PDA

View Full Version : Cut motor sensor not reading

cestout
06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
B machine with CT and 800+ hours the cut motor stays at zero. Cuts ok, just press Enter to continue. Is there a simple fix short of replacing the cut motor?
Thanks in advance,
Clint

chief2007
06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Could be the circuit board on the cut motor - Do you have one to change out to test?

Would hate to think the magnetic pick up is bad, but it does happen.

cestout
06-01-2012, 07:50 PM
That was what I was thinking and it shouldn't be too expensive. I don't think the magnet is replaceable so I would just live with pushing the enter button. I need to order bits next week so I will order one then, but I wanted other opinions.
Thanks
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
06-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Well.... Deep Subject.... This is dated info from 2007 and 2008... Don't know what was done with the "B" versions for sure.... BUT.....

You can remove the Circuit board and take a shop magnet and wave it over the underside of the Circuit board that has a magnetic sensor in it... While reading the pulses on the LCD. It will half split the troubleshooting... IF the circuit board counts 0001, 0002, 0003 as you wave a magnet then it works.... Stays 0000 and that is not good....

The Cut Motor has a Magnet on the Shaft, and I ASSUME that the "B" version already has the retainer but I am not sure...

Here are pictures showing the 2007 version with the Heat Shrink that was failing, then finally a plastic retainer. At one time they sold the retainer for us to press on and later you needed to send in the motor.... You can see the dates on the pictures.

Good Luck,

AL

cestout
06-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks Al, I am sure I have a magnet around here somewhere to test the board. I should be able to look in the hole to see what the retainer looks like.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I hear the magnet is the same as the one glued in the Bit Box as they have been found inside the machine. They stick to the bit and rip out of the bit case and end up flung inside the machine when the bit rotates.

AL

cestout
06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I have a LED flash light from Harbor freight that has a magnet to hang it up with, I used that. I had to put masking tape over the connections below the plug because hitting them with the magnet gave a false reading as does disconnecting and connecting the cable (which proves continuity to the computer). Anyway, 0 reading from the card discounting the falses. Thanks again for the trouble shooting tip. I should have thunked of that myself, I was a Com Tech for the phone company for 40 years and always isolated problems that way.
Clint