PDA

View Full Version : Setting exact order of vector cuts?

LarryLesniak
06-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Well, I'm back again with another question! You forum members have been very good to me with your help and advice and I've run into another question about the operation of the software and machine that I'm hoping you can answer for me. I've searched the archive and messages currently in the forum and couldn't find an answer to the following question:

Is it possible to set the exact order of vector cuts?

I have a design that uses a series of parallel vector cuts of increasing depth to create a long slope. The results are excellent but I'd like the machine to start with the shallowest, topmost cut first then work OUTWARD and DOWN the slope. I watched the machine during a test cut and it starts with the deepest outside cut then works back INWARD and UP the slope. I'm thinking that making the cuts so they create open space for the deeper cuts will allow the bit to eject cut debris more quickly and easily and reduce strain on the bit. Do I even need to worry about this? Is there any way to specify the order in which the machine makes these parallel vector cuts?

As always, your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Larry

mtylerfl
06-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi Larry,

I've never really paid attention to the OUTWARD and DOWN or INWARD and UP cut direction/order of vectors on the CW and do not know for sure whether there is any way to control that. Some software programs for other CNC machines do allow for that type of control, and I do use it at times.

For example, some programs will (by default) begin the cut at the starting vertex of the vector (i.e., the starting point where the user originally started the drawn vector in the first place - this can be a known starting point of the bit...it depends on which options are chosen in the particular control software, though). A recent discussion with LG seemed to indicate that he has noticed similar behavour for the CW, so it may be possible to have some kind of control after all. Again, I have not paid attention, nor had a chance to run any tests on this myself. Perhaps LG will share his observations if he sees this post, or you can conduct your own test and see what happens. Try drawing a few vectors from left-to-right and some from right-to-left, then run a test carve to observe whether this yields a cut "direction" or "start-point" difference.

bergerud
06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
It is true, the vector cuts follow each path as it was drawn. I have many times retraced a cut backwards just to change the cutting direction. For example, in milling out pockets, you want to start from the inside and mill outward like the drill operation. You should think about minimizing climb milling and watch out for the milling of thin last bits which could break out. Unfortunately, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the milling order. You can, however, alternate your line directions and at least mill in both directions.

liquidguitars
06-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I noticed that you have a bit of control over the speeds and direction with some of the bits like the 1/16, In Designer the first point made in the spline shape or path is the start of the bits in-point location the second point you make is the direction of the bit, the number of points can control the speed more points slower less points faster. If i start something left to right with my spline tool the bits follows left to right, also if i make a line thats just two points the CW bit speeds will be faster than the same line with 20 points.

This way if your cutting cross grain you can set two paths cutting from the outside in like planing end grain without blow out, regarding what path cuts first i think the inside goes first but will change when compiling.

As a side note: AL, uses the 1/4 bit due to the constant speed not dependent on vertexs... I think the term he used is " clutching:

liquidguitars
06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
It is true, the vector cuts follow each path as it was drawn. I have many times retraced a cut backwards just to change the cutting direction. For example, in milling out pockets, you want to start from the inside and mill outward like the drill operation. You should think about minimizing climb milling and watch out for the milling of thin last bits which could break out. Unfortunately, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the milling order. You can, however, alternate your line directions and at least mill in both directions.

I agree...

cestout
06-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I have noticed that which cut happens next depends a lot on where the bit ends up after the last vector cut. For instance, centerline text will start at the start at the far end and work backward. If a vector cut is next it will start at the near end. If there is no centrline, then the first vector cut will start at the far end, ie. the closest place to where you install the bit. Cutouts always start at the point closest the the keypad an the left end - close end. If there are 2 cutouts, the one closest to the to the bit installation position will carve first starting at the hignest point on the left.

Clint