PDA

View Full Version : 24 volts to be or not to be....

badbert
05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
I am the third owner of an unused compucarve. I was told that they never used it because they couldn't figure it out. In fact it was broken and they couldn't use it. And i got suckered into buying it. At first I had "close cover error" but user tests quickly revealed that all sensors were dead. With the help of Al and others we were able to determine the 14 pin ribbon was not inserted correctly. Fixing this brought all sensors to life. But there was still a problem. The machine would not do anything. it just gave a stall error whenever it was supposed to move. After pinning it out, I discovered there was no 24 volts coming from the power supply. This sparked a little debate, some say that 24 volts should be all the time, whenever the switch is on. Others said that when the controller calls for servos, it might send a multiplexed signal to the power supply to turn on the 24 volts. I received my refurbished power supply today and installed it. Still no 24 volts. But after reassembling and testing... it is happily carving a mouse for my grandson!! So now the debate can continue!! When ever you have the bottom cover off for maintenance please measure the voltage on V2 (the yellow wire) and let's figure out if it should be live whenever the switch is on... or only when the controller calls for the servos.

cnsranch
05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
How did you get the mouse to hold still?

Welcome! Have a blast.

Digitalwoodshop
05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I bet if you Scan one... It will Giggle like being Tickled.... LOL....

The Firmware Lord came on and posted it is present when ever the power supply is on and switched inside the computer.

GOOD JOB !!!! Another Success Story...

AL

badbert
05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I bet if you Scan one... It will Giggle like being Tickled.... LOL....

The Firmware Lord came on and posted it is present when ever the power supply is on and switched inside the computer.

GOOD JOB !!!! Another Success Story...

AL And that is why I made this post Al... The new power supply did not have 24 volts output on V2... but the machine does work... Very strange... I believe we have gremlins at work!! LOL And the mouse came out beautiful! Unfortunately i do not want to violate copyrights by posting it here. I don't know about giggle but there sure were some loud noises coming from this monster!

bergerud
05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I took the bottom off of my machine to measure the V2 voltage for you. It was 24V whenever the power switch was on. (That is 24V between the yellow wire and the black wire beside it.) Now that your machine works, I'll bet you also measure the 24V whenever the switch is on. Some other connection could have been the problem.

Digitalwoodshop
05-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks Buddy !!!! Good to know for sure.

AL