PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to add bits to the library?

LarryLesniak
06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I have a design that I'd need to carve with a flat bottom straight 1/4" bit but no such entry exists in the standard bit library. Is it possible to add this bit to the library so that the machine recognizes it or am I restricted to the bits already defined? If I'm not able to add this bit I'll have to redesign my project to do 2x the passes with the 1/8" bit. Not a big issue as the cuts are all vectors and should run quickly, but it would be nice to be able to run them in half the time.

Thanks in advance for any info and/or advice you can provide!

Larry

AskBud
06-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I have a design that I'd need to carve with a flat bottom straight 1/4" bit but no such entry exists in the standard bit library. Is it possible to add this bit to the library so that the machine recognizes it or am I restricted to the bits already defined? If I'm not able to add this bit I'll have to redesign my project to do 2x the passes with the 1/8" bit. Not a big issue as the cuts are all vectors and should run quickly, but it would be nice to be able to run them in half the time.

Thanks in advance for any info and/or advice you can provide!

LarrySee if assigning the 1/4" ballnose bit will give you the result you wish. Just substitute the 1/4" flat bit when prompted.
AskBud

LarryLesniak
06-05-2012, 08:37 PM
See if assigning the 1/4" ballnose bit will give you the result you wish. Just substitute the 1/4" flat bit when prompted.
AskBud

Thanks for your reply to my question. While this would certainly work with the carving and finished project it makes it very difficult to visualize the design. As you'll see in the MPC I attached I'm attempting to create a wooden part with a couple of levels starting with a small runner in the center, then a flat on both sides, then a slope down to the edge of the board. The ballnose bit creates a wavy surface when vector lines are run side-by-side to create the flats and while the machine output would be OK but it looks really, really odd in the designer. I decided to go ahead and create the design using the 1/8" cutting bit which gives me the flats I need and a stepped slope for the sides. The slopes will sand out easily so I think this is the best way to go. Again, thanks for your reply AND for your incredible support of the forum and all the questions posted by newbies like me!

Larry

unknowncarver
06-05-2012, 09:06 PM
If you rotate your pattern I think you will find you have some anomaly's There are areas where small slivers of wood are left.

LarryLesniak
06-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Unknowncarver - thanks for your reply to my thread and for noticing the very small areas of wood left after carving. This was actually intentional as I didn't want to carve off the end of the board and leave the base unsupported against the edge guides. Does that make sense? I wanted the vector cuts to step down but stop short of the edge of the board thus leaving the slivers you noticed. Again, thanks for your post!

unknowncarver
06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
No problem, I carved a cross once and did not notice the same slivers until after carving and then sanded and cut them off. later I adjusted the pattern to remove them on the subsequent carves.