PDA

View Full Version : The "Tuff" Box - Project of the Month JULY 2012

mtylerfl
06-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JULY 2012), the "Tuff" Box!
The Tuff Box project features a unique, pivoting lid configuration using an offset hinge design. The “industrial metal” appearance of the box makes it look heavy-duty and “tuff”! The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The sample shown is finished to look like ‘aged metal’, using metallic paints and patinas. The final dimensions of the Tuff Box are about 7½" W x 6" D x 5½" T.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Tuff_Box.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Tuff_Box: 0.75" x 11" x 27"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Ninety-four (94) ¼" button-head dowel caps, one #14 x 1½" round-head screw for the pivot hinge (the screw should be about 7/32" diameter), two #10 washers.

4) Sandpaper, box clamps, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Tuff Box made from Select Pine:
• 2 coats of Bullseye Sealcoat
• painted the parts with Sculpt Nouveau products...
• 2 coats Iron B on all, plus Vista Rust applied on last coat while it was still wet
• Silver B applied “strategically” to highlight panel areas, the dowel heads, and some edges here and there (I used dry-brushing techniques as well as my index finger to apply!)

• I “aged” all the parts by applying Sculpt Nouveau Black Dye Oxide Patina via brushing and stippling it on with a disposable chip brush, then wiping and “dry-brushing” it off to create variation in highlights and dark areas.
• 2 coats Krylon clear Acrylic spray as topcoat

Smoken D
06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Very Cool Box Michael, will make a great addition for my collection!

unitedcases
06-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Doesn't even look like wood. Great finish!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

rcdages
06-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Michael,

Another outstanding design and finish for our POM.

Thank you.

LittleRedWoodshop
06-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Awesome project Michael ... i might have to buy that one.

Digitalwoodshop
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Awesome project from a Awesome Guy... Michael

AL

ladjr
06-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Another great project. I hope I can paint as good as you did.

b.sumner47
06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Michael, A great project for July. I can't wait to start.

Capt Barry

liquidguitars
06-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Very cool!

Capt Bruce
06-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Very well done once again Michael. Can't wait to carve this one as well. Nicely done

mtylerfl
06-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Thank you all! I have a great time making these projects for you.

Leo, the paint job is probably the easiest part for something like this...the "grungy-er" the better. I considered beating it up a little with various hammers and chains and other hard objects before painting it, to make it look even more "aged"! But, decided to wait and do that on another project later when I might need the "therapy" of beating up something!

lawrence
06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
that's another VERY cool project. Well done!

Lawrence

Smoken D
06-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Guess ya could back off 20 yards and powder it with #8 shot from the 12ga:roll:

mtylerfl
06-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Guess ya could back off 20 yards and powder it with #8 shot from the 12ga:roll:

Good idea! :)

Mark Dubya
06-30-2012, 01:39 PM
WOW! The July POM looks great! Fantastic work Micheal! I love the mechanical look to this POM and the great Industria Synchroon from March. People are floored by the look of these finished carvings. Keep 'em coming!

mtylerfl
07-01-2012, 04:14 PM
WOW! The July POM looks great! Fantastic work Micheal! I love the mechanical look to this POM and the great Industria Synchroon from March. People are floored by the look of these finished carvings. Keep 'em coming!

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much. I'm so glad you are enjoying the monthly projects!

Just got back from the CW Discover Conference a few hours ago. It's going to be really cool to see what projects people create themselves with the new software add-ons!!

Mark Dubya
07-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I have 4 of these Tuff Boxes carved- but not painted. I'm waiting for the 1/4 inch domed buttons to arrived. Thanks Michael T for the tip on buying these maple buttons at www.craftparts.com. (see the Tuff Box PDF). They have the best prices anywhere. I looked far and wide and couldn't locate any except at a local True Value hardware store. They wanted over $12 for 100 buttons! That's just enough for 1 box. You can 100 buttons at Craft Parts for $1.65. I bought a couple thousand in various sizes for future projects.

mtylerfl
07-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I have 4 of these Tuff Boxes carved- but not painted. I'm waiting for the 1/4 inch domed buttons to arrived. Thanks Michael T for the tip on buying these maple buttons at www.craftparts.com (http://www.craftparts.com). (see the Tuff Box PDF). They have the best prices anywhere. I looked far and wide and couldn't locate any except at a local True Value hardware store. They wanted over $12 for 100 buttons! That's just enough for 1 box. You can 100 buttons at Craft Parts for $1.65. I bought a couple thousand in various sizes for future projects.

Hi Mark,

Wow! Four of them!

Yes, that online source for the buttons was a godsend - I found them by accident...best price I've been able to find. I ordered 500...should have ordered a couple thousand like you did!

karossii
08-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Just curious here... why have the carvewright carve holes to put in buttons... instead of having it carve the buttons themselves (i.e. one piece of wood that only looks like it has buttons)?

I'm sure there's a reason for it... just wondering what it is.

mtylerfl
08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Just curious here... why have the carvewright carve holes to put in buttons... instead of having it carve the buttons themselves (i.e. one piece of wood that only looks like it has buttons)?

I'm sure there's a reason for it... just wondering what it is.

Hi Ken,

That could have been done that way, no problem...the thickness of the wood would be diminished, but that wouldn't really be an issue for a small box project like this. It was simply a design decision. There's more than one way to skin a cat...I "skun" mine this way!