PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a gloat

k9smith
06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Im a policeman and the one thing i dont like to do is take advanatge of my position for free things. so i stopped at one of the local manufaturing companies to ask about scrap solid surface pieces like corian. i talked to the owner and told him what i was looking for and told him i was wanting to purchase the scraps. he told me that he just throws the stuff away and would be glad to give me whatever he could. he told me to stop by today and he would have somethign for me. well this is what he had and i asked those are scraps? he said they were and will go in the trash. talked to some of the workers there and they too said the same thing. the are a big counter top company, wholesaler, that supplies big stores so i guess the dont mess with the small stuff. he said if i needed more to let him know and he would save some stuff from the trash pile. i also got two orders for lithopanes and of courrse will make something for the owner. Its all 1/2 so iwill be going through bits a little quicker but with what i saved i think that is a small price to pay. Most of it is artic white but there is also 6 other colors in the pie two i thnk its a total 20 pieces. Thanks for letting me gloat a litlte .

henry1
06-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Im a policeman and the one thing i dont like to do is take advanatge of my position for free things. so i stopped at one of the local manufaturing companies to ask about scrap solid surface pieces like corian. i talked to the owner and told him what i was looking for and told him i was wanting to purchase the scraps. he told me that he just throws the stuff away and would be glad to give me whatever he could. he told me to stop by today and he would have somethign for me. well this is what he had and i asked those are scraps? he said they were and will go in the trash. talked to some of the workers there and they too said the same thing. the are a big counter top company, wholesaler, that supplies big stores so i guess the dont mess with the small stuff. he said if i needed more to let him know and he would save some stuff from the trash pile. i also got two orders for lithopanes and of courrse will make something for the owner. Its all 1/2 so iwill be going through bits a little quicker but with what i saved i think that is a small price to pay. Most of it is artic white but there is also 6 other colors in the pie two i thnk its a total 20 pieces. Thanks for letting me gloat a litlte .

Wow that some corian---- were is that place LOL,, man you can make a few project with all that

fwharris
06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Joe,

Gloat away sir! Great find and will worth doing a lithopane for the owner. Do not just focus on doing lithos with all of that. It does make great coaster, signs and such!

SteveJ
06-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Congrats on the find! I bet you can put it all to good use. I got a call today that my red oak lumber is done at the kiln. We sawed it last August and have been waiting for the solar kiln to git er done! Well, I have wanted this for years, ( 1,000 bft ) now I have to figuire out where to put it and hope my boys help Dad out for Father's day. Good luck on your Corian carving!

k9smith
06-15-2012, 03:05 PM

well its all in the shop and the biggest piece is 5' x 30". Floyd i am defintley going to try some signs and coasters with it. boy that stuff is heavy 19 pieces total.
Steve congrats on the lumber i dont envy you trying to find a place put it though.:)

TerryT
06-15-2012, 03:50 PM

well its all in the shop and the biggest piece is 5' x 30". Floyd i am defintley going to try some signs and coasters with it. boy that stuff is heavy 19 pieces total.
Steve congrats on the lumber i dont envy you trying to find a place put it though.:)

Joe at 5 feet by 30" that is one heck of a scrap! I think I have seen counter tops that size for bathroom vanities go for $300 to $400 aorund here.

k9smith
06-15-2012, 04:56 PM
he told me that they throw stuff like that away all the time and was glad it was going to get used.

b.sumner47
06-15-2012, 07:53 PM
What a find.

Capt Barry

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Great Score !!!!

Happy Carving !!!!

AL

Capt Bruce
06-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Two words - GOLD MINE. Congratulations on the find, now make us proud and create some dust. Looking forward to what this becomes.