PDA

View Full Version : stop botton

Cabinetdesigner
05-20-2012, 03:08 PM
ok here's the deal, I have a version c machine with 6 hrs 26 cut time on it. I was going to stop the machine to look at something on the machine the program was at 43 percent I hit the stop button the machine stopped 2 second latter the machine started back up I then hit the stop button again same thing this went on until finally I just held the stop button in until it ended the program. Is this something to be concerned about. I guess I could have just opened the lid and stopped it that way. but my thought was if it was overriding the stop function at the keyboard what stops it from overriding the safety switches while my hand are in the machine. this is the first time I have used the stop function on this machine but I had done it many times with my version b machine. Any thoughts?

bergerud
05-20-2012, 08:17 PM
That has happened to me a few times also. It is a bit unnerving. When it starts happening, it seems to keep doing it until a reboot. If you open the cover, however, it will stay stopped. There is no way the program can bypass the right cover switch. When the cover is open, the motor circuit is physically broken. I do not think there can be any danger when the cover is open unless the switch itself fails.

ladjr
05-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I have always open the cover to stop the machine. Never has a problem.

Leo

AskBud
05-20-2012, 09:46 PM
ok here's the deal, I have a version c machine with 6 hrs 26 cut time on it. I was going to stop the machine to look at something on the machine the program was at 43 percent I hit the stop button the machine stopped 2 second latter the machine started back up I then hit the stop button again same thing this went on until finally I just held the stop button in until it ended the program. Is this something to be concerned about. I guess I could have just opened the lid and stopped it that way. but my thought was if it was overriding the stop function at the keyboard what stops it from overriding the safety switches while my hand are in the machine. this is the first time I have used the stop function on this machine but I had done it many times with my version b machine. Any thoughts?What were you doing at the time, scanning or carving? If carving, what was the machine processing, a raster carve, or a vector process?
AskBud

Cabinetdesigner
05-20-2012, 09:55 PM
I was carving a raster

AskBud
05-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I would say that you should contact LHR Monday.
AskBud

Cabinetdesigner
05-20-2012, 10:03 PM
thanks bud I tkink i will call them and get their input.
I would say that you should contact LHR Monday.
AskBud

chief2007
05-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Heat is the problem, I have had this happen on both an A version and C version machine.

Traced it back to shop and machine temperature.

I improved the ventilation for the bottom of the machines and added an Air conditioner to the shop (was for my benefit too, lol)

Now no more problems.

bergerud
05-20-2012, 10:30 PM
It would be interesting to know how many people have experienced this auto restart problem. This behavior feels to me like a logic problem. For whatever reason, a register which should be low has become high. It is as if the enter button was pressed. If I remember correctly, the computer, when in this state also misses the please close cover prompt. One just has to reboot.

LittleRedWoodshop
05-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Over the years I have had this happen about a half dozen times.

Rustir
05-30-2012, 02:34 PM
I have made several scans lately and no problems. Today I started a scan and after a couple of lines before it even reached the object I decided I didn't to lift the cover to recheck its location so I lifted the cover and it would not stop. I then pushed the stop button and still it would not stop. It went a few more lines and then when it finally touched the object it stopped and asked me if I wanted to stop yes or no. I said no aborted and pulled the sled out. I deleted the
unfinished scan off the card and checked the firmware on the card again saying I wanted most recent and also made sure I was using up to date program. This is as far as I am going today. Will start from scratch again tomorrow when I have more time. Until then any thoughts anyone.

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I would reformat your card and reload the latest Designer... This is unusual..... I would also ground your machine.... A ground wire to your grounded dust collector or a wire to the Electrical Outlet Ground.... I use a wire with 3 big gator clips on each end. On the machine side to the Infeed Tray, dust collector hood, and Machine Frame. The other end, 3 places on my dust collector.

My thought is that for some reason your machine is building up a static charge and it is causing the Computer to have a problem reading the Keypad Interrupt signals... I know that in theory no static should build up with the scanning of a object...

Card reformat first then ground..... This shouldn't happen....

AL

AskBud
05-30-2012, 04:02 PM
I have made several scans lately and no problems. Today I started a scan and after a couple of lines before it even reached the object I decided I didn't to lift the cover to recheck its location so I lifted the cover and it would not stop. I then pushed the stop button and still it would not stop. It went a few more lines and then when it finally touched the object it stopped and asked me if I wanted to stop yes or no. I said no aborted and pulled the sled out. I deleted the
unfinished scan off the card and checked the firmware on the card again saying I wanted most recent and also made sure I was using up to date program. This is as far as I am going today. Will start from scratch again tomorrow when I have more time. Until then any thoughts anyone.I find that this seeming "slow response" to the "Stop" on the scan application is normal. I attribute this to the internal computer, in the unit, wanting to complete the current data cycle prior to ending the the process. We are so used to having the instant "Stop" on the carving side, that we forget that the scan process is gathering and passing data in batches as it does the work.
AskBud

RMarkey
05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Rustir,
There is nothing wrong with your card/firmware. It is working as designed. The stop mechanism doesn't check (the button or cover) until the probe actually comes in contact with the piece. Had you opened the cover and touched the probe, it would have stopped immediately.

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Great to know !!!! Have never used my Probe...

Thanks,

AL

Rustir
05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I checked the card and version and everything was up to date I successfully did a ten hour scan of a pretty complicated picture frame. I let it go for the full ten with a fan on it so it wouldn't over heat as it was 78 here
today in the garage with the door open. I didn't dare stop it but I originally thought I could just lift the cover a few times and give it a rest so now I don't know what I will do next time. I will also try the grounding to be on the safe side. Looking forward though for one of you guys to invent a scanner laser perhaps that will do a faster job. I have a Craftsman which I bought off Ebay and have had no problems in several years. I installed the Carvetight but still have
the sandpaper belts so how do I refer to this machine. Is it a version c or a or b or what ?

fwharris
05-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Your machine is still what the ID # designates A,B, or C with your upgrades.

I've done several 12 hour scans with no issues. I believe you can press the stop button once to pause the scan if needed. Good idea with the fan to keep the Y motor cool.

AskBud
05-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I checked the card and version and everything was up to date I successfully did a ten hour scan of a pretty complicated picture frame. I let it go for the full ten with a fan on it so it wouldn't over heat as it was 78 here
today in the garage with the door open. I didn't dare stop it but I originally thought I could just lift the cover a few times and give it a rest so now I don't know what I will do next time. I will also try the grounding to be on the safe side. Looking forward though for one of you guys to invent a scanner laser perhaps that will do a faster job. I have a Craftsman which I bought off Ebay and have had no problems in several years. I installed the CarveTight but still have
the sandpaper belts so how do I refer to this machine. Is it a version c or a or b or what ?The version of the machine is noted in the first letter of the serial number (A, B, or C) therefore that stays the same. However the "C" machines were the first to come equipped with the CarveTight (CT) chuck. The "A" & "B" units came with the Quick Change (QC) chuck. Both could have been modified by placing an alternate chuck,such as a Rock , CT, or other model. Knowing this, the chuck is key. On the "A", or "B" machines I would suggest something like the following. "I have an A-CT", "I have a B-Rock", or "I have an "A-QC". This type of statement will tell the reader more about your unit. The type of belts is less important, as that is a true user choice.
AskBud

AskBud
05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Your machine is still what the ID # designates A,B, or C with your upgrades.

I've done several 12 hour scans with no issues. I believe you can press the stop button once to pause the scan if needed. Good idea with the fan to keep the Y motor cool.I also have done long scans with no heat concerns even in our recent heat wave. Some of my scans have exceeded 18 hours without stopping.
AskBud

ladjr
05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
How large of a item can be scaned. I have something 10" wide and 18" long. I have always been afraid to scan it.

Leo

fwharris
05-31-2012, 06:49 PM
How large of a item can be scaned. I have something 10" wide and 18" long. I have always been afraid to scan it.

Leo

Start out with an empty flash card to insure you have enough memory space. During the scan set up with setting the start and end points the machine will tell you the scan time for the different scan quality choices. Your 10" x 18" item should be no problem...

ladjr
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks Floyd Guess what my week end project is.

Leo

AskBud
05-31-2012, 07:16 PM
How large of a item can be scanned. I have something 10" wide and 18" long. I have always been afraid to scan it.

LeoI recently scanned one about 11 by 26, on Best, and it only took about half the card storage.
AskBud

RMarkey
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Once you set up the scan, it checks the available space on the flash card to make sure the scan will fit.