PDA

View Full Version : text spacing and letter sizing

jab73180
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
i am wondering if there is anyway to edit the text box when trying to create multiple lines. The line spacing is way to much for my taste. when using single lines placed where i want them i dont get the same letter size if using upper and lower case letters. It would be nice if i could arrange the words within the text box the way i want them and have all the words come out the same size. maybe there is a way to do it, i just dont know how.

AskBud
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
i am wondering if there is anyway to edit the text box when trying to create multiple lines. The line spacing is way to much for my taste. when using single lines placed where i want them i dont get the same letter size if using upper and lower case letters. It would be nice if i could arrange the words within the text box the way i want them and have all the words come out the same size. maybe there is a way to do it, i just dont know how.Please attach your MPC so we may see the text.
AskBud

fwharris
06-04-2012, 08:25 PM
i am wondering if there is anyway to edit the text box when trying to create multiple lines. The line spacing is way to much for my taste. when using single lines placed where i want them i dont get the same letter size if using upper and lower case letters. It would be nice if i could arrange the words within the text box the way i want them and have all the words come out the same size. maybe there is a way to do it, i just dont know how.

Create your first line of text and get it sized the way you want. Next, with your text highlighted do a copy and past. Place your new text box then "edit" the new text and type in your new text line. It should keep the same text size...

mtylerfl
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Create your first line of text and get it sized the way you want. Next, with your text highlighted do a copy and past. Place your new text box then "edit" the new text and type in your new text line. It should keep the same text size...

I don't think that will work.

Another way...

1) type your first line of text, and size it as desired on your board
2) type a second line of text on the board
3) select your first line of text and make note of the text hieght dimension
4) select the second line of text and type in the same height dimension as the first

This will yield text that is all the same size.

brdad
06-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I use the same method as mtylerfl, but will also note you may have to remove any attachments if present as the text will (may?) warp by not changing the width proportionally when the height is changed.

fwharris
06-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't think that will work.

Another way...

1) type your first line of text, and size it as desired on your board
2) type a second line of text on the board
3) select your first line of text and make note of the text hieght dimension
4) select the second line of text and type in the same height dimension as the first

This will yield text that is all the same size.

Well strange! I did a test to verify my statement. I posted this based on my recall of someone posting the same back when. Two of the three words kept the same text height.

jab73180
06-05-2012, 06:31 AM
If there is a letter that goes below the bottom line it adds that to the height. Lower case y or j. Or if the letter is tall it does the same. Like l or f. There needs to be more consistency.

brdad
06-05-2012, 06:35 AM
I just remembered another issue that IIRC exists with either method. I am away from home so I can't verify. And that is if one of the lines has no caps or has a character that is of non-standard height, like a J that drops way low, the text will not be of the correct proportion despite having the same height.

I seem to recall on one project I made my desired text as multi-line for a template, then made each line one by one, placing it over the other text, scaling it to match the multi-line template. It's be nice if they could have some way to do this without having to figure out work-arounds.

EDIT: Jason beat me to it!

mtylerfl
06-05-2012, 07:24 AM
If there is a letter that goes below the bottom line it adds that to the height. Lower case y or j. Or if the letter is tall it does the same. Like l or f. There needs to be more consistency.

You are right, Jason. I assumed all capital letters when mentioning the quick re-size method...not sure WHY I assumed that. My bad. Lower-case letters with "tails" will throw that method off as you pointed out.

Brdad's method of superimposing the lines and resizing manually is a viable method, and I've done that myself. Takes a bit of "eyeballing" it, but displaying the Grid temporarily can help to get the sizing pretty close to where it looks visually correct.

jab73180
06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Great workaround fellas. Maybe this can be a designer wish list item.

LittleRedWoodshop
06-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Yes ... someone please fix this ... been fighting it for years.

DocWheeler
06-05-2012, 10:37 PM
It seems I'm always late to the party!
I have not checked in for a few days when I should have.

Tried several methods and settled on one that works most of the time.
To have it come out right you need to have a letter or so common in the lines of text.

Type and size a line, then type the other lines. And then type a single letter that appears in both/several lines.
Adjust the single letter to exactly cover that same letter in the lines, adjusting the lines until the exact size is created.
More work than I like, but it works.