PDA

View Full Version : A more accurate rope?

badbert
06-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I certainly don't want to appear ungrateful or petty. All of the rope patterns I find are just a little skewed or uneven. We have decided to carry the rope theme throughout our home. This will require a more accurate rope. Most of you have seen my stallion door header. the rope that I used to surround stallions was inaccurate and a little crooked. it required a lot of post carving work to look anywhere near realistic. so I am requesting a more accurate rendering of a rope. Or rather two ropes. For the sides of my entry door. I want to carve rope columns. They will be 4.5" wide .8" deep 80" long. I will impose my address on one side and street on the other. The problem... At that size the rope looks like a barber pole. That size rope is made up of smaller ropes. The contrast between the rough rope and the smooth surface of the letters should be cool. I also need a straight rope section, 12" long .8" deep 1.625" wide. I need it to be tileable with smooth tansitions. I hope someone can help out!

cestout
06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
I sent a question in to software support asking how to use the tweek rotate tool in the pattern editor, but never got an answer from them. On the phone to LHR a tech. told me that it does not work and is a known problem. I have a 2ft+ scan that I am stitching together to make a 6ft+ piece. There is about 1/4 inch difference over the 6ft after I shift the 3 sections to match end to end. If LHR fixes this known problem, the author of the rope pattern can fix your problem. Nice horses by the way. Where did you get the pattern?
Clint

mtylerfl
06-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I sent a question in to software support asking how to use the tweek rotate tool in the pattern editor, but never got an answer from them. On the phone to LHR a tech. told me that it does not work and is a known problem. I have a 2ft+ scan that I am stitching together to make a 6ft+ piece. There is about 1/4 inch difference over the 6ft after I shift the 3 sections to match end to end. If LHR fixes this known problem, the author of the rope pattern can fix your problem. Nice horses by the way. Where did you get the pattern?
Clint

Hello Clint,

The Rotate Tweak Tool has always worked for me...what kind of issue are you seeing?...and, more importantly, what did Tech Support say didn't work about it??

Saw/noticed just now where you were asking how to use it...once you are in PE with a pattern in the display, click the Tweak Tool. You will see a Cross Hair on-screen...this is the center of rotation. Move the pattern until the Crosshair is located where you want the pattern to rotate around/from (you can move the pattern either by moving the slider bars in the right-hand window, or (what I use) is the shortcut of Shift-right-click mouse button and hold while moving the pattern. Release when located appropriately.

Now, left-click at your starting angle point (you are drawing a line), then move your mouse to the end point of your angle and click once more. You will see the pattern has rotated. It will take a bit of practice to get the hang of the tool, but as far as I know it's working. One thing you will also notice, after the pattern has been rotated, the Crosshair appears to have changed position which can be a little distracting at first. If at anytime you are not happy with the angle, you can Undo (or shortcut Ctrl-z) and start over.

badbert
06-18-2012, 07:25 PM
you should b able to use it arbitrarily (enter numbers). photoshop has a ruler tool for this. I got the horses from the grayscale post that Pratekya(?) posted. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20397-FREE-grayscale-depthmap-.jpg&highlight=grayscale

bjbethke
06-18-2012, 08:36 PM
I certainly don't want to appear ungrateful or petty. All of the rope patterns I find are just a little skewed or uneven. We have decided to carry the rope theme throughout our home. This will require a more accurate rope. Most of you have seen my stallion door header. the rope that I used to surround stallions was inaccurate and a little crooked. it required a lot of post carving work to look anywhere near realistic. so I am requesting a more accurate rendering of a rope. Or rather two ropes. For the sides of my entry door. I want to carve rope columns. They will be 4.5" wide .8" deep 80" long. I will impose my address on one side and street on the other. The problem... At that size the rope looks like a barber pole. That size rope is made up of smaller ropes. The contrast between the rough rope and the smooth surface of the letters should be cool. I also need a straight rope section, 12" long .8" deep 1.625" wide. I need it to be tileable with smooth tansitions. I hope someone can help out!

Will This Work? The MPC would not post, it was over 1MB (1.65MB)

badbert
06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
It might unfortunately I am laid up for a few days, and "Bucky" blew a belt. I ordered 2 sets, should be here Friday.

jpaluck
06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
here is another one for you..rope is very easy to make in 3d...think this is what your lookn for based off description

not for e-bay sales by unknown sellers or known ones..not for resale

badbert
06-19-2012, 01:54 AM
here is another one for you..rope is very easy to make in 3d...think this is what your lookn for based off description

not for e-bay sales by unknown sellers or known ones..not for resale

Now that is a rope! It looks to be exactly what I am looking for! Everything happens for a reason! now I know why Bucky blew a belt, so I didn't waste wood cutting the old pattern! As soon as I am back on my feet and Bucky gets her new belts I will post the results! Thank you all so much!

badbert
06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
So... I made it out of bed, with inspiration for this new rope! It tiles perfectly, And it resizes to fit both needs. Thank you so much!

jpaluck
06-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Glad you like it Bert..is very easy to do

easybuilt
06-19-2012, 09:42 PM
I sure like the detail you captured John.

badbert
06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Glad you like it Bert..is very easy to do

Easy enough to make corners? :) Please? LOL

badbert
06-20-2012, 02:35 AM
So this is the big plan for the front door. 54077 I need to create a transition from the top of the rope columns to the header .

Anyone wanna give it a try? PM me and I will send you the MPC's!

CNC Carver
06-20-2012, 05:53 AM
That is going to look wonderful. How did you create long rope column?

badbert
06-20-2012, 07:14 AM
That is going to look wonderful. How did you create long rope column?
If you read a few posts up. You will see that jpaluck created the rope for me. And it is the most accurate rendering I have found.

rcdages
06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
jpaluck (John)

Did one fine job on the rope for you Bert. Then John always dose a good job.

henry1
06-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Badbert you have PM

CNC Carver
06-20-2012, 10:04 AM
I see jpaluck created the rope. Just trying to figure out how to repeat it to make the long column. Thanks.

badbert
06-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Copy and paste,then tweak to align.

CNC Carver
06-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks! I didn't think I could get alligned correctly. Thought there might be some trick I wasn't thinking of. Again looks great!!

badbert
06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
If there is a trick I hope someone lets us know. I wanna do my whole house in 3/4" quarter round molding. Made from this pattern. My plan is to do 6 pierced ropes 1.625 wide on a 1 x12 x12feet. Then set a cut path right through the center of each rope. If it works it should give me 12 12 foot sections per 1x12. I would appreciate any input on this plan.

CNC Carver
06-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Sounds like you'll get alot of quarter round molding out of each board. Let us know how it works out. I'm interested in doing the same thing on my T&G Knotty Pine Lake House.

badbert
06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
If anyone has any ideas as to how to make the transition from the top of the columns to the header, please give it a try!
Here is the link to files!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zido5dh1v05jl