PDA

View Full Version : Angled cuts

onearmedwoodworker
05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Is there a way to make either 45 or 22.5 degree cuts in a board multiple times to create some 1/2"thick X 2.5"wide X 5"long? The goal is to make parts for a lazy susan small parts carosel. By making the 22.5 degree cuts on each end of eight pieces I can assemble them around the hardboard centers. Any ideas. I am sure there is a way I just have not figured it out yet. Thanks

bergerud
05-07-2012, 06:28 PM
To draw lines at angles, first draw a line. Then click the right mouse button on the line and choose orientation from the menu and then set angle. You can now key in any angle you want.

ladjr
05-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Now you have my interest. How would that give you a 45 degree cut on end of wood, for example to make a box

Leo

bergerud
05-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I thought onearmedwoodworker wanted to make sectors to fit together into a disk. Maybe he wants to make miters in which case angled lines do not help much!

ladjr
05-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I thought onearmedwoodworker wanted to make sectors to fit together into a disk. Maybe he wants to make miters in which case angled lines do not help much!

Thanks that would have been to easy

Leo

Alan Malmstrom
05-07-2012, 09:25 PM
A straight gradient that is 251 pixels in width will give you a 1.96 inch wide beveled edge in designer if you dont change the width after importing and while placing on your board in Designer, if you plan on using a board that is .75 inch in depth and you set the depth of the pattern to .75 and the height to 999.

This 1.96 inches is the length of a straight bevel is that you need to achieve a 22.5 degree angle when carving .75" depth wood.

You can however change the hieght.

On second thought you may need to have a bevel that is .31 inces in width. You could do that by changing the size in Designer to .31. That would make eight peices fit together with the top carve.

You should test this first. Also the Bit Optimization should be best and the Feather set to none. I usually do this type of thing already built into my height map pattern. I don't know how it will work if you put it on top of some other object in Designer.

My Designer program doesn't have any surfaces other than Domes.

I have attached a staight bevel that you can import as a pattern for carving.

Alan

bergerud
05-07-2012, 10:16 PM
This may not be too useful, but it is kind of interesting. If two domes are merge added together, one can make a straight bevel. A little fooling around can get you any angle. Check out the mpc.

cestout
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Not to be a party-pooper, but why not just use a miter saw and save the CNC for what it is uniquely good at?
Clint

onearmedwoodworker
05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Thank you for the insight. My compund miter saw balade is out getting sharpened so I was going to use another tool.

So nce I am using1/2" thkic stock should I decrease the heigth to 666? Thanks

ladjr
05-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Thank you for the insight. My compund miter saw balade is out getting sharpened so I was going to use another tool.

So nce I am using1/2" thkic stock should I decrease the heigth to 666? Thanks

I know the Miter saw works great, but if you have it in the Carvewright some times it would be easier to have it make the cut.

Please post picture of your cuts and project

Good Luck

Leo

James RS
05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I was reading this and figured I give this a shot, probably not what you're looking for.
But it's a 45 d x 1/2x2x5 with 22.5 on each end here's with the 22.5* angles both ways