PDA

View Full Version : Z axis stall, z axis user test just skips and cut motor test just skips

leop
06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Question:

My machine was working fine. Then I got a Z axis stall. I went to the user tests under options and and tried to run user tests. The Z axis test does nothing. It just flashes the display and reutnrs with nothing taking place?? It just returns really fast and the LDC just flashes. Same with a cut motor test. Are the two test failures related????

X-termination board is fine. What else could be causing this?

Leo

fwharris
06-23-2012, 07:06 PM
I would start with checking the FSC cable to make sure it is plugged in fully and no nicks. I was getting the Z stall and found my cable had a break right at the bracket.

Digitalwoodshop
06-23-2012, 07:59 PM
You removed the Electronics from the enclosure and possibly one of your wires is loose or the keypad data is not properly talking to the Computer.... Sad to say, you might need to go back to the Factory Configuration.... Static Electricity.... Remember CMOS inputs are mostly Capacitive Inputs and the longer wires may have picked up a Electrical Charge and blown some of the inputs to the Computer. Just guessing here not seeing this before... Any chance a Keypad Wire is twisted or broken?

Pictures would be good... You can always call me... I am in the shop for another 2 hours. 570 Six Eight Five WOOD.

9663 AL

Tests to run....

Sensor Data... Even Board Detector with white copy paper on the board cranked down.

And just to cover all the bases.... With the Computer Removed from the Machine, is the Card Track still attached to the Computer keeping the many small contacts of the Memory Card in place. If all else fails.. Reformat the Card....

Go through loading a new project and tell us how the machine reacts.... Does the Z Home or does the machine just fault out.... FSC Cable... A Biggy... Watch for bends and man handling snapped wires...

AL

leop
06-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Hi Digital Woodshop,

All good points.

I checked the cable and it looked fine. I actually buzzed it out with the DVM and then I plugged it in and buzzed it out again from the back of the two boards at the connector pins just to make sure it was making good contact.

I had not removed any of the electronics from the case yet. I wanted to make sure I started with a working system so that if it didn't work after the transplant that I knew it was something that I did.

I also tried re-formatting the memory card - no joy there. The keyboard works fine and the machine passes the roller (Y axis I assume) and x axis user tests just fine. It's the Z axis that it fails on. I checked the signals on the servo and the computer does not even attempt to move the Z axis.

What has me stumped is this. I read on the forum here that a non-running cut motor will result in an Z axis stall message. Not really sure why they did it that way but whatever. Anyway since the cut motor and Z axis are both not working I figured I would start with the cut motor and see if I could get that to work in hopes that the Z axis stall would go away. As I said before I had drawn out the schematics for the X termination board so it was easy to test that, I simply found the opto-Isolator, pulled down one side of the diode to GND and wala the cut motor ran. The I buzzed that signal all the way back to the computer and then to the PCB of the computer to make sure I didn't have any broken wires. I then traced the signal through two fast switching diodes that check out good and finally to a voltage divider with both sides going into a latice programmable logic part, and there the trail goes cold since I don't know what they programmed into that part. But then I was thinking, the output of the latice part is pretty strong, the diodes are ok and then there's also an opto-isolator so the chances are pretty slim that I blew that output. Of course I could have blown and input to the CPU but that also seams unlikely since the keypad sensor tests and everything else except the Z axis stall and cut motor are not working.

Then I got to think maybe there is something else the computer checks first before it attempts to run the cut motor. The door switch seams fine.

Can you tell me what's the first thing your machine does when you turn it on? Does it home all the axis' or run the cut motor for a second? What does it do when you run those user tests? Does the cut motor actually run? does the test jump back after it runs or is there some kind of message?

Any help you could provide as to what the system does when it is working fine would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Leo

RickC
09-22-2012, 04:25 PM
@leop Have you resolved this issue. I have exact problem. Machine just sits there with 0313 z error at start of any project new or old no homing no board measure, nothing... During test mode Z and Cut Motor both reset themselves to beginning of test. I replaced power supply as recommended as a possibility in forum but no fix. Could it be the cut motor?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Question:

My machine was working fine. Then I got a Z axis stall. I went to the user tests under options and and tried to run user tests. The Z axis test does nothing. It just flashes the display and reutnrs with nothing taking place?? It just returns really fast and the LDC just flashes. Same with a cut motor test. Are the two test failures related????

X-termination board is fine. What else could be causing this?

Leo

chief2007
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Sometimes a simply approach is the answer, have you check the z motor assembly itself?

The motor, or encoder or both could be bad. I found a used motor I use as a backup and for testing purposes.

Had the same problem and the z motor and the z circuit board ended up being the problem.

RickC
09-23-2012, 08:58 AM
OK got new Power supply, New Z motor, New ribbon cable.. checked all wiering.. still getting Z Axis stall E06-0313 after selecting project and hitting start. When I do tests X & Y are fine.. Z and Cut motor test just loops with start press with nothing happening.. What now?????

@chief2007 Thanks.. sure wish I had more parts to swap out.. can get expensive getting them lol, well at least I now have a power supply to swap in future.. All connections seem tight, ribbon passes continuity check on each line. It may be the z board and or motor as you say. Too bad repair place is in Texas I am in NY wish there was local place to drop machine off for repair.

Sometimes a simply approach is the answer, have you check the z motor assembly itself?

The motor, or encoder or both could be bad. I found a used motor I use as a backup and for testing purposes.

Had the same problem and the z motor and the z circuit board ended up being the problem.