PDA

View Full Version : A place to say hello?

ChrisAlb
05-22-2012, 07:07 AM
OK, so where does an old wood carving dog pop in a post to say hello after being MIA for so long?? LOL .... I figured this test area was a safe place to do so.

Sooooo....... HELLO to all my wood carving friends and family!!! I miss you all very much and hope all my old buddies (and new carvers) are having a blast making dust and creating dreams. Some health issues with my mom have pulled me off the road for a while. How long is yet to be determined but I should know more as the week progresses.

It may even end up that I can't go back out. If that's the case, then I intend to convert the barn to a woodshop and try restarting my woodworking business. Should life take that path for me, I'll be in need of all your help as I'm SOOOOOO far out of the CW loop I hardly know where to begin....LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hello to everyone, hope everyone is well and wish you all the best!

Chris

lynnfrwd
05-22-2012, 07:12 AM
The answer dear sir is anywhere you want.

Welcome home and prayers for your mom and her caregivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chebytrk
05-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Hey Chris, Prayers for you and yours. Look forward to your postings like once before. Many ol' timers still here & many new famiy members. It's still a great place to be and learn from each other.

Old Salt
05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Happy to hear from you.
Looking forward to hear from you more , good place to ck in and get some good advice.
Gary

easybuilt
05-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi Chris!
I look forward in sharing ideas and talking to you in the future.

ChrisAlb
05-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Lynn, Jerry and Gary,

SO GOOD to hear from you folks! Thanks for the welcome home and wishes for my mom. :D

I guess the best place to start with my questions is..... what's the latest version of software and will it still work with my old...original CW? LOL

I know I can find and get it at the CW site but I won't have time today. But I'd value your opinions on the latest version. Thanks again everyone and.... it's nice to be home!

TerryT
05-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Hey Chris!! It's been a long time buddy. I hope things get better with your mom but it is great to hear from you again.

ChrisAlb
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Terry my friend! How have you been? It's funny but one of the last runs I did before coming home was a furniture delivery to our terminal in Spokane. I wish while driving I had a bit more "free" time because I've been to every corner of the USA and could meet just about everyone on this forum....LOL

I see you're now a Moderator man. Very Cool!! Guess I'll have to be careful around you now....LOL

Great to hear from you and God bless.

cnsranch
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
HEY!!!

Good to hear from you - was thinking about you the other day - hope all's as well as can be.

If you get to the point of looking at some upgrades, the CarveTite system is the bomb. I finally shelled out the old QC and did the upgrade - it's quieter, more robust, and the end product is even better than we were getting before.

Latest software will give you lots of new options - AskBud always lists out what each update does for you - do a search and you'll get up to speed.

Bigger carving and cutting bits (3/16"), the ability to pierce carvings, the ability to use Centerline in a Carve Region, or to conform it to a carve, etc.

You're gonna meet some pretty sharp folks that have gotten involved since we last saw you - they're a helluva lot smarter than me.

Great to see you're kickin'.

TerryT
05-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Terry my friend! How have you been? It's funny but one of the last runs I did before coming home was a furniture delivery to our terminal in Spokane. I wish while driving I had a bit more "free" time because I've been to every corner of the USA and could meet just about everyone on this forum....LOL

I see you're now a Moderator man. Very Cool!! Guess I'll have to be careful around you now....LOL

Great to hear from you and God bless.

I wish we could have gotten together for a quick cup of coffee! Maybe next time. As far as moderator goes, just trying to catch spammers but I spend more time tangled up in my super cape than anything else! LOL

Have you had a chance to get that Harley out on the road?

atauer
05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Lynn, Jerry and Gary,

SO GOOD to hear from you folks! Thanks for the welcome home and wishes for my mom. :D

I guess the best place to start with my questions is..... what's the latest version of software and will it still work with my old...original CW? LOL

I know I can find and get it at the CW site but I won't have time today. But I'd value your opinions on the latest version. Thanks again everyone and.... it's nice to be home!

Hey Chris!

Latest software version is 1.182, which was released earlier this year, and yes it will work with your original CW.

Some of the others have already given a little info on some of the new things we have, like the new 3/16th carving and cutting bits, but we have so much more than just that to offer.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but we also have STL and DXF Import packages, a package called Conforming Vectors which enables you to conform vector paths like Centerline to patterns, carve regions, and other surfaces, and numerous other upgrades to the machine: CT Spindle, Heavy Duty traction belts, etc.

Welcome home buddy!

BTW, our mirror project is still incomplete. I have had sooooo much stuff come up that it got pushed to the side. Hoping to get it done soon though, and post the work of what one of the original CW machine's accomplished.

dbfletcher
05-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Chris,

I'm not sure I have ever corresponded with you directly, But I certainly have read many (all?) of your posts over the years. I know I would love to see you back on a more regular basis... although under better circumstances would be preferred.

Digitalwoodshop
05-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Darn.... Answered your email and finally get here and TWO Pages of WELCOME BACK Messages in 2 HOURS....... To Say you were missed is a understatement.... WELCOME BACK BUDDY !!!!

I am a Phone Call or email away if you have any machine problems...

Good to see you back !!!!

I drove by the Pine Forest Camp the other day and Activity was apparent with the little darlings getting out of School soon.... Your SIGNS look GREAT !!!! I will let you know if I hear from them.

Check out the 250 Hour Maintenance thread in Troubleshooting. You may need to go over the machine looking for frozen Rail Bearings and I bet you are due for new Y Gear Box Bearings.

Take Care,

AL

ChrisAlb
05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
HEY!!!

Good to hear from you - was thinking about you the other day - hope all's as well as can be.

If you get to the point of looking at some upgrades, the CarveTite system is the bomb. I finally shelled out the old QC and did the upgrade - it's quieter, more robust, and the end product is even better than we were getting before.

Latest software will give you lots of new options - AskBud always lists out what each update does for you - do a search and you'll get up to speed.

Bigger carving and cutting bits (3/16"), the ability to pierce carvings, the ability to use Centerline in a Carve Region, or to conform it to a carve, etc.

You're gonna meet some pretty sharp folks that have gotten involved since we last saw you - they're a helluva lot smarter than me.

Great to see you're kickin'.

Jerry!!! My brother from another mother :) Good to see you're kicking also buddy. Thanks for the great info man. If it turns out I'll be home long enough, (seems it might), I'll get up to speed with your advice. Thank you sir!

I wish we could have gotten together for a quick cup of coffee! Maybe next time. As far as moderator goes, just trying to catch spammers but I spend more time tangled up in my super cape than anything else! LOL

Have you had a chance to get that Harley out on the road?

Me as well but yes, when I get back out there I'll call ahead. I actually forget buddy, did we ever exchange phone numbers? I'll check my phone.

I'll bet you wear it well but try a little starch in that cape. It won't tangle so easily...LOL. I have had the Harley out but mainly just for running errands like picking up perscriptions for mom and such. I'm hoping to buy the truck I've been driving since the start. I've been grooming it to buy as I've had a LOT of things fixed on it and it's a good rig. My hope is if I can become an owner operator I can keep driving for a living but have a far more flexible schedule so I can be here for mom on a regular basis.

If that doesn't happen, well then I guess I'll just have to take that Harley back out to Spokane for coffee. After all, I know the way now...LOL

Hey Chris!

Latest software version is 1.182, which was released earlier this year, and yes it will work with your original CW.

Some of the others have already given a little info on some of the new things we have, like the new 3/16th carving and cutting bits, but we have so much more than just that to offer.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but we also have STL and DXF Import packages, a package called Conforming Vectors which enables you to conform vector paths like Centerline to patterns, carve regions, and other surfaces, and numerous other upgrades to the machine: CT Spindle, Heavy Duty traction belts, etc.

Welcome home buddy!

BTW, our mirror project is still incomplete. I have had sooooo much stuff come up that it got pushed to the side. Hoping to get it done soon though, and post the work of what one of the original CW machine's accomplished.

Alex my man! Thanks for the info and no, I wasn't aware of most it. Sounds like I'm gonna have a BLAST learning new things and getting up to speed.

LOL...I was going to ask about that mirror. GEEEZZZZZ buddy, If I wind up having to stay home, just ship that puppy to me and I'll be happy to finish it to your specs for ya. It's about time you and yours start seeing yourselves in it....LOL

fwharris
05-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Well look who finally stuck his nose back into the saw dust world! :) Great to see you sir!

It looks like others have given you the scoop on the software changes, no more work arounds :roll:!
Hoping all goes well with Mom.

HEY MODERATORS!, MOVE THIS OUT OF THE TEST AREA PLEASE!

lynnfrwd
05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Tried to move it early this morning, but evidently not able to do on Tapatalk.

LittleRedWoodshop
05-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Hello Chris ... great to hear from you. If you need anything feel free to call. Would love to have you up and running again.

ChrisAlb
05-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Chris,

I'm not sure I have ever corresponded with you directly, But I certainly have read many (all?) of your posts over the years. I know I would love to see you back on a more regular basis... although under better circumstances would be preferred.

Hey Doug, Yes as a matter af fact we have emailed each other in the past. Sharing help and working out a few details on some image files if I recall correctly. I'm about to take mom for an MRI and follow up visit. I'm keeping the faith those "circumstances" will indeed get better.

ChrisAlb
05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Darn.... Answered your email and finally get here and TWO Pages of WELCOME BACK Messages in 2 HOURS....... To Say you were missed is a understatement.... WELCOME BACK BUDDY !!!!

I am a Phone Call or email away if you have any machine problems...

Good to see you back !!!!

I drove by the Pine Forest Camp the other day and Activity was apparent with the little darlings getting out of School soon.... Your SIGNS look GREAT !!!! I will let you know if I hear from them.

Check out the 250 Hour Maintenance thread in Troubleshooting. You may need to go over the machine looking for frozen Rail Bearings and I bet you are due for new Y Gear Box Bearings.

Take Care,

AL

Al, what can I say to the man who helped me get started in all this, shared knowledge, did projects together and became great friends? It's all your fault!! LOL

It's been far too long since we've seen or talked to each other but every time I listen to satalite radio (which is only everyday all day) I think of you buddy!! I will ride up and see you soon my friend!

Well look who finally stuck his nose back into the saw dust world! :) Great to see you sir!

It looks like others have given you the scoop on the software changes, no more work arounds :roll:!
Hoping all goes well with Mom.

HEY MODERATORS!, MOVE THIS OUT OF THE TEST AREA PLEASE!

LOL.... You know me Floyd, Like a bad dream I ALWAYS pop up again! LOL

Great to see you as well and I hope all is great in your world buddy. It's ok to leave this here man. I choose the test section so I didn't clutter up any more....ummmm... "Important" areas. So to Lynn, no big deal hun. Leaving it here is fine ;)

Hello Chris ... great to hear from you. If you need anything feel free to call. Would love to have you up and running again.

Thanks so much sir and good to see you as well Jason. Seems you have a few more links in your sig I'll need to follow and check out. Good to see you still going strong.

Well folks, I need to run now but I'll be back on this evening. Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome back. Sure feels GREAT!!!

Deolman
05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Good to hear from you Chris. You need to get a smartphone and pop in once in a while. Wishing you and your family the best.

Digitalwoodshop
05-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I was in Honesdale last week and stopped into the local Newspaper to get some blank newsprint end rolls for printing Fire Tags. I saw Guy Mathew as he now works at the Paper. The Dust got to him at the place we visited about 2 years ago and saw his 10 spindle CNC and 2 other big CNC's. http://www.newwavewoodworking.com/page9.php

It has taken 3 guys to replace HIM.... With the 3D Scanning and Design, Artwork, and Production..... He was missed...

First thing and he asked about YOU.... ChrisAlb.... He remembers how excited we all were looking at the Big Boys Toys... He is in the planning stage to build a 10 or 12 station CNC that will use Dental Drills for cutting.... He had just gotten the Roller Bearing Rails from a Decommissioned Newspaper Camera that would work for his CNC... He was excited... He does drop in on the CW Forum and was impressed with the Roller Jig.

When you head my way on your Harley, let me know and we can do Lunch. Yes, my shop is still a mess.... LOL...

AL

eelamb
05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Hello Chris, been a long time. Glad to see you back here. Hope your Mom gets better, and that you can be around here more again.

SharonB
05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Chris.... it's like having a long lost brother appear on the horizon.... you certainly helped me when I first started. Sure would be nice if you could stick around. I know it won't be long before your up to speed on all the new improvements. I've added you and your mother to my prayer list and hope that all news is good news.

Kenm810
05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi Chris,

Missed your Posts, both Info and Humor, I'm sure you'll be up to speed soon.
You and your mom will be in our thoughts and prayers, --- Great seeing you back.

b.sumner47
05-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Chris, So nice to see you back, I look forward to hearing some of your wisdom. Welcome Home !

Capt Barry

jpaluck
05-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Was wondering what happened to you...will say a prayer for your mom..unfortunatly I know how that goes first hand. Good to see you post.

ChrisAlb
05-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks so much everyone. It feels really great to hear from all of you again.

Al, that's so cool you got to see Guy. A great guy with fantastic vision and the talent to make it happen. That place got off easy if it only took 3 guys to replace him. I'd have figured 5! Yep...I'll call ahead and lunch sounds great. If your shop wasn't a mess, I'd figure you were being lazy at work...LOL

Sharon, been a long time darlin and I'm so glad to see you still carving away. I enjoyed the little bit I was able to help. We had fun exchanging thoughts and ideas. I've downloaded and installed the newest designer and hopefully I'll be able to start working with it and learning soon.

Ken you old carving dog...LOL I've missed your input as well. It was always fun and informative kicking around ideas and solutions with you. There aren't many who have given and shared as much as you have here.

Capt sir! How are you? I hope you're feeling well and making lots of dust. I think I still have some of the artwork we were working on together on my desktop system. I'll have to take a look.

To all of you, Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers for my mom. Things are pretty difficult for her right now and I got news from the doctor visit yesterday that I may have to be here at least 6 to 8 weeks. I can take up to 12 weeks unpaid leave for family medical issues but I'll almost certainly lose the truck I've been driving from day 1. we'll have to see what happens but I think one thing is clear. My near future is about to go through some major changes again....lol

I know God has a plan but sometimes I wish he'd give me a clue what they are! :roll:

TerryT
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
My near future is about to go through some major changes again....lol

I know God has a plan but sometimes I wish he'd give me a clue what they are! :roll:

What ever they are, my friend, there are a good many people here that you have helped over the years that will do whatever the can to help smooth the way for you.