PDA

View Full Version : Warrany on the way

rjp736
01-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Just called sears and got the 5 yr warranty for $47.92. Told them that it was for the Compucarve and he did not question it. He said this machine was covered under the warranty. Should recieve the certificate in 2-3 weeks.

Digitalwoodshop
02-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Not to kick a dead dog around but....

Today the Master Protection Agreement showed up....

Expiration 01/26/2012
Product Bench Top Power Tool
Model 133.217540

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And this "Don't Worry. This isn't a bill. It's confirmation of your coverage."

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The back is full of fine print and terms and reasons why it would not be covered if you needed it..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well, for $48.33 it would be an interesting conversation piece to hang on the wall

AL

The Bard
02-18-2007, 10:36 AM
good luck getting them to honor it. There have been several company statements saying that those warranties were bought on misleading information. That is a warranty for an item costing under 400. You might call them up and double check... Just sayin.

HandTurnedMaple
02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, there have been several people on here saying that people on the phone have told them it wouldn't be honored (and I'm sure they will all show up again). What I have not seen is an actual statement from the Sears legal department regarding this issue. Nor have I seen anyone from Sears man-up and accuse me of lying to my face...I mean "giving misleading information." Nor have I seen Sears attempt to refund my money.

The Bard
02-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I'll accuse you as long as I know you'll never visit here!

there was a post about it somewhere... something about Sears says that those warranties were sold on misinformation and that they were actually warranties for a much less costly piece of equipment.

if i had time i'd find it but i'm doing call backs today to catch up and stop the death threats.

Bill
02-18-2007, 11:10 AM
The Bard is correct,
There are several threads about this, here are just two of them below.
I believe your protection agreement or extended warranty will be null
& void when you need service from sears. Hope I am wrong but that
is the way I understand it.
Bill.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2707&highlight=#2707

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5451&highlight=#5451

The Bard
02-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Second Rule of Carvewright: You can always count on a Bill having more time than you do.

Bill
02-18-2007, 11:14 AM
:lol: :lol: And you know why, need faster drying glue for this
lamp to set up :lol: :lol:

The Bard
02-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I would respond but people seem to think i'm padding my post numbers.

so I won't.

:roll:

HandTurnedMaple
02-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Both of these threads fall clearly into my statements. None of these people are Sears representatives. I'm not saying the posters are wrong, I'm saying that they are not legal representatives of Sears and therefore their comments amount to nothing more than rumor no matter the origin of their information.

Furthermore, I am extremely stubborn when it comes to billion dollar companies keeping their legal promises. And since they cannot prove there was an exchange of disinformation (because there wasn't), and they promised to protect my CompuCarve for $45 (or whatever the exact amount was) I will pursue it as far as it needs to go. And I will win.

And Bard, don't assume anything. I've lived in Texas twice already. And was living in Idaho less than 6 weeks after I decided to move there. So always sleep with one eye open. :shock: Oh, I forgot, you only sleep when you have us on hold. :P

Digitalwoodshop
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Darn.... I just kicked the hornet's nest that was under that dead dog.... Ouch :shock: Ouch :( Ouch..... :)

One statement on the back tells me that if it is used for a business it is null and void... So that kills my coverage.... Like I said, a conversation piece.... Kind of like "Billy Beer"..... :oops: Did anybody really drink that stuff.... :lol: :D :roll:

OK everone it's "Billy Time"...... or was that Miller Time...

AL

HandTurnedMaple
02-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I have 3 cans I keep near the furnace. Just waiting for a special occasion to drink em.

The Bard
02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
honestly, I hope you keep them to it brudda.

That just lets me charge all my hours to them hehe.

HandTurnedMaple
02-18-2007, 01:20 PM
My real hope is that the CW runs for 5 years without a single failure. :lol: :lol: :lol: But I think fighting Sears is a more attainable goal. :wink:

The Bard
02-18-2007, 01:22 PM
and much more fun and rewarding.

IM2HAPPI
02-18-2007, 01:30 PM
The Daytonia is ready to start, Im setting here reading about Sears Warr. lol BRB I hear Jimmy B and coke calling me. I have a bridge here in Mich I'd like to sell, lol call the Mackinaw ..... any takers ?

The Bard
02-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Me thinks you sound like you answered that call earlier today already.

IM2HAPPI
02-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Havent you heard of pre-race celebration lol :roll:

The Bard
02-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Have one for me.

here i sit on sunday, doing call backs to get caught up for tomorrow, and in a few hours I go to my second job.. *sigh*

thanx barb *pouts*

IM2HAPPI
02-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Really Bard, I sorry and yes I will have one for you. You want some deep fried morels and some wings to go with that ? Cheese and crackers, dip, spreads ? Hey how about a phone call saying my machine is all screwed up ? Naw just kidding, its working " wonderful". I needed JB after listening to Jon for 4-5 hrs this am. TG he has a soothing voice.

Thank you JuJu ....... Your such a sweetheart.
Good thing Im straight, I almost love that little gal lol

The Bard
02-18-2007, 02:01 PM
yeah, I think I owe her a song... hmmm

Woodpecker
02-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Well, they kept me on hold till I grew a beard and it turned grey. {{Sears that is}} On page 40 of the Operators manual is the offer to purchase the warranty agrement. I also have a snail mail in to their Illinois office. The person with Sears confirmed many, many calls and No they do not have a warranty at this time. Sunday Feb 18.

LZee
02-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Sears is not offering any home protection or shop protection agreement with the compucarve.

The only warranty that is offered is the one year/200 hour manufacturer's warranty through CarveWright.

If you have a MPA, you need to go to the store and get a refund.

Linda
The giddy Sears Tools Consultant

The Bard
02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
*struts all know-it-all like*

giddy is another word for sleep deprivation.

LZee
02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Besides, with a 47 buck warranty dispute, you've landed yourself in small claims court.

The first thing the judge will do is fix you with his/her/its beady eye, and ask if you've asked Sears for a 47-dollar refund yet?

If you say "no, no, never, I'm taking this up to the Supreme Court!!!!" you'll be out on your ear..and with court costs assesed.

Those Master Protection Agreements are fully refundable during the period of the original manufacturers warranty (typically one year in the tool department). If you've got a warranty through a store, go back to the store within 364 days of the date of purchase.

If you've gone through 1-800-4MYHOME, call 'em up and ask for the refund.

Linda
The insominac Tool Consultant

The Bard
02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
isn't she SWEET?

HandTurnedMaple
02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Appearantly Sears Sales Associate is her part-time job besides being a successful attorney. Kudos on the dual-role. Now you will have to forgive me if I do not take your legal advice and continue my crusade to make companies keep their promises like all conscientious Americans should (no offense to the non-Americans here, its not your fight yet). The mistake was Sears/K-Mart's, not mine. If I misquote myself, I am obligated to finish the job at the price I set. Sears promised to repair/replace my CompuCarve for a period of 5 years for $45 and they will. I have nothing but time.

The Bard
02-19-2007, 01:35 PM
like i said... hope it works for you.

However, unless they give every employee power to negotiate contracts, then they sold a warranty to the wrong item.

but hey, i hope you win. Then I can charge up lots of overtime to Sears! hehe

HighTechOkie
02-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Two things to look at in the warranty disclosures:
1. What is their indemnification remedies? Typically, there is a line which states that if they can not repair/replace, they can refund the price of the warranty AT THEIR discretion.

2. How are disputes handled. Again, typically your only course of action is "Binding arbitration."

Most 5yr coverage plans are priced at 10-15% (i.e. for the Compucarve the price should be $200-$250) of the original purchase price of the product.

The last and largest hole in your case would be your posts on here that prove you knew the warranty was not valid as has been advised by a proclaimed Sears Associate.

Personally, I'd rather spend my time making more project on my machine, rather than fighting a loosing battle with a company that would drown you in legal debt, as no sane attorney would take on your case on contingency.

.....patiently waiting for the next saga in the warranty drama :).

Rob

Jeff_Birt
02-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Folks, I think Rob said it well and as (before Rob's post) this was quickly turning into another urination match much as the last warrenty thread I would like to ASK that it be let die. Let's get make to making chips...

The Bard
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
*beats the horse again*

HA!