PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what happened. Help!!!

kcc2012
06-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I just purchased a pattern for a cribbage board and decided to carve it today. I downloaded it to the card put it in the CarveWright, entered all the info it asked for and the carving began. About 45 mins into the project I checked on it and the bit was just spinning but not on the board and this is what came out. I don't think it's supposed to look like this. Any advise would be helpful.

Thank you
Ambrose.

kcc2012
06-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Sorry I forgot to post the picture.

Digitalwoodshop
06-22-2012, 08:57 PM
TWO Problems seen....

The 7 inch rule of wood comes into play here.... when the board is too short then it comes out from under 1 roller and is only held flat to the table by 1 roller. This lets the board tip UP and between the sand paper belts is a brass roller that tracks the board position in Length or X. When the computer expects to move the X the computer monitors the brass roller and when the correct number of pulses are seen the machine is happy. IF the board tips UP like it must have, loosing contact with the brass roller. The board keeps moving until the Brass Roller makes contact again and the correct numbers of pulses... As in your picture... The Board moved where the blank spots or not carved spots are.... And if the bit came down on a un carved area it could lose pulses in the Z your 2nd problems.... Hence the Air Carve as you described it...

Tips and Tricks.... you NEED to read and understand that.... It was written by US.... It tells you about the 7 inch rule of wood and Carrier boards and sleds... I even tape a scrap board on the end as seen by the many posts I have made...

I design my projects with a 4 inch blank area on the right side of designer and leave my boards LONG.... See the pictures.... Tips and Tricks will help... We call this error..... "Pilot Error".... you tried to Fly a Airplane and CRASHED... Because you did not know how to FLY.... Tips and TRICKS.... Is the CW version of Flying Lessons.... I use PLACE ON END with my 4 inch dead area.... I use 4 inches....IF you use 3.5 inches or 7 inches total the board will be on the TIP of the Roller....

The Oval Clock is a example of a 4 pass Cut Path that the Brass Roller lost contact 4 times....:mrgreen:

WELCOME !!!! Now go do your HOMEWORK.... Tips and Tricks...

AL

kcc2012
06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm glad to know its operator "pilot" error because that can be fixed easily and cheaply. I've been printing off the tips and tricks and reading them just not all of them yet. I guess I had a couple of good carves before knowing about the 7 inch rule and just figured I knew what I was doing. Of course I don't.
Thank you for the advice and the encouragement.

I'm off to find that issue of tips and tricks and study.

kcc2012
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM
I've been reading the tips and tricks and the trouble shooting guides all day. I tried carving a birthday present for a close family friend starting at 8am this morning. Many errors, everything from check cut motor to load project board which was already loaded. I've cleaned sensors and saw dust from places that I didn't know existed. I'm glad this is happening, even though it's frustrating because I'm learning more and finding my way around the tips and tricks and the forums etc.... Thanks for the verbal kick in the pants about the tips and tricks.

Deolman
06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Just about everyone of us has been down the road you are on. Quite honestly there isn't a thing on this machine that cannot be fixed by the users of this forum. As long as you are willing and don't lose patience your machine will finally end up doing exactly as you want it to. Just remember the best tool you have to overcome any problem is you. If you are willing to listen to the people on this forum, they will teach you how to do it.

Another member on the forum is AskBud. He has supplied a wealth of video tutorials to help you out. They are great to learn from.
You can find them here:

http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm (http://www2.wcoil.com/%7Enharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm)

The above link might be able to assist you when the members are laying low.

kcc2012
07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
I have no problem listening to the advice of others. Sometimes though I just jump the gun and then get frustrated. I did just recently discover AskBud and his videos, what a wealth of information.

ladjr
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Just keep at it and asking questions. You are off to a great start.