PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone, need urgent help with centerline

leviboxerdog
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Hello,
Need please some urgent assistance with centerlinetext. Short version: can you adjust thedepth of cut using a 60 degree bit? Everywood and font I have tried comes out too wide. The letters would look cleaner and not break apart if I can decrease thecut depth.
Suggestions?
Thanks

AskBud
06-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Hello,
Need please some urgent assistance with centerlinetext. Short version: can you adjust thedepth of cut using a 60 degree bit? Everywood and font I have tried comes out too wide. The letters would look cleaner and not break apart if I can decrease thecut depth.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Centerline depth is determined by the font chosen and the size of the text. The darker and wider the font sample (in the left window) the deeper and wider the centerline will carve. Avoid assigning the BOLD option as this will drive the bit deeper, and give you a wider foot print as well! You may/should increase your text "spacing" (I usually set mine to about a 12) as this places each letter farther apart. I, often, substitute a 45 or 22 degree V-bit for the 60 degree V-bit to lessen the top width of the text.
AskBud

leviboxerdog
06-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. I somehow figured that was going to be the answer. I was cutting some small letters between 3/8" and 1/2" and everything I have tried is not working.

lawrence
06-27-2012, 05:01 PM
If you have the DXF importer you can import the text into a program such as coreldraw and export it as a DXF. You can then import the DXF into the Carvewright software and set the depth.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Lawrence

leviboxerdog
06-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone!!!! Well here's what I did for now to get this sign done tonight. (wife leaving on a flight in the morning and need to take it with her as a sample) I buit a four sided jig. The edge pieces are 3/32" higher than the work piece. When the machine finds the work surface, it take the measurement from the "edge" piece and then carves the wood which is actually lower. This is giving me the results that I need for now. Again thank you for your answers and I will look into your other more practical long term solutions. Where are the other bits available (22 degree), I was only able to find a 30 degree.

Thanks all
Carl aka LeviBoxerDog

AskBud
06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I got mine at EagleAmerica.
AskBud
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v132-0422/ea_-_groove_forming

leviboxerdog
06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Awsome Bud !!! Thats the answer......

Thanks again

P.S. You have some great videos

chkorte
06-27-2012, 07:45 PM
When I have wanted my text to be narrow I have used the1/16" carving bit with good results.

AskBud
06-27-2012, 07:51 PM
When I have wanted my text to be narrow I have used the1/16" carving bit with good results.I would think you are pushing your luck, as the carving bit may not be able to stand the pressure of some fonts which dive into the stock. I would warn the others that you may break the carving bit by using it for centerline.
AskBud

chkorte
06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
The only time I use it is when I need to carve small text in tight spaces.