PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question.. on carving out projects/carrier boards

lishmantr
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Hello Everyone, I just received my carvewright yesterday and have a question on carving. If Im carving to the edges of boards or close to the edges then I have to have a carrier sled right? I have to have an extra 3.5 inches beyond my carving if I understand correctly to stay under the rollers. Also, I want to make coasters and know Im going to have to make some carriers. I havent seen/found any instructions on the best way to make carriers. Does anyone know of a thread or have a link to the best or a selection of different ways to assemble as well as differnt materials. I would think I need to avoid using scrrews if possible, maybe just using glue and tape but I really need a little input on the better/best way :) Thanks in advance.

chief2007
05-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Try this link to the Tips and tricks

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf

AskBud
05-31-2012, 07:56 PM
My "Download" link, below, has a lesson (PDF) Titled "Multi-Use Sled" which may also help in your thinking. There are tons of posts on the subject. Try words link Sled, Jig, Rails, or Carrier.
AskBud

ladjr
05-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Before you go to Ebay and buy the patterns, please check out pattern sharing. I beleive you will find everything you want for free there

Leo

fwharris
05-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Before you go to Ebay and buy the patterns, please check out pattern sharing. I beleive you will find everything you want for free there

Leo

Like Leo said :p !!!!

lishmantr
05-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks Chief, thats exactly what I was looking for. I had seen it once befor but couldnt find it again. I have had 2 brain injuries so sometimes it takes me quite a few times to know and get something...

lishmantr
05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys for the tips, they are very appreciated. Ladjr, I will be sure to check that out. I dont plan on buying any patterns, looking to create my own but it will be very useful until I can figure things out.

chief2007
06-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Thanks Chief, thats exactly what I was looking for. I had seen it once befor but couldnt find it again. I have had 2 brain injuries so sometimes it takes me quite a few times to know and get something...

Anytime and that is what the forum is all about - if you need something give me a shout.

AskBud
06-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Thanks guys for the tips, they are very appreciated. Ladjr, I will be sure to check that out. I dont plan on buying any patterns, looking to create my own but it will be very useful until I can figure things out.When looking for free patterns start here.
http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046
and here
http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?32-Patterns

When looking for lessons, my "Download link below has a comprehensive listing of various links including the Tips & Tricks from carve Wright.
AskBud

ridgecrest
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Concerning the patterns that are in the free section, is it permissable to use one or more of them on an item that you intend to sell? or is that a no no? I'm just getting started with the CW and I want to make sure that what I do is on the up and up.

AskBud
06-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Concerning the patterns that are in the free section, is it permissable to use one or more of them on an item that you intend to sell? or is that a no no? I'm just getting started with the CW and I want to make sure that what I do is on the up and up.The short answer is YES, you may sell items carved using the "Free" patterns on the Forum.

The only caution would be to respect the copyright(s) of Team, School, or Company Logo(s). Sometimes those also show up in the free sections, however you risk the wrath of that organization should you market that item.
AskBud

ridgecrest
06-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Great! I am aware or copyright(s) of logos and names. Thanks