PDA

View Full Version : New machine, Click-N-Carve

DocWheeler
06-17-2012, 09:34 AM
I just saw this (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31661&TabSelect=Videos&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=V2135) this morning, smaller machine, about the same price.
It creates and uses gcode.
The video shows creating a litho.

Must be a wonderful machine because it shows no dust created :)

I think it has a long way to go before being a real competitor to the CW.
But, it seems to indicate that there is still a market out there.

Not sure that the bits would be useful, pretty high priced.

lawrence
06-17-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm happy to see the CNC world spreading out a bit more - spreading the word that there are inexpensive CNCs out there now just makes folks investigate all their options... and once they do comparisons they will not be able to help but see that it's not that the Carvewright is a better machine, but it is a much more developed machine for the $$ than any of its competitors and it continues to both develop and be supp. I know that lots of folks are "testifying" about the Carvewright on as many forums as possible. I find this encouraging (and try to do so myself).

I really do believe that our results are the proof that the Carvewright system is the superior hobby CNC on the market.

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
06-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I am impressed.....

AL

lawrence
06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
The subject has come up on another site as well.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=5959964&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=

Lawrence

cestout
06-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree with your comments Lawrence, but another important question is does it use servo or stepper motors. To me that makes a BIG difference. But size does matter. I am about to carve a bunch of 6' x 6" long molding in 5/4 poplar. 18hr carve each.
Clint

bjbethke
06-17-2012, 03:13 PM
This machine was made by;

http://www.bravoprodigy.com/brvoprodig_multi.html

http://www.amazon.com/Click-N-Carve-84030-Carving-17-7-Inch-Capacity/dp/B0072HOFV4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_2

Amazon also sells the larger unit.

liquidguitars
06-17-2012, 04:21 PM
i have been programming and operating cnc machines for nearly 20 years. I own a cnc shark, ran and wrote the first magazine review of the carvewright, ran and created the web video for general's icarver. I am fluent programming in alphacam, enroute, vcarve pro, ipicture, artcam express, solidworks and others.
The software that comes with the click and carve is similar to ipicture (general's software for the icarver). It is good for carving only, not real capability for say, cutting out the carving after it is finished. They are very good at interpreting photos and images and assigning depths to create the carving.
Carvewright's software is excellent for both carving and cutting, but (at least when i used it) was limited to a library of carvings. There is no real method for creating new carvings, although you can scan an existing carving.

I guess after using that much cad software he could of forgot Solidwork has a STL out and Designer has the sweet STL package. :)

The bottom line is that which machine you should buy is very dependent on what you wish to do with it.

Yes I agree with this...

mtylerfl
06-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I became aware of that machine about a week or so ago...a friend of mine (who also owns a ShopBot) sent me the link. I'll be honest - I just about laughed myself off my chair when I read the specs and saw the price! $1599.00 gets you a total engraving area of 8.7"W x 6.3"D x 2.48"H on that machine.

Now, if the machine sold for maybe $300 bucks, that might be something to consider for making really small stuff. I don't think it remotely represents any valid competition to a CarveWright!

Sallen1215
06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
I became aware of that machine about a week or so ago...a friend of mine (who also owns a ShopBot) sent me the link. I'll be honest - I just about laughed myself off my chair when I read the specs and saw the price! $1599.00 gets you a total engraving area of 8.7"W x 6.3"D x 2.48"H on that machine.

Now, if the machine sold for maybe $300 bucks, that might be something to consider for making really small stuff. I don't think it remotely represents any valid competition to a CarveWright!

I completely agree 100% i looked at it and saw the silly design program and the specs and is basically a Tinkertoy compared to many other machines including the CW

fspearman1
06-18-2012, 06:48 AM
I completely agree 100% i looked at it and saw the silly design program and the specs and is basically a Tinkertoy compared to many other machines including the CW

Gee........you folks get all kinds of upset when someone trashes the Cavewright.

tierman
06-18-2012, 07:27 AM

Heys guys, I am not endorsing or critiquing this new machine but lets not forget what was said and published about the CW
when it first came out and look where we are now. All good things need to start somewhere.

b.sumner47
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
We're lucky to have the support of LHR and all the friends of this forum. There is no way to put a price on the way all has come aroumd over the years. I've never seen a group that was so willing to Help. Yet if you try to damage or show disreguard , the roof comes opens up and "LOOK OUT" The troops do more than rattles the sabors. Proud to be an owner and member of this group.

Capt Barry

TerryT
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, we can be a testy lil' bunch of ragamuffins.