Dale Osborne
01-27-2007, 01:45 PM
can anyone help clear this ERROR 246

olearywill
01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Me too...

Dale Osborne
01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I posted a picture of my problem and the solution. It is Taking back my machine!!!!!!!!!!! Changed my mind

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2007, 02:42 PM
I know Dale got his mahine going today but I wanted to say a brief word about asking for troubleshooting help in general. I'm not trying to be difficult but after many years of troublshooting equipment I have found that it is much more productive when you have an astute operator who participates in discovering the problem.

Just stating you have an error code xyz does not give anyone else enough information to try and offer any help. The fisrt step when you have a problem is to write down all the things that were happening when you had the problem, what was the machine doing, was it carving already, was it doing a bit check, any funny noises, etc. Then do a search of the forum (Search is in the top right corner of the page) and see if you can find any previous messages concerning your problem. Chances are you might and you might just find your answer there.

If you don't find an answer after doing a search of the forum then you have enough information to pose a good question to the forum (who are mainly other CW owners). For instance, "I was just starting a new carving and when the machine went to the back to do a bit check the bit check plate did not come out all the way. The head went up and down a few times and then I got an error code xyz. I did a search of the forum and did not see anything similar to this (or I searched the forum and the problems described in this post [the post you are respnding to] seem the most similar to mine.)"

I have found that there are many nice folks here that spend alot of their own time trying to help others out, and if all else fails give CW a call. They are very nice people too.

olearywill
01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
I have carved with the machine for the past few weeks - only problems i had were "user related" - this weekend i got an error - after reading all the related topics - using air to clean it out - checking the wiring in the back of the machine- the ribbon cable that goes into the back of the truck seemed loose- just seemed to slide in and out without much resistance -
any idea why it's not connected better? or how i can correct this problem as it may be related to the error i received?

Dale Osborne
01-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I was not saying that was his problem just what my problem was. (Just something to look for). Because when I posted my problem no one said anything about a loose cable. ONLY TRYING TO HELP
P.S I have done maintence on 1 hour photo labs for 15 years, I know this is different, but working on photo labs I needed all the help I could get

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2007, 05:16 PM
olearywill - the loose ribbon cable is likely the culprit

Dale - I think we must have been posting at the same time as I did not see yours when I hit the reply button. I was just trying to offer some troublshooting advice in general. Did you ever work on Konica minilabs?

olearywill
01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Sounds reasonable - do you know what should i do to correct it?

thanks,

Jeff_Birt
01-29-2007, 07:09 PM
There are two ribbon cables and one multiwire plug that plug into the circuit board beside the Z-axis motor. The large ribbon cable has a 'lock' mechisim that helps hold it in place so the black cover needs to come off to get to it. If you pull out gently on the 'ears' of the large ribbon connector you can release the lock, insert the cable and then close the lock ears. The small ribon cable just slips in. They put a bit of really poor black silicon on the outside of these at the factory. I scraped it off and put some silicone rtv sealant on, reinstalled the cover and then put some on the outside of the multiwire plug as well. While you are there you might want to check that the black cap over the Z-axis motor. The same silicone was used there and mine came of and hung up the Y-axis.

olearywill
01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
One more thing - how do i get the cover off - i don't want to force it - took the two screws out of the back already...

pkunk
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Look down from the top at either end in the recesses, 2 more screws.

Rick Devine
01-30-2007, 05:56 AM
The "sticky" at the top of troubleshooting has a pdf that you can download on removing your cover.

olearywill
01-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Did all that and still same error?
any more thoughts?

olearywill
01-31-2007, 05:33 PM
seems like a lot of down time...
is this standard...

JoeyZ
02-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, there are always problems. But thats common with any machine like this. Hell could you imagine how the world would be if they insisted on working all the bugs out of computers before releasing them? We'd still be using typewriters and VHS tapes.

The Bard
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Awesome! I work at a photolab myself after here....

and i'm late now. darn.

Still, we use 3M weather stripping or liquid nail (in that order) on our cables here. also, I'd press that latch in first... it more often than not is the reason the ribbon cable pops out.

olearywill
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
I understand there are glitches - but it's been down almost 50% of the time and i'm not seeing any resolution...
called the 800 number twice, 4 days apart and still no return call...

Jeff_Birt
02-05-2007, 10:06 AM
olearywill
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:03 am Post subject: too much down time
I understand there are glitches - but it's been down almost 50% of the time and i'm not seeing any resolution...
called the 800 number twice, 4 days apart and still no return call...

CW does not have an 800 number...are you calling Sears? Here is CW's contact info from there 'Contact US' web page.

LHR Technologies, Inc.
4930 Allen Genoa Road
Pasadena, TX 77504

Phone: 713-473-6572
Hours: 9:00 - 6:00 PM, Monday - Friday

olearywill
02-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I appologise -

it was the 713 number - that I called...

but thanks for clearifying...

will

Jeff_Birt
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
I would keep calling until you get a live body. I called last week right at 9:00 Central Time (when they open) and got right through.

olearywill
02-05-2007, 10:17 AM
both time I spoke to a girl on the phone and she was going to have a tech call me back - no luck...

I'll try again...

thanks
will

The Bard
02-05-2007, 11:30 AM
8)

olearywill
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
got the machine to get rid of the z axis problem...
re attached the ribbon cable...
then the top stuck - read on the forum and solved that..
the the close cover sensor was stuck - read on the forum and got it
to respond but it's intermittant...
now more errors -

tried to call the number again to get assistance -
apparently too busy footing other calls - must leave message -

here's the kicker - mailbox full can't leave message at this time...

I think this thing was sent to market too soon -

is it possible to return this and wait a year or so when the kinks are worked out?

olearywill
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I finally just spoke to the Sears sales person in Hardware where i purchased the carving system -

I'm happy to say he said i have 3 mos from time of purchase to return it...
that's a relief-

having said that - it gives me time to try to work out the issues i'm having... or at least try to use the $300 in lumber i purchased to play with it - back to the drawing (carving) board...

apparently the 3mos is different depending on where you purchased it...
i purchased mine in Colonie NY - upstate...

Sawbit
02-09-2007, 08:15 AM
they have a toll free number. 800-573-1226

I too have z-axis errors. I'm told this is due to a bad z axis motor truck. I called a week ago I called Wednesday and I called yesterday and mine left the factory yesterday. Hopefully in my hands this am.

I like the machine.

I've done service work for commercial and residential for 30 years. Never seen anything quite like this. All the people at LHR are very polite and friendly and wonderful to talk to. Just don't solve my problem. See i have plenty of friends. What i needed was a solution to my problem.

Retail is war. If you don't solve your customer's problems quickly and to their satisfaction. THere are other folks out there just waiting for you to stumble. LHR's problem seems to be a lack of a sense of urgency. THey seem a bit overwhelmed.

THey weren't prepared for the possible problems.

PKunk I'm sorry in advance if our attitude gets you going. We paid big bucks for this machine and were told it was street ready. She wasn't . I know that all new technology has problems when it's first introduced. But lame excuses and slow response is not going to solve any of these problems.

Your constant denigration of people that don't agree with you that everything is wonderful begins to wear after awhile.

When people complain about the service or lack of service or just dissatifaction in general this is not copping an attitude it's a legitimate perception of the reality that they paid a loy of money for this machine. In many cases were placed on waiting lists and now have genuine disappointment in the product they were sold and the support they received.

THese bulletin boards are not your personal fiefdom. We appreciate your help and experience. Stop talking to us like we were children.

Sawbit

The Bard
02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
and the first ranging shots are fired. Now THAT'S what I call a preemtive strike. :lol:

olearywill
02-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I still think the concept is great...
just a bit much on trouble shooting for the amateur - which i am...

toothpicks
02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey guys, check this out. I too was cursed with the error 246.

Here is a fix that I havn't seen mentioned here before. When the Z-truck is all the way home (left side) and all the way down, it may have made a little too much contact with a little piece of plastic. Apparently this may have happened with an early firmware version. Not sure what that piece is called, but look for a spot where the bit has obviously dug into some plastic part (in a recess in the squaring plate).

If so, take a dime and put a drop of Titebond on it. Stick it on top of the plastic part where the bit dug in. See if that helps.

Thanks again to The Bard, for the "cheap fix".

Ropdoc
02-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Hello guys,

I was able to do one project that ook about an hour and 47 minute to complete. I wanted to start anouther one today but got this code 246 error. So what is the offical fix? I am going to check for the nick and go from there but what are we to really do to fix it? My machine is brand new.

Thank you,
Dave

The Bard
02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
The fix is to call CW and talk to a tech. hehe.

Ropdoc
03-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Ooooohhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!