PDA

View Full Version : Shop Safety Reminder-Warning Graphic

lynnfrwd
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Friend of a friend had table saw accident 2.5 weeks ago. 53036

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
05-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the warning- it really is horrible how quickly the human body can be mangled by metal.

I hope your friend heals as quickly, completely, and painlessly as possible.

Lawrence

Old Salt
05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
After over 50 years of running saws, 2 years ago I got the end of my thumb .
It can happen to any of us.
Keep up your gard.

ladjr
05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
The old saying. "There are those that have and those that haven't yet".

Everyone be careful.

Leo

cestout
05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Ouch - but not in the first few seconds. Been there. In 1970 I removed the middle joint from my left little finger with my (classic now) Monkey Ward Radial Arm Saw plus various other smaller calamities. When you do this stuff long enough the odds are just a Leo said. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING, a momentary laps is all it takes.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
05-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Ouch.... I have seen a few bad ones in my time..... I still have 10 digits.... But I am Very Cautious... and Lucky...

I hate Table Saws..... I like Sleds for Table Saws... Gives you more control....

AL

Deolman
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Another old saying - Machines do not come with brains, you have to use your own.

lawrence
05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Another old saying - Machines do not come with brains, you have to use your own.

that saying never met a sawstop ;)

All politics aside on whether it should be mandatory or not (I really don't want to start that debate here) the technology itself is AMAZING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZV8eEGUDYc4

lawrence

myshop1044
05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I have a friend that has a sawstop in his shop and one of his firends
came in contact with the blade and it stopped the blade in a milly sec. and did not cut his finger.
All he had was a slight redness on the finger.
But all sawstops should come with a couple rolls of tolit paper too.

Perry

CNC Carver
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Simply amazing.

atauer
05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Connie,

How did you get a picture of my hand from high school? I did the exact same thing back in my sophomore year of high school...

lynnfrwd
05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Connie,

How did you get a picture of my hand from high school? I did the exact same thing back in my sophomore year of high school...

Feminine hand alex!

I never noticed til u showed me today. I don't think they were able to sew anything back in missy's hand.

I have another friend that recently lost middle finger on right hand. Smooched between truck and gate.

My cousin got his hand caught between boat trailer and hitch last year. He didn't loose any fingers but has had 7 surgeries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lone star
06-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Things do go wrong in an instant. My husband recently had a run in with a jointer. Looks like it will require plastic surgery and we are waiting for the referral to get this taken care of.

pkunk
06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
The second time I did the number on my fingers, I came up with the $$ for a Sawstop. Every day using a tablesaw and sooner or later it'll get you.53964

crash5050
06-14-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't have pictures, but I had a run in with a Saito 180 4 stroke airplaine engine, lost my birdie finger at the middle knuckle, 44 stiches on the other 3 fingers. Tip of the Year, never stick you hand into a rotating propeller....

ladjr
06-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch

You know the old saying. "There are those that have and those that have not yet"

Leo

TerryT
06-14-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't have pictures, but I had a run in with a Saito 180 4 stroke airplaine engine, lost my birdie finger at the middle knuckle, 44 stiches on the other 3 fingers. Tip of the Year, never stick you hand into a rotating propeller....

Years ago I used to fly 1/4 Gere Sports, pitts and others. A 16" prop can wack you pretty good!

DocWheeler
04-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Just saw that there is now an alternative to SawStop.
Here is a link to the loud video (https://youtu.be/nbDf2dpQVIY).

smurfjeep
04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder, one thing I used to say during my military days on the flightily was "thing can go from "bad" to "OH My God" in no time at all"

zan29
04-02-2015, 01:43 PM
That almost happened a while back and now I'm so afraid to use my tablesaw but I have to in some projects. Terrible feeling I must say! I am considering the saw-stop for sure.
We can never be careful enough around tools!

Suzanne

aokweld101
04-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I have a saying........ Keep your hands away from moving parts..... And.... if your gonna be stupid you gotta be tough..

jakab
04-02-2015, 02:44 PM
I had a table saw accident on Jan 2nd this year. Three finger tips damaged, bones chipped, 7 stitches, just now I'm getting better and can start using my hand again. Feeling on those three fingers is severely degraded with lots of hard scar tissue. Hand is stiff and can now, after 3 months, start to make a fist, but not much strength yet.

I got a SawStop in March, an excellent machine and I think well worth the price of a hand or a few fingers. If you buy now they have a special where you can get a mobile base or overarm dust collection for free.

I only wish I had bought it sooner.

RogerB
04-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Hate to say it but it hurts like hell. just did my thumb with stacked blades. Used all 8 blades on 1 thumb. Just nicked it so did not loose anything. Dam close call.

mikemi
04-02-2015, 07:04 PM
I bought a new tablesaw last November and now I wish I had waited. I really like the idea of no blade damage if you happen to not concentrate for that split second. I am still very happy with my saw, especially after I set up a router lift on the extension part of it. Space saver in the shop.

Mike

Mike58
04-03-2015, 10:48 AM
In my years working in fleet maintenance at Waste Management we had weekly safety meets that covered a multitude of things relating to our work environment and also added was a section about "taking it home".

I must tell you, the material made me think about a lot of POSSIBLE things that could go wrong while on the job, while at home. Cutting with a knife - if the knife suddenly cuts thru is it going to hit me. I could go on and on but you get the idea. One of the things it sparked was a thing between my wife and I in the kitchen. Our refrigerator is across from the stove. So, you are cooking and have to turn around and pull the door open and back up as you open it. Well there on the stove is a (or more) handle sticking out from a skillet that's got something frying in it. How many times I would come through and turn the handles around instead of sticking straight out. I'd get a "look" about every time but I didn't really say why I did it.

Once it seems she had enough and said something about it to me. I realized that I had never told HER why I did it, and frankly that was partly why I had to keep doing it myself. She took it to be meddling in her business I guess. I told her that I wasn't doing it to be a dick to her or about her. I said I am doing it because I love you, and I don't want you to get hurt. You see the handle sticking out? You are standing in front of the refrigerator - and have to turn around to open the door, and then you step back or to the side slightly as you do. There is the handle sticking out for you to back into and knock the hot skillet off the stove and down you backside. I don't want you to do that. I am trying to protect you! Then I think it hit home and she understood my motives.

The point being the safety training was making me become AWARE of what might could go wrong or hurt me. It started me thinking before I did things and try to work and do things in a safer manner so I didn't get hurt. That is the first line of defense IMO - being aware and thinking what can go wrong. What can happen? I am very fortunate that I have done a lot of things that I could have been hurt or injured badly. Yet I have a very good record of minimum injuries over the years due to that awareness I think. Look at your work area and see what you can do to make it safer. Cords stretched across the floor, air hoses, junk scattered on the floor, in walk ways are a accident waiting to happen. Worse I think than getting yourself hurt would be hurting someone you love because you were careless.

mtylerfl
04-03-2015, 04:29 PM

I got a SawStop in March, an excellent machine and I think well worth the price of a hand or a few fingers. If you buy now they have a special where you can get a mobile base or overarm dust collection for free.

I only wish I had bought it sooner.

Good for you. I have a SawStop also and it's a precision piece of equipment...great investment both from the safety standpoint and for superb quality. You CAN have your cake and eat it too.

NLAlston
04-06-2015, 04:25 AM
My one and only accident (thank God) was when I first started in a wood shop. I, foolishly, attempted to remove a piece of cut wood from near a spinning tablesaw blade. I remember thinking that it didn't seem to be THAT close - but I was wrong. My left index finger was zinged just above the bone, right above the mid knuckle. Foolish indeed, and something I've learned NEVER to do again. That was a good 40, or so, years ago.

For the past 20 years I have been running a 3hp Delta Unisaw, and half of that time has been without saw guard/splitter. I had begun to get into some operations which could be performed with those devices installed, so I just left them off. Now, I wish I knew what I did with them. If I did, I would reinstall them. I also wish that I could afford the SawStop. I don't plan on having an accident (no sane person does), but - as already mentioned by another - all it takes is a momentary lapse of focus.

Maybe ONE day :)