PDA

View Full Version : Scrolls filagrees etc

jpaluck
06-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I found this cool video on how to models scrolls. There is almost nothing out there on it. I have had such a mental block with making these in quads but firgured it was the way to go. I make these in Moi using rail sweeps and lofts but they are VERY time consuming to say the least with drawing cross section etc...much faster in quads to be able to tweak things a lot faster on the fly. Now time to practice these some more.

The thing that was really funny to me I have been searching for a while trying to find some good tutorials on this and I had a pic from a Dover book on scrolls that I was toying with and bang I stumble on this video and he is using the exact same scroll.

Here is the link to the tutorial http://3dexport.com/3dtuts/3d-tutorials/modeling-luxury-interior-part-2-scroll/

In the video he using 3ds max but you can use any poly modelor to make this..ie blender whatever..I followed along using Modo

fwharris
06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Nice stumble John! Thanks for the share!

eelamb
06-10-2012, 07:03 PM
John you produce great patterns.

easybuilt
06-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks John for the link and sharing your talent!

ladjr
06-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks John for sharen

Leo

mtylerfl
06-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, lookie here! I saw the scroll John posted and went to the video link. I decided....hmmm, this would be an interesting challenge for Designer's new tools!! So, I took a screen capture of the scroll shown in the video and imported it into the new Designer using the "Import Tracing Image" feature.

Here was my process as I continue to learn what the new tools are capable of...I timed myself to see exactly how long this would take me to do it!

1) I studied the design, and in my mind, broke it up into 6 "parts" that made up the entire piece (5 minutes)
2) Then I outlined each of the 6 "parts" using the new Smart Spline Drawing Tool and "tweaked" the lines to line up well with the original image (24 minutes)
3) Then I selected each shape and used only the Puff Feature to create all the shapes. I played with depth and height settings to get the result you see below (10 minutes)

I am sure with some more practice, I could do this faster...total time was exactly 39 minutes. Also, I did not use any of the tools in the Pattern Editor, which could be used to manually add some odds and ends detail if I wanted to. Overall, I was pretty pleased with the result of my experiment!

liquidguitars
06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice job all around!

jpaluck
06-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Looks Good MT..

jpaluck
06-15-2012, 02:06 AM
The video I posted here helped a lot things " click" in my head with quad modeling - plus practicing.. and looking at wireframes at turbosquid 3d studio, they have some nice 2.5 models to study wireframes from. Here is one I almost done with...just have to add some acanthus leaves at the bottom. The model is getting quite large so had to break it up in pics..wont fit on my screen

eelamb
06-15-2012, 06:41 AM
WOW, John that looks great, The details from side views really show off the work you have done on this.

b.sumner47
06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
John, I'm lost for words. Love it !!!

Capt Barry

jpaluck
06-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks Capt Barry and Eddie,

Finished it this evening...lol not a 20 min job but not too bad either. I can see getting faster with this the more I do. Think I will bring into zbrush and sculpt some on the leaves. I wish I could find a good tutorial watching someone quad model an acanthus leaf.

jpaluck
06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks captn Barry and Eddie,

Finished it this evening...lol not a 20 min job but not too bad either. I can see getting faster with this the more I do. Think I will bring into zbrush and sculpt some on the leaves. I wish I could find a good tutorial watching someone quad model an acanthus leaf.

LittleRedWoodshop
06-15-2012, 10:47 PM
looks real good John ... you should be proud of that

easybuilt
06-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Lookin great John!

eelamb
06-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Great work John, I know that was not an easy one.

ladjr
06-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Great job John. You have a great talent for designing and creating beautiful projects.

Leo

rcdages
06-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice job John,

You always do good ptn's.

jpaluck
06-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Here is the next one I am working on..this is a tutorial I am following so I can take no credit for design etc. This guy has some great tutorials on his site...watching him make the mirror was awsome..20 min and done...lol wish I was that fast. It would be awsome to figure out a way to slice this table and carve but not sure it's feasible..LG will know..lol my mind still swimming learning the modeling end - need to learn how to keep everything in exact dimensions with quads ( easy with nurbs/moi)...very cool though because it gives the basic techniques for a lot of things that have been stumping/mind blocking me. He is using 3dsmax..I been using modo..can use any poly modelor to follow a long..just diff names for tools etc.
http://viscorbel.com/

liquidguitars
06-17-2012, 05:36 PM
That's killer! and looks like quads...

eelamb
06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
LG said it right, KILLER model, lots of details. John, about that amateur status, I think you have moved into the professional status.

CNC Carver
06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Great work guys. Wish I had more time to play.

b.sumner47
06-18-2012, 04:05 PM
That looks nice, John. Please keep us updated.

Capt Barry

jpaluck
06-18-2012, 08:35 PM
another one I did this evening..lol have to stay on this this time..lol this now might get away from nurbs...took long enough for the light bulbs to start going off