PDA

View Full Version : board sensor replacement

Rustir
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
After cleaning lens would no longer work I finally got up enough nerve to peel off the plastic lens and now I am carving again. This means I will now need to replace the thing. I have searched the forum but have not found anyone stating how much it cost for the part and what I have to go through to do this.
I replaced the chuck with a carve tight but that is how far I ever got into this machine. Has anyone posted the procedure they went through and another thing is how do you get the little screws out without destroying the machine. Is the new lens plastic. Plastic is not the way to go. I would suggest glass.
I also agree with the others that you should be able to job to start and stop point just like the scanner probe. It would solve many problems especially having to add the seven inches.
Ought Oh! While typing this my bit slipped out of the carve tight and ruined a couple lines. Tightened her up and carving again. Lost only a couple lines. Well there goes my beautiful grain pattern and out comes the Quickwood. Good thing I'm a hand carver too.

jaroot
06-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Well I've replaced this sensor a couple of times. If I remember correctly, and that's a big if, it cost about $20. Really easy to change. Crank the head up near the top and use a stubby screw driver to take it out. I can't remember where the wire lead goes but it was obvious.

If you have problem check back in or PM me and I'll go out to the machine and refresh my memory.

AskBud
06-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Here is a link with Maintenance instructions for many of the items.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/support/maintenance.php

chief2007
06-17-2012, 07:20 AM
I took the board sensor and sealed it with silicone RTV. Then made a replacement lens with some clear model plastic, and sealed it on as well. I have done this with 2 board sensors and thus far is has worked really well. I will try and post a picture later

Rustir
06-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the direction as I see some of the information has been staring me in the face all the time. Finding it sometimes though is a little overwhelming.

DickB
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
You should be careful to get the correct type of RTV to seal or bond electronics. The byproducts of most acetoxy cure sealants are corrosive to metals such as copper. For example, compare these two GE products:

GE RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, Quick Cure, General Purpose
Not for use in delicate electrical and electronic applications in which corrosion of copper, brass, or other sensitive metals is undesirable.

GE RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, Electronics Grade, General Purpose One-Part
RTV162 is recommended for sealing and bonding electronic components onto PC boards, and protecting copper connections on electronic parts assemblies.

Digitalwoodshop
06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
That is something I did not know about Room Temperature Vulcanizer.... And I am an Electronic Guy....

THANKS !!!!

Good to know....

AL

chief2007
06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the great infoDickB,

I only applied the RTV on the plastic, none of the circuit board or wiring