PDA

View Full Version : It sounded good when I made the statement.

WoodenWizard
05-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Well, yesterday I had a great time with my Grandson at the GA RenFair. Of course he saw all the wooden swords. I looked at them and thought, I bet this could be made with the carvewright. So I said "Grandpa can make you one of those". So I find myself today looking at pictures on the internet, reviewing Gimp and ShaderMap Pro tutorials etc to go about this. Now I know I can cut out the basic shape of a sword and he actualy will be happy with that. I am going to take it as a chance to learn something even if I have to kill myself doing it..haha Has anyone attempted to do this and do you have any suggestions? This is the picture I am going to attemp to make one from.

AskBud
05-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Well, yesterday I had a great time with my Grandson at the GA RenFair. Of course he saw all the wooden swords. I looked at them and thought, I bet this could be made with the carvewright. So I said "Grandpa can make you one of those". So I find myself today looking at pictures on the internet, reviewing Gimp and ShaderMap Pro tutorials etc to go about this. Now I know I can cut out the basic shape of a sword and he actualy will be happy with that. I am going to take it as a chance to learn something even if I have to kill myself doing it..haha Has anyone attempted to do this and do you have any suggestions? This is the picture I am going to attemp to make one from.
This link has a 2-sided MPC titled "Sword 1a.MPC" that may just fit the bill.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046

WoodenWizard
05-27-2012, 10:55 AM
This link has a 2-sided MPC titled "Sword 1a.MPC" that may just fit the bill.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046

Actualy that will work just fine. I can at least get one started while I do some learning time.... Many thanks Bud.

jpaluck
05-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Here is another one for you..if you want the stl, which is probably the way to go to cut it up for the sizing you want ( assuming you have the importer)...pm me and I will get it to you. How to do this in Gimp? no clue..Alan's will know...this took all of 15 min with moi.

bjbethke
05-27-2012, 02:36 PM

I have one will this work?

lawrence
05-27-2012, 02:53 PM
this is a great example of "find one in google sketchup, export it to collada, import with meshmixer, export from meshmixer to STL and import stl into designer. It takes longer to type that than it does for me to do it (just about)-- Meshmixer and sketchup are free and all you need is the STL importer... VERY easy to do

Lawrence

WoodenWizard
05-27-2012, 04:34 PM
this is a great example of "find one in google sketchup, export it to collada, import with meshmixer, export from meshmixer to STL and import stl into designer. It takes longer to type that than it does for me to do it (just about)-- Meshmixer and sketchup are free and all you need is the STL importer... VERY easy to do

Lawrence

Haha All my mind said was "Oh is that all?" I realy appreciate the help on this. Along with the 10% discount I broke down and got the importer. So I will be trying to see how easy it realy is.. The people on this site continue to amaze me. Thanks to all of you.

BJB thx for the quick pattern That one will work well as a dagger or short sword also...

jpaluck. I realy want to try yours too.

Thanks for giving of your time all.