PDA

View Full Version : Loading images

MKBart
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Howdy, I just bought Pattern Editor for my second hand Carvewright, and I'm trying to load images that are JPG.
I only get the selection for mpw and ptn images. I checked in the help and read this:
"1) Go to the ��File�� menu and select ��Open��.
2) Browse to where you have the particular image saved. ��The software default setting has it looking for MPW file types. ��MPW files are basic artwork files that the software uses. ��This can be changed to other file types, such as JPEG, GIF, BMP, or PNG file types. "

My version is 1.182 BUild 9788
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thank You in advance,
MKBart

fwharris
06-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Howdy, I just bought Pattern Editor for my second hand Carvewright, and I'm trying to load images that are JPG.
I only get the selection for mpw and ptn images. I checked in the help and read this:
"1) Go to the 􏺓File􏺔 menu and select 􏺓Open􏺔.
2) Browse to where you have the particular image saved. 􏺠The software default setting has it looking for MPW file types. 􏺠MPW files are basic artwork files that the software uses. 􏺠This can be changed to other file types, such as JPEG, GIF, BMP, or PNG file types. "

MKBart

Try using "import"!!

MKBart
06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I can do that, but if I read the help file correctly, I should be able to Open an image (which would be a better quality image)
"You can directly open image files in PE. This is probably the preferred way to do it as the ��Import Image�� tool has a lower limitation on the size (quality) of patterns it will produce.�� The Pattern Editor will allow for greater quality images to be opened into the software.��"
Unless the Pattern Editor Import is different than Project Designer Import.
MKBart

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2012, 06:35 PM
You right click on the Favorite for the patterns in your library. Open a board and select the pattern shell and right click on the Favorite... Import...

AL

bjbethke
06-05-2012, 06:36 PM
"1) Go to the ��File�� menu and select ��Open��.
2) Browse to where you have the particular image saved. ��The software default setting has it looking for MPW file types. ��MPW files are basic artwork files that the software uses. ��This can be changed to other file types, such as JPEG, GIF, BMP, or PNG file types. "

MKBart

"JPG" are JPEG files, It is best to use PNG (.png) format, Other formats will add a background.

fwharris
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
In Pattern editor the only way to load an image to be edited to make a pattern is to use the import function. I've loaded files from 10kb to 4 meg with no problems. The higher the resolution the better. Like BJB stated PNG file formats do better than BMP, JPEG, ETC.
The "open" function in PE is to load an existing CW art file (mpw) or a pattern that you have already worked with.

In designer when you import an image you are taking that image and making an instant pattern out of it. No editing can be done to it.

MKBart
06-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Let's see if I can clarify what I'm trying to do: I'm trying to load a JPG (also known as a JPEG) image into Pattern Editor using the Open command following the directions in the Pattern Editor help file as I quote here.
"You can directly open image files in PE. This is probably the preferred way to do it as the ��Import Image�� tool has a lower limitation on the size (quality) of patterns it will produce.�� The Pattern Editor will allow for greater quality images to be opened into the software.�� To open an image into the Pattern Editor software, use these quick and easy steps.
1) Go to the ��File�� menu and select ��Open��.
2) Browse to where you have the particular image saved. ��The software default setting has it looking for MPW file types. ��MPW files are basic artwork files that the software uses. ��This can be changed to other file types, such as JPEG, GIF, BMP, or PNG file types.
3) Select the image you wish to open and then click on the ��Open�� button in the ��Open Image�� dialog box.
The image will then appear on your screen in the standard Pattern Editor format"
The Pattern Editor software Open command only allows me the file types of MPW and PTN unlike the directions above state.
I hope this re-deffinition of the problem helps,

Digitalwoodshop
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
My Bad.... No editing.... OK... Learned something...

AL or is it LA....

fwharris
06-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Some good info and tools on the Pattern Editor found @ http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/patterneditortutors.php

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_July08.pdf

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug08.pdf

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Oct09.pdf

bergerud
06-05-2012, 09:04 PM
file - import -> import image file

fwharris
06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
file - import -> import image file

:-D !!!!!!!!!!!!

badbert
06-05-2012, 09:32 PM
I do not have editor. But it sounds to me they are describing a "Drop down menu" right now it says "MPW or PTN" can you click on it and open a menu to change the file types?

bergerud
06-05-2012, 09:40 PM
It is not under file open. There is another option in the file menu to import an image file. The choices to import are .bmp,.jpg,.jpeg,.png,.gif, or .xpm.

fwharris
06-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I do not have editor. But it sounds to me they are describing a "Drop down menu" right now it says "MPW or PTN" can you click on it and open a menu to change the file types?

In your very first post you stated you got the Pattern Editor software. This is PE or editor!

Trust us if you are trying to load and "image" into PE the only way is to "import" it. You can not "open" a standard image, only the MPW or PTN....

badbert
06-05-2012, 10:35 PM
I was trying to help...I am not trying to interfere... But hopefully I can teach an old dog a new trick so to speak. When you click open, navigate to the folder where you have your image stored. You will not be able to see your files, because it is looking for PTN or MPW files. But an old DOS prompt still works in Window 7! Simply type *** (shift + 8 three times) and press enter. Now you can choose the image to open! TRY IT!!

AskBud
06-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I was trying to help...I am not trying to interfere... But hopefully I can teach an old dog a new trick so to speak. When you click open, navigate to the folder where you have your image stored. You will not be able to see your files, because it is looking for PTN or MPW files. But an old DOS prompt still works in Window 7! Simply type *** (shift + 8 three times) and press enter. Now you can choose the image to open! TRY IT!!It works! However just to fine tune the instructions a smidge, I'll add/modify this.

While you have pattern Editor activated, click open, and navigate to the folder where you have your image stored.
You will not be able to see your files, because it is looking for PTN or MPW files.
Drop down to the File-name section and use an old DOS prompt which still works in Window 7! Simply type *** (shift + 8 three times) and press enter.
Now you can choose the image to open with a double-click! From there you may edit as you like.
AskBud

badbert
06-06-2012, 12:01 AM
It works! However just to fine tune the instructions a smidge, I'll add/modify this.

While you have pattern Editor activated, click open, and navigate to the folder where you have your image stored.
You will not be able to see your files, because it is looking for PTN or MPW files.
Drop down to the File-name section and use an old DOS prompt which still works in Window 7! Simply type *** (shift + 8 three times) and press enter.
Now you can choose the image to open with a double-click! From there you may edit as you like.
AskBud

Good catch Bud! I am a big fan of your tutorials!

fwharris
06-06-2012, 01:13 AM
I was trying to help...I am not trying to interfere... But hopefully I can teach an old dog a new trick so to speak. When you click open, navigate to the folder where you have your image stored. You will not be able to see your files, because it is looking for PTN or MPW files. But an old DOS prompt still works in Window 7! Simply type *** (shift + 8 three times) and press enter. Now you can choose the image to open! TRY IT!!

badbert, hey my bad! Read the start of your post and did not see who posted. Thought it was the original..

Thanks for the great tip!

AskBud
06-06-2012, 02:40 AM
On post #1 of this thread MKBart posed a good question about importing images to pattern editor.
Several of us responded with suggestions.
I could not sleep without making a 208 MB AVI lesson on this unique question.
The lesson titled "Pattern Editor Part-4" is is linked below.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Pattern Editor Part-4.zip

badbert
06-06-2012, 02:49 AM
On post #1 of this thread MKBart posed a good question about importing images to pattern editor.
Several of us responded with suggestions.
I could not sleep without making a 208 MB AVI lesson on this unique question.
The lesson titled "Pattern Editor Part-4" is is linked below.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Pattern Editor Part-4.zip

Bud, I would have bet the farm youwould make it, the only question was when! I'll have to wait until TomOrRow. It can keEp me company TomorRow, while the 18 hour carving finishes. I'm looking forward to watching it. Thank you for taking time To educate Us!

MKBart
06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Aha! BadBert and AskBud have provided the missing procedure in the PE help file for the Open command! The AVI lesson was right on the spot and have answered my question. The *** procedure worked with my XP and now I'm a Happy Little Carver. THANK Y'ALL for the help!
MKBart

badbert
06-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Bud is the master here, I am a newbie. Askbud and his Tutorials have been my mentor. I learn new things every day here!