PDA

View Full Version : Video monitoring for the cw!

chkorte
05-16-2012, 05:28 PM
A while back I bought a wireless 2.4 ghz video camera and a 2.4 ghz receiver / DVR that plugs into my computer so that I could watch my CW as it carved. My intention was to mount it above the CW so that I could monitor the carving progress and keep an eye out for any problems that might develop. The problem was that if I mounted the camera close enough to see the carving progress that there was so much interference with the video signal that all I got was jumpy lines on the screen. I have to have the camera 10 feet or so away from the CW to get a picture you can recognize. Now I’ve seen videos of people carving with the CW and the view is up close and clear. What do I need to do to clear up my picture? My receiver and camera are both 4 channel and rated up to 300 feet. I am about 50 feet away with 1 wall between the receiver and the camera. Is there a specific model camera anyone can recommend that may not be affected by the CW? Is there a certain setup someone uses and could recommend? Thanks for reading and for any help! HAPPY CARVING

brdad
05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
My guess is the interference coming from the CW interferes with your wireless signal and that most of the videos you see posted are done with a digital camera or video camera (or phone). You could verify this by trying the camera close to the CW when if is not powered on.

Short of finding a way to shield or filter the interference created by the CW, I doubt there is much you can do with the camera you have. If you went to a wired camera, you would probably fix the problem, or most of it.

Digitalwoodshop
05-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Wired Camera is the answer.... I have seen the RF 4 channel transmitters that have a RCA Jack Video Input. That would be a possible answer. The Lipstick Cameras I have seen would be the ticket. That is my plan...

As for the interferance.... I am betting it is only when the cut motor is on. That would be the arcing of the brushes.... A equivalent to a wide band transmitter.... Hence the lines.... 186 posts? How Many Cut Hours? When did you change the Brushes last... The Shorter they are the more they ARC.... Less Pressure. Change the Brushes....

AL

TerryT
05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
The CarveWright produces a lot of noise in a couple of different ways. My digital calipers go nuts withing about 2 feet of the carvewright.

ladjr
05-16-2012, 08:33 PM
I wanted to ask. Were you on the same electrical circuit. If so that maybe the problem.
I have a system on the outside of my house and it has its own circuit.

Leo

chkorte
05-16-2012, 09:20 PM
I kind of agree that the problem is the electrical interference when the CW is running. I have about 600 hours on my CW but I changed the brushes bout 100 hours ago. I never thought about those other videos being shot with a digital video camera, makes sense. My camera I use is running on an internal battery. Maybe I’ll try to find a way to shield the antenna somehow. Doubt if it will work but can’t lose anything by trying.

smv1978
05-16-2012, 09:25 PM
I used to work at RadioShack and have messed with RF camers alot .. 1 of the problems I beleve you ave having is with the metal in the CarveWright as well as the RF the CarveWright puts off. A RF camera that is rated at 300 feet is rated in best conditions meaning line of site and no interferance, each wall can take off 50 feet or more depending on the wall...

I would recomend using a wired camera at least from the CarveWright to a RF transmiter ...

If you have a dust collector hooked up the CarveWright make sure you have a camera on that as well, the dust collector is what cought fire in my shop..
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20660-Do-not-leve-your-CarveWright-unattended

chevytrucking
05-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I bought a "wired" color camera at Harbor Freight a while back and it was on sale for only about $25. I bought it to watch my trash cans hoping to catch what ever critter was raiding me every night. It works pretty good and it's cheap, it has RCA jacks on though, might not connect to a computer all that easy.

cestout
05-19-2012, 05:08 PM
I was watching a week of so old "Mentalist" tha other night and he was using a vidio baby monitor. I thaought, I need on of those - I had just read about the fire.
Clint