before.....

SO lets say the machine keeps on driving now the next thing to SNAP would be......

1. A Expensive Servo Motor for the X.....

2. The X Driver Transistor inside the Computer would then SMOKE..... I had replaced many Servo Driver Transistors at Sony until we put a Exterior fast acting FUSE and Holder on the outside of the case to act as a Release Valve...

The computer is about $300.00....

So my advice..... Put the money into a few spare X Gears from LHR and cut the plastic of the frame so you can quickly change the gear without taking out the X Motor.

Really GREAT to have that Capability..... My little 20 Watt Epilog would laugh at Acrylic....

Good Luck,

AL:mrgreen:

beowulfkaine
06-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Yea maybe your right, I hadn't thought of that...

Digitalwoodshop
06-30-2012, 12:57 PM
We all jumped on the Lets make the X Gear from BRASS Band Wagon until we really thought of the results.... Just moving the Failure Point to a more expensive part...

What kind of Laser do you have? Do you do it as a Business? And how is the CW fitting into your plan?

Inquiring minds want to know.... If your willing to share.

AL

DickB
06-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Only guessing here but I have noticed that at times a board that I have loaded will start moving slowly and gradually pick up speed. As if the back EMF were being monitored to detect a heavy load and then easing the strain on the gear train. I have not had an X gear failure since noticing this behavior.

Digitalwoodshop
06-30-2012, 08:39 PM
I have noticed the same at times and contributed it to morning humidity as it would drag the X Measurement then pick up speed to normal. I sometimes would release the pressure slightly with the hand crank and let it complete the measurement. Then Shut off the Power and start over again with the measurement, normally the second time it would run normal.

Usually my older belts do this more with sawdust pitch stuck to the back side of the belt.

AL

beowulfkaine
07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Sorry didn't realize anyone replied, Im not sure why I don't get emails. I have a 40w hobby laser, I can cut gears, but I also have a markerbot 3d printer, I got my new gear in the mail the other day so I took measurements and I'm going to try to print one just for giggles and see howe close I can get to the original

We all jumped on the Lets make the X Gear from BRASS Band Wagon until we really thought of the results.... Just moving the Failure Point to a more expensive part...

What kind of Laser do you have? Do you do it as a Business? And how is the CW fitting into your plan?

Inquiring minds want to know.... If your willing to share.

AL