PDA

View Full Version : Board Thickness

Cliff
01-27-2007, 09:59 AM
I keep forgetting to ask; the thickness of the board as seen by carvewright, is it true or milled? If I purchase a 1.25 board an plane it down to 1 inch as apposed to getting one at a lumber yard rated at 1 inch that is not a true 1 inch thick.

HandTurnedMaple
01-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Truly I don't think it matters. The bit senses where the top of the board is before cutting. The only problem is if your carving is deeper than the thickness of the board, where it will carve through the board. ON all of my carvings so far I was off on my thickness by as much as 1/16" with no problems (I like to round to 1/8" when possible).

HandTurnedMaple
01-27-2007, 10:07 AM
OK, just reread the question. Input the actual thickness as the wood would enter the machine. IF using stock 1" material, then it needs to be enter at 3/4". Again I don't believe it needs to be exact, but get close.

pkunk
01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Not sure I understand the question. :?: Hardwood lumber is sold as 'true' dimension, while softwoods are pre-planed. So if you buy 4/4 oak s4s, it's actually 1", while if you buy a pine 1x4 it's 3/4". The Carvewright™ doesn't care what the size is as it references the bit to the surface of the board. As long as your wood is thicker than the carving your OK.

jdrof
01-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I have yet to apply a cut path to a project. If I am using a 3/4" board, what do I set the cut depth at? Does the CW cut all the way through, just leaving the tabs? What about the belt under the project?

Just don't want to screw it up and the documentation is not real clear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron B
01-27-2007, 02:03 PM
I have yet to apply a cut path to a project. If I am using a 3/4" board, what do I set the cut depth at? Does the CW cut all the way through, just leaving the tabs? What about the belt under the project?

Just don't want to screw it up and the documentation is not real clear.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you do cut path the machine automatically sets it up. As long as you have the correct thickness in the board settings in the software you will be okay.

Yes it will some tabs so it doesn't fall out then you just cut them and sand them down.

The bit only rides in the channel in the bottom of the machine. The board moves so the bit even when going through a board will be in the channel in the middle of the machinel.

jdrof
01-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Aaron,

Thank you, I will give it a try.