PDA

View Full Version : Blinking light box??

mrtaz
06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
i'm putting a light box at a craft show. where and what do i buy to make the box come on and off about every 10 seconds or so??

where this is at the power will be shut off every night and turned backed on in the morning. so i need something that can repeat itself

every day without having to go there and reset it every day.

thanks, Bill

RMarkey
06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
blinking Christmas bulbs?

mrtaz
06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
not a bad idea, but i would rather use the puck light i'm currently using because i want them to see what it actually looks like if they wanted to buy one.
i would think the chistmas lights might give a false look. the thing i'm thinking of, is you plug this into an outlet and you plug whatever into that. almost
like a timer you would use for a lamp or chistmas tree but be able to do it by the seconds and not by the hour, and do it for like 8 hours a day.
but now you got me thinking of another idea with chistmas light for another project.

thank you very much for your feedback.

unitedcases
06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
What about keeping your setup and using a Christmas timer? That way when the power comes on it automatically starts a timer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

mrtaz
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
that's actually right but i need it to go on and off every 10 - 20 seconds or so. same idea as them blinking neon bar lights or them advertising lights that flash on and off. so when people walk by they see the amazement of being lit and not being lit.

thanks for the feedback

Digitalwoodshop
06-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Years ago a Flashlight Bulb was made to blink.. It had a bi metallic strip inside the bulb and caused the 6 volt bulb to flash on and off... Road Side Flashing Yellow Construction Lights still use them. Might be bright enough... They were on the back of the Sealed Beam Flashlights with a flashing red light.

AL

chevytrucking
06-29-2012, 04:35 PM
It might cost a few dollars, but you can buy a timer relay that has a knob on it to adjust the "blink" time. Some have 2 knobs so you can adjust the on time and off time differently. I bought one a Grainger once, think is was about $45. That's been a while back though... Also, do a Google search for button flasher, you might be able to use one of those.

James RS
06-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Strobe light with variable speed and a colored gel if so desired

mrtaz
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
yes, that is what i'm looking for. thank you

now i need to figure out what else i need to make this so i plug this relay into the 110v outlet and then plug my light into that.

i don't know about the button flasher, i use a fluorescent puck light. after looking up button flasher, pretty neat. never seen them before.

ladjr
06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
How much light do you need, If xmas lights would work you could get some that blink

DickB
06-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Electronics is also one of my hobbies. I built a circuit exactly for this some time ago, but I used a 12 volt LED strip. I can give you a schematic if you want to build something.

Or build this one:

http://www.omnitronelectronics.net/phpstore/html/VELLEMAN-K8033---POWER-BLINKER-2603.html

mrtaz
07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
i think they'll blink faster than i want.

DickB
07-06-2012, 08:34 AM
The schematic is here: http://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/manual_k8033.pdf Just change RV2 from 47K to to 200K and that should give you 10 seconds on time.