PDA

View Full Version : Aspire or VCARVE

crash5050
05-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Does anybody use Aspire or Vcarve to produce the patterns for the CW' Machines. My CW is at LHR right now for repairs, but I have a machine, and aspire, I can still cut if I had some patterns along those lines.

David

mwhatch
05-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Use Aspire to save model as a grayscale image, then import into carvewright designer software. Works great for me.

SteveEJ
05-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I use VCarve Pro for vectors but you will need the DXF importer in Designer to import the DXF's that is generated.

mtylerfl
05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Does anybody use Aspire or Vcarve to produce the patterns for the CW' Machines. My CW is at LHR right now for repairs, but I have a machine, and aspire, I can still cut if I had some patterns along those lines.

David

Hi David,

I use Aspire for the vast majority of model creation for CarveWright patterns, VectorArt3D patterns, and for the projects of the month for both CW and Vectric companies. In the "old days" before CarveWright came out with the STL Importer, I would save my Aspire models as a greyscale and get them into Designer that way. (By the way, the programmers at Vectric enabled that feature at my specific request years ago - kudos to them!!)

However, I no longer save the Aspire models as greyscale bitmaps. It is much better to save them as STL and import them via the CW STL Importer. It is noticeably superior especially on large convex or concave surfaces...a greyscale will tend to have more visible "stepping" on areas like that. The STL method seems to all but eliminate the problem. I usually set the export tolerance in Aspire at 0.0001" to get really smooth, clean STL's.

crash5050
05-23-2012, 04:10 PM
I cant use designer right now, unless someone has figured out how to get them to GCode.

eelamb
05-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Crash5050 even if the CW is in the shop you can still do designs using the designer software, and save them for later carvings. If your other machine uses g-code, what can I say, designer does not have that ability, yet many other CNC vendors wish they had CW's designer software.

Alan Malmstrom
05-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I think since the machine does paths cutting or routing that V-Carve would be used for making paths and importing vectors DXF. And Aspire would be good for making patterns for carving.