PDA

View Full Version : Help With Cleaning up Edges

Rolltide4469
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
I have cut this pattern and for some reason I cannot get the rectangle recesses to cut without cutting them separately from the main shape. Second problem is getting the round part round. I have tried editing it with the pattern editor but just can't seem to get it symmetrical. Last problem, I'm trying to get the cut path to follow the pattern exactly but as it is now, it cuts about 1/8" away from it and leaves a lip.

If anyone can help with it I would be very grateful. 53340

bjbethke
05-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I have cut this pattern and for some reason I cannot get the rectangle recesses to cut without cutting them separately from the main shape. Second problem is getting the round part round. I have tried editing it with the pattern editor but just can't seem to get it symmetrical. Last problem, I'm trying to get the cut path to follow the pattern exactly but as it is now, it cuts about 1/8" away from it and leaves a lip.

If anyone can help with it I would be very grateful. 53340

Is this what you are looking for? You need to outline the rectangles. You also need to adjust the off set.

Rolltide4469
05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Is this what you are looking for? You need to outline the rectangles. You also need to adjust the off set.

Close......I just want the rectangles to cut .5 inches not all the way though....and I still need to work on the overall shape of it...

bjbethke
05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Close......I just want the rectangles to cut .5 inches not all the way though....and I still need to work on the overall shape of it...

You need to invert the carve region and merge subtractive - set depth to .500

Rolltide4469
05-21-2012, 09:15 PM
That was a simple fix....thank you for pointing it out. Any suggestions on how to smooth out the edges of the cut out? I am messing with it in photoshop but not having any luck. Here is the image file if that will help...

ladjr
05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Are you using the circle in photo shop to draw the circle

Leo

ladjr
05-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Will this work. I did it quickly.

Leo

ladjr
05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Here is a updated MPC

Leo

Rolltide4469
05-21-2012, 09:58 PM
I am new to photoshop so still trying to figure it out. My initial plan was to draw a circle and then cut and past the top half onto it. But not working out for me.
Are you using the circle in photo shop to draw the circle

Leo

bjbethke
05-21-2012, 10:07 PM
That was a simple fix....thank you for pointing it out. Any suggestions on how to smooth out the edges of the cut out? I am messing with it in photoshop but not having any luck. Here is the image file if that will help...

I have a Vector Magic program I cleaned the image some.

Rolltide4469
05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
That looks much better! I will try and cut it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you all for the help!

bjbethke
05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
This one was made with a ShaderMap Pro PTN.

Rolltide4469
05-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I had to make a couple minor changes but that worked perfectly! Thank you so much for the help. I'll post a pic once I'm done painting it. I like the way it rounds the top instead of just a flat cut like I had.

This one was made with a ShaderMap Pro PTN.

cestout
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I have a neat way to clean up the edges that I posted a few days ago, but many here are sceptical. I am working on a job carving 96 intricate pieces and the cutout never is exact. I mounted an old 1/8" cutting bit in my router table and placed a sheet of melamine coated hard board with a 1/8'+ hole in it on top of the table. You have to hold tight and work slowly, watch the grain direction - it takes practice - but it is working great for me. If the pattern is not intricate, use AskBud's suggestion an use a guide pin.
Clint

bjbethke
05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
I have a neat way to clean up the edges that I posted a few days ago, but many here are sceptical. I am working on a job carving 96 intricate pieces and the cutout never is exact. I mounted an old 1/8" cutting bit in my router table and placed a sheet of melamine coated hard board with a 1/8'+ hole in it on top of the table. You have to hold tight and work slowly, watch the grain direction - it takes practice - but it is working great for me. If the pattern is not intricate, use AskBud's suggestion an use a guide pin.
Clint

I use a Mini router table to do that it feels a little safer then my large routers.

b.sumner47
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
BJB , Thanks for passing along the mini-router plans. I'm going to build one, Thanks Again !

Capt Barry

bjbethke
05-23-2012, 12:41 AM
BJB , Thanks for passing along the mini-router plans. I'm going to build one, Thanks Again !

Capt Barry

Your welcome, I use Dura-grit Tungsten Carbide burrs, they cut fast and last a long time, cost a lot though. http://www.duragrit.com/