PDA

View Full Version : Machine issues

brunswickstu
06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Pecently purchased a used Sears Compucarve with very low hours (Less then 3 cutting hours), and am seeming to have problems with getting it to function properly.

The initial issue is that it seems to have an issue measuring, it will be moving the board, stop and change directions for an inch or so, then stop and change directions for 3/4 of an inch... etc, until the board is just moving back and forth very rapidly, it will then stop and go back to the main menu without any errors. I have managed to get the machine cutting but i had to manually place the project on the board.

The second issue, which may be contributing, is that i can't seem to get the belts to stop drifting (head pressure is at 85lbs, using brand new straight wood). They keep moving over towards the brass roller and rolling up on the edges giving a check tracking sensor error occasionally. I am about to order new belts, but considering this machine was nearly brand new when i got it, i don't know that that will be the root cause of the issue (unless they had warped from non-use).

Finally i got a very strange error message when attempting to get a board measured and start a project, it was "Undefined Error Err E1335-0269." i cant seem to find this anywhere on the forums or in the troubleshooting guides.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this?

Thanks

fwharris
06-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Drifting belts, trim off about 3/4 - 1" on the end. also check to make sure the head is level. If you are going to get new belts go for the rubber belts.

Measuring, make sure you have the O ring on the brass roller, use masking tape on the bottom edge of the board (full length) to get a better bite from the brass roller.

AskBud
06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
First, is this a machine that you bought from Sear's or from a private person?

Perhaps the head is not level. I posted this method of checking for level a while back:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15961-Left-belt-moving-to-back-of-machine&p=135707#post135707

How wide is the board you are using, when you get the "roll-up"?
AskBud

TerryT
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
What is the board size?

Digitalwoodshop
06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Rapid moving of the X is the board loosing contact with the Brass Roller. A Rolled Under Belt will cause this as it raises the board up off the Brass Roller.... And remember that Masking Tape is your friend... Putting a strip on the bottom of the board where the Brass Roller rides lets it dig in and make sort of a Rack and Pinion. A hard smooth board like Maple or Oak can let the board slip on the brass roller.

Also a little rubber spacer should be under the brass roller and if that was sucked up in a vacuum by the previous owner then that can be a easy fix.

As for board level, a down and dirty quick way.... Put a wide board in the machine and crank it down. Move the head to the edge of the board and the bit down to touch the board. Select Options and Sensor Data and Z Data.... Since you started up sensor data with the bit touching the board it should come up in 0000... Then pick up the head and move to the other side of the board and touch the board... This will give you a reading of 0000 or close.... to level the head you remove the bottom cover when it is unplugged and disconnect one side of the cross connect gear and adjust until level and re install the cross connect.

And I agree.... CUT the BELT.... I do on a regular basis... IF I cut a bunch of 6 inch wide boards the belt STRETCHES on the used side and the un used side remains normal size... Like a Tapered Funnel the belt will move to the Brass Roller and roll up.

Good Luck,

AL

AskBud
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Also make sure the O-ring is properly placed on the Brass roller.
AskBud