PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Chest Arched Top

stinggray
05-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm building a treasure chest and didn't like how the top come out. The top looks plane compared to the rest of the chest as the top only carving on the sides and it's also to tall for the for the box below. I'm going to build a shorter top from slats to create the basic arch shape of the top. What I would like to do is use Carvewright design software to design an arched top with texture and some pattens on it. So far I have only worked with a flat surface. My question is how I would go about designing the arch with an arched surface? Any input would greatly appreciated.

Thanks Craig

AskBud
05-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm building a treasure chest and didn't like how the top come out. The top looks plane compared to the rest of the chest as the top only carving on the sides and it's also to tall for the for the box below. I'm going to build a shorter top from slats to create the basic arch shape of the top. What I would like to do is use Carvewright design software to design an arched top with texture and some pattens on it. So far I have only worked with a flat surface. My question is how I would go about designing the arch with an arched surface? Any input would greatly appreciated.

Thanks Craig

530115301253013We are limited to 8/10 of an inch in depth of carve.
You may apply a dome and set the depth to .800, and set the Height to 999, as shown in the attached MPC and picture. I included a pattern overlay set to "Additive" Merge, so you may see the possibilities of placing your pattern selection(s) on this top. Applications of Conforming Vectors to Centerline text and other Vector lines will also be possible.
AskBud.

cestout
05-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I have been taught and find that it works best if you build the entire box as a unit, then cut the top off. Proportions and fit are better.
Clint

fwharris
05-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I have been taught and find that it works best if you build the entire box as a unit, then cut the top off. Proportions and fit are better.
Clint

Clint, Great point. First time I saw that being done was Lawrence's post on one of his boxes. Makes total sense...

stinggray
05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
We are limited to 8/10 of an inch in depth of carve.
You may apply a dome and set the depth to .800, and set the Height to 999, as shown in the attached MPC and picture. I included a pattern overlay set to "Additive" Merge, so you may see the possibilities of placing your pattern selection(s) on this top. Applications of Conforming Vectors to Centerline text and other Vector lines will also be possible.
AskBud.

Thanks this working great with the dome and the pattern. But when I add a texture with additive it shows on the pattern. Is there a way to have the pattern and texture follow the dome but not have the texture on the patterns?

Thanks Craig

lynnfrwd
05-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Try playing with the heights. Lower texture height and/or raise pattern height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AskBud
05-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks this working great with the dome and the pattern. But when I add a texture with additive it shows on the pattern. Is there a way to have the pattern and texture follow the dome but not have the texture on the patterns?

Thanks CraigI began by making my rectangle, then doing a Copy & Paste. From there I Highlighted both and Centered them (for consistancy). Next, I renamed each one to reflect its usage. I then applied the function to each, and applied a "Subtractive Merge" to the Dome rectangle. Once these were finished, I placed my pattern on the design.
AskBud

stinggray
05-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I got it, Thanks

stinggray
05-13-2012, 06:44 AM
When carving the domed peace above on the CW should I make wider so both rollers always have contact, then when asked to to center it choose yes?

AskBud
05-13-2012, 08:39 AM
When carving the domed peace above on the CW should I make wider so both rollers always have contact, then when asked to to center it choose yes?YES! You always need to assure that the pressure rollers do not drop, and abort your carve. This is true for domes as well as any other carve that spans the board surface. You may leave 1/2 inch rails (un carved top and bottom areas) in your design, or provide stock wider than your design, or attach rails to your stock, or use a sled/jig, as you wish.
AskBud