PDA

View Full Version : How to create "tapered" edges

Picketoaks
06-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi... a new owner here... I hope everyone is enjoying their CW.

I'm testing my machine with a simple fish pattern, which I created in Designer using the spline tool. I was able to upload it and perform a simple carved outline of the drawing with the provided 1/16th tapered bit. So far, so good, but so flat...

Now I would like to know how to create "tapered" edges for the pattern to give the fish added dimension as I plan to cut it out too for painting and mounting.

Please note that I don't know how to ask this or what the right vocabulary is yet but I guess it is akin to the new Pattern Modeling software just released that does "puffing". Although the new software looks sweet I don't necessarily want to invest in it yet if there is a simple way to accomplish this same effect within Designer - i.e., as I'm still new.

I would appreciate any assistance with this next learning step.

Thanks for your consideration.

Joel

myshop1044
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Don't be affraid to ask questions, I think you want to use the DRAFT function.
look on the icon bars for a upside down T, this will allow you to put a tapered side on your pattern and also on any
raster lettering. This will keep you from chipping off the top of the letters if they are too thin or high.

Perry B
Myshop1044

AskBud
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
With the item highlighted, click CARVING > DRAFT and select the setting you wish.
AskBud

bergerud
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
The only thing I think you can use are domes. Under tools - select surface. You may be able to merge some different domes. Copy and paste your fish outline and apply different domes to each copy and merge on top of each other. Play with merge style and the heights. That is all I can think of inside the Designer program.

AskBud
06-01-2012, 12:38 PM
OK, We may be tilting at windmills here.
Attach your MPC (design) so we may see what you have done so far. We're not sure if you just have an outline, or if you have converted that to a carve region. Domed may be applied to carve regions or patterns. Draft may be applied these area as well.

If you have already solved the problem, let us know that and we can move on.
AskBud

bjbethke
06-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi... a new owner here... I hope everyone is enjoying their CW.

I'm testing my machine with a simple fish pattern, which I created in Designer using the spline tool. I was able to upload it and perform a simple carved outline of the drawing with the provided 1/16th tapered bit. So far, so good, but so flat...

Now I would like to know how to create "tapered" edges for the pattern to give the fish added dimension as I plan to cut it out too for painting and mounting.

Please note that I don't know how to ask this or what the right vocabulary is yet but I guess it is akin to the new Pattern Modeling software just released that does "puffing". Although the new software looks sweet I don't necessarily want to invest in it yet if there is a simple way to accomplish this same effect within Designer - i.e., as I'm still new.

I would appreciate any assistance with this next learning step.

Thanks for your consideration.

Joel

The CW unit carves with Grayscale images (Raster). You need a program that makes Grayscale images. I use ShaderMap Pro most of the time. It is quick and easy to use and only cost $29.00

Picketoaks
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks all... I will explore the options provided and try things out.

AskBud
06-01-2012, 04:55 PM
New software on the way! Check out the Demo on this link.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20771-NEW-3d-Pattern-Modeling-amp-Drawing-Suite-SNEAK-PEEK!&p=178303#post178303