PDA

View Full Version : Just want to post a general thank you to all the helpful souls out there.

Ian
06-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I didn't know where to post this. An elderly friend of mine (think adoptive grandfather), purchased his CW about 3 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately, he isn't as handy with a computer as he thought he was, so his machine has sat gathering dust for most of this time. I recently moved to the same town as he, and he asked me to see what I could do with his machine.

I discovered, that because of issues he was having, he took it upon himself to fix the machine (which he didn't know how to operate,so was the biggest issue of all, lol). He and a friend decided to open it up and see what's wrong with it. Upon putting it back together, it didn't work at all. I show up and it is up to me to figure out what is wrong, not the nicest place to be.

To make a long story short, Thanks to all of the helpful posts on this forum, I was able to diagnose what the problems were, and how to correct them in relative short order. My friend was all set to just throw away the machine as it didn't work worth beans, but is now happily watching me play with it while learning how to use it properly. I have started out making a few simple wall hangings for my kids, and am now in the process of designing a sign for a friend of his.

I hope that I can show this machine justice is what it can do.

Again Thanks to all the helpful people on this site.

Ian

fwharris
06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Ian,

Great job in using the forum for finding the resolution to your machine issues and another great job of stepping in to help out GrandPa and show him that the machine will work if used correctly.

dbfletcher
06-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Please post pics of some of your projects. We are always thrilled to see projects... from the super simple "look it my first carve" all the way the the "OMG.. how did he do that" creations from the likes of Doug Haffner, LG, Lawrence, and many more.

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Great Job !!!! Congratulations !!!!

AL

crfahy
06-09-2012, 09:45 PM
The wealth of information and sharing on this forum will undoubtedly answer all your questions and contribute to the continued enjoyment of the Carvewright! Happy carving!!

BBrooks
06-10-2012, 05:31 AM
That's a great story Ian. It speaks of the great community here as well as yours at home.
Welcome aboard!

Ian
06-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I have included 2 pictures of my first 2 projects. The first, I was able to import the mpc file from this forum somewhere ( I can't remember from who, but I thank whoever it was). My daughter, who I have always call Samm, informed me that she loved anything to do with Superman. So it only seemed like a perfect fit to make a door sign with her name on it.53991

The second one, I had to do a bit more work. I decided to make a sign for all of my kids, so I asked my eldest daughter who her favorite hero was, and her reply was "Transformers" and "Optimus Prime", and "Bumble Bee". So I decided to start looking for pictures of any and all three of those requests. I found pictures that I hoped would work for transformers and optimus, but no luck with bumble bee. I uploaded the pictures I found, loaded them into my paint program and began some tweaking. After a few failed attempts, I achieved my goal. I was never able to find an image for bumble bee, so I used "his" colors for my daughter's name. She thought that was even better than finding a picture of bumble bee, so I guess I did ok.

I am currently working on a door sign for my son, and will try and post a pre painted and post painted version of that one.53990

eelamb
06-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Ian, those came out great. love you paint job.

fwharris
06-17-2012, 01:52 AM
Ian,

Well done on both the pattern editing and painting not to mention making something for the kids! :-D

easybuilt
06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Ian, Nice job on your painting of these projects. I am looking forward to seeing your future projects.

TerryT
06-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Very nicely done signs Ian. Good work.