PDA

View Full Version : Do not leve your CarveWright unattended

smv1978
05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I was doing a simple project and walked away for less than an hour and this is what happended ... It looks like something in the dust collector is what actulay caught from heated wood shavings from the CarveWright.

I am not blaming the CarveWright ... I knew better than to walk away from it ... I just want other people to see what can happen if you do so this does not happen to them.

P.S.
On a lighter note .. the project in the CarveWright was done and will be used .. I was carving something for my nephiew and he is still going to be able to use the carving.. even though it is blackened.

unknowncarver
05-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I am sorry for all your damage, I hope insurance will kick in, I would be devastated to lose my shop and tools like that.

henry1
05-13-2012, 11:45 AM
WOW/// that some burn up,, That is to bad it happen :eek:

smv1978
05-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Sadly I was still trying to get insurance set up .. so I will have to replace it all on my own.

lynnfrwd
05-13-2012, 11:55 AM
How scary!! Thank goodness it wasn't your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
05-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Man... I am so sorry that this has happened and so glad that everyone is (evidently) OK. That is just gut wrenching...

Lawrence

smv1978
05-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Everyone is OK .. the shop is only about 5 feet from the house .. so this could have been much worse.

TerryT
05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, if the project was finished it probably wasn't the carvewright that started it. Sounds like we all need to clean and check the DC systems regularly also. Can you tell from the damage if it was the DC that started first?

badbert
05-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Flashbacks.... Jan 29 2011 7:30am... I will never forget that day! Lost everything we owned. Barely escaping with our lives. 8 months after my father died and we lost every thing of his. On a better note. The fire gave us a fresh start. The insurance paid off. We now own a beautiful home free and clear. I hope you get to rebuild it. And I hope it is better than before. Thank God every time you see this pic. Another 5 feet, an unexpected gust of wind, and this could have been a different story...

Digitalwoodshop
05-13-2012, 02:06 PM
WOW.... Sorry to hear and see your loss..... I am sitting in my Laser Shop typing this as my CW next door in the Wood Shop cranks out Fire Tag Blanks. I have a wireless intercom that I am listening to the machine on and I do have a battery Smoke Detector above the machine. I am only 20 feet away.... In the future I will have a wired smoke detector in the shop that will shut off the CW and Dust Collector via the Relay Contacts output of the Smoke Detector. And cameras too....

I too tried to get Insurance... "So you Cut wood and Acrylic Plastic with a Laser in one shop and in the other you have a CNC machine to Cut Wood along with a full Wood Shop..." "And you want to Insure this....?" "The only thing worse could be to heat it with a WOOD Burning STOVE.... " "O' you heat it with a Direct Vent LP Gas Heater...., that was a smart move...".... Then he laughed.... NO WAY....

AL

smv1978
05-13-2012, 11:11 PM
As far as I can tell it was the dust collector .. the fire department stoped searching for a cause when they could tell it was not arson .. so being the only items where the fire started were the carvewirght and the dust collector .. and the carvewright did not burn till it was on its back then my guess is that it was the dust collector

ktjwilliams
05-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Wow !!! Excuse my language, but that's ****ed up !!! Thank goodness that everyone is OK... Machines and tools can be fixed and replaced, people and pets on the other hand cannot !! Looks like U'll be able to fix most of the machines... Maybe just a motor here or there..

Digitalwoodshop
05-14-2012, 11:43 AM
THIS Thread should be made into a STICKY..... IT needs to get the ATTENTION of every NEW USER.....

About a month ago I hear on the Scanner about 9 AM my buddy the Assistant Chief of our Fire Dept calling in a House Fire, Fire showing on Side B and a address about 10 miles away.... Turned out to be HIS house.... Got up, turned on his office computers, hopped in the Shower and heard the smoke alarm... Looked and his OFFICE was on FIRE...... They don't know why.... BUT.... Being in Electronics I suspect a LAPTOP BATTERY Fire.... I started taking my battery out of this laptop and using just AC to run it... But it caused all kinds of problems like turning off my WiFi and other Boot Problems like DATE and Time... So I went back to the Battery.....

I need to get a Desktop.... I now shut down and turn off the AC to the Laptop when I leave the Shop for lunch and other trips.... Just don't trust it.... The house was fully involved when the first Fire Truck got on scene.

Do you feel Lucky...?

AL

cestout
05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Make me seriously consider a closed circuit TV. My shop is 2/3 of my attached garage. I tried a smoke detector, but the dust sets it off.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
05-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I have a Smoke Detector above the machine and it did go off once with the kinked Flex Cable burning up the Flex Shaft as I worked right outside my wood shop on the deck... Dust setting off the detector then that tells me you don't have a dust collector yet... You are breathing the dust... not good... Ringneck Blues METAL collector... That is my recommendation. And for a Shop attached to the house, get the VERY BEST dust collector FILTER you can afford.... The Bags are great but let the most dangerous micron dust blow right through... The Penn State Industries Paper Pelted Filters like I finally got make such a difference.... The Dust is getting throughout your house and is not good for the Family... The Supper fine dust gets into the deep lung areas and festers....

My plan is for a CCTV Camera to go along with my wireless intercom and a KILL Switch in the Laser Shop that uses a relay to Open the Cover Switch circuit.... I remember when the machine spit out a V60 Bit in a QC in 2007... I heard it spit and stick into the wood... The Spinning QC came down on the bit and bit holder stuck in the wood... I heard it in VIVID COLOR sitting in the Shop.... The RUN to the machine took FOREVER as it was GRINDING AND SPARKING to DEATH.... SO a Simple Kill Switch would have done the trick...

I have a "I Socket" used for Routers, you can plug your CW into it.... When the Cut Motor Comes on, it turns on a outlet that turns on your dust collector or vacuum as in a hand held router.... I will use a wall wort transformer in the Vacuum outlet to run a 12 volt DC Relay to start and stop my 220 Volt AC Dust Collector. When the Cut Motor Stops, the Dust Collector will stop.

SO I plan to wire a Relay type Smoke Detector above my machine and wire the relay into the left cover switch using a RCA Jack in the Cover. A wire will plug into the RCA Jack to the Smoke Detector Relay. When the Smoke Detector goes off, the Cover Switch Circuit Opens and the Dust Collector stops... A Good Combination... I may need another relay as the Smoke Detector contact will activate another relay to the RCA Jack... I will post pictures when I do it...

I have tested the "I Socket" and the machine homing does not activate the dust collector, only the current draw of the cut motor starting and running.

Good Luck,

AL

smv1978
05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Some updated pics

smv1978
05-14-2012, 08:08 PM
This is what my CarveWright looked like befor my shop went up .. Anybody that would like to use my dust hood design is free too.

Here is a video of it http://youtu.be/NZWuezfFTNc

Digitalwoodshop
05-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Poor time for a Question... but, was the CW machine grounded to the dust collector? With a all plastic collector I wonder about Static Electricity since I have seen the results with my machine machine when the ground wire came off and I saw lightning bolt snaps from the collector to the CW Bit.

NICE SHOP..... before... I am sorry for your loss...

AL

smv1978
05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Clean Slate ..

I have been asked by people if they can help in any way .. and at the moment I do not know how .. I do not have the money to rebuild yet so the only think I can think of is if you live close to me and have a truck maby you can help with the hall away of the trash.

The power tools are a complete loss so I am going to see about taking the to recycle for some cash...

Tomrrow I will be sorting through the piles to sort out all the metal from the trash .. alos see if i can find any more hand tools that can still be used.

lynnfrwd
05-14-2012, 09:44 PM
As I was looking at the new photos tonight, I thought to myself, man, I can almost smell it. Then the firetrucks went by. Not sure where or what, but definitely up wind from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unknowncarver
05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I know you are not asking for donations but I would like to make one. Do you have a paypal account that I and maybe some others can send a donation to?

smv1978
05-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank you verry much for the offer .. I will try to set up a paypal account for anybody that would like to help.

My new PayPal email is shadvalentine@gmail.com I hope nobody used the email I posted befor .. i put paypal.com instead of gmail.com (tired from a long day of cleaning)

looking in PayPal and found the instructins on making the donations link below
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=shadvalentine%40gmail.com&lc=US&item_name=Shop Fund&currency_code=USD&bn=PP-DonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG.gif%3aNonHosted

smv1978
05-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Both the dust collector and the CarveWright were grounded as well as the hose had a wire coiled wire through it that was also attached to the CarveWright

Poor time for a Question... but, was the CW machine grounded to the dust collector? With a all plastic collector I wonder about Static Electricity since I have seen the results with my machine machine when the ground wire came off and I saw lightning bolt snaps from the collector to the CW Bit.

NICE SHOP..... before... I am sorry for your loss...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Thank YOU for answering the pointed question at a poor time... GREAT, you did it right as I would have done it...

Last year my 2HP Dust Collector just Hummed when I flipped it on.... The Start Capacitor was shot..... Then my Sears Radial Arm Saw... The Start Cap went in that too.... Then a month ago a 1 HP Delta Dust Collector I currently use on my machine just hummed when I flipped it on.... All 3 could have resulted in a FIRE.... So your lesson is my nightmare.... FIRE.... I once found a Fire on my Navy Ship while on a roving Security Watch with a .45... So Fires scare me... And I don't have insurance either... I have backup USB Drives I keep away from the shop with all my Files....

I posted a few months ago I was using a Hand Held router and a guide to put a 2 inch deep slot in a 4 x 4 for a Sign. I hit a Knot and the bit got dull and flipped out some burning embers that fell on my Wood Deck covered in dry pine needles.... You should have seen me move... A Jar Lid with Rain Water sitting on the outside table made short work out of the embers but it could have been much different... I have a bunch of Fire Extinguishers.... I wondered if I had my dust collector hooked to the Hand Held Router and the Embres got inside the Dust Bag....... Not Good...

I have two 15 pound CO2 Extinguishers in the Laser Shop... Here is a Laser Fire Picture from someone else.. Cutting Acrylic and it flashed to a fire and the Exhaust Blower fanned the Flames... A 40K+ Laser.... and my Fire Spitting Router Bit...

Good Luck !!!!

AL

smv1978
05-15-2012, 01:02 PM
I want to thank everybody for there support, when I started this post my goal was to make people aware of the danger of leaving there CarveWright unatended so this does not happen to anybody else. I have had many IM's/emails from complete strangers asking how they can help.

I live In a small town In Kansas an right now I am trying to figure out how to get all the trash and scrap out of my yard .. so If anybody happens to live near Kingman county Kansas that has a truck and wants to help that would be great. I am off work the next 3 days to take care of this.

Edit: Just got off the phone with the trash companie and they will pick up the trash for free 10 bags at a time (may take a few weeks to get it all but it is free) so all I have to haul is the scrap metal.

I was asked to move the donation link to my signature still not sure how I feal about doing it (I dont like asking for money) but it is there

smv1978
05-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Pulled the card out of the Carvewright .. Looks bad but somehow still works

You can see the card in the botton right of the first pick .. Better view of the card in the second.

smv1978
05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
If anybody wants to follow updates on my shop my mom will be updating her blog as I rebuild http://ksborn.blogspot.com/search/label/Shad%27s%20shop

Thanks to everybody that has helped I have been able to replace the window and cracked Siding panel.