PDA

View Full Version : Customer service at LHR?

Sallen1215
05-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok, so normally i wouldn't do this but i am beyond floored at the circumstances here. I placed an order for simple parts to bring my machine back up and running, my credit card was charged and the order was placed, mind you this was April 30th. These pieces are currently keeping my machine from working and were "in stock". Here it is 4 days later and my order has not been picked in order to ship yet....really?. So now i have a carvewright paperweight and another week with no production. i understand the 48 hour processing time but i am a business owner and in my mind when something is ordered you give the order to a warehouse guy who then picks the 4-5 pieces and scans them and puts them in an envelope. Then the order is shipped to the consumer. It should not take 4 days to pick a ticket for shipment with everything in stock. Customer service is what a company defines itself on and this is a poor example and i am voicing my opinion about this bad practice. I know some will come out with the whole i could pay for extra shipping and get stuff faster but that is not the point cause my items have not even been picked as of yet. Also i know some people will chime in about they have a 3-8 day ship period but as i see it i can order parts from California and they will arrive long before they even get processed at LHR. That is my complaint here. And this post may get deleted but at least i got my side out there and if it is to be deleted then so be it but customer service is non existent as far as i can see.

A normally happy Carvewright carver,

Stephen Allen
Patterns by Stephen

lynnfrwd
05-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Not just normally, but anytime it is unacceptable, but normally, it doesn't happen this way at LHR. We are currently going through an off period and most people in the forum know this. We basically ran out of machines and several parts. Typically, we get customer orders placed and shipped in the same day. Any warranty approvals add a day or two unless there is an exception or question about the "diagnosis". Dependent upon where you are determines how long it takes UPS to get it there. Officially, shipping is 7-10 days, but most get it much quicker than that.

Machines and parts arrived yesterday. Backorders are going out, but there are still items that need to be inventoried or built up into products. We do a lot in house.

I'm sorry our circumstances delayed your parts.

Your credit card should only have a hold on it. We don't normally "capture" the money until parts are shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sallen1215
05-03-2012, 11:53 PM
I understand an off period but according to your own "customer service" personnel all of these parts were in stock and not back ordered. Im in Virginia and i know how long it takes to ship ups ground. When i placed the order the guy even said " items should arrive by Friday if your in central VA.

Stephen Allen
Patterns by Stephen

lynnfrwd
05-04-2012, 12:00 AM
We do have a new CSR named Jay and this is twice today, I've heard of him setting up customer expectations beyond standard and what is presently possible. I will straighten it out tomorrow.

Sallen1215
05-04-2012, 12:12 AM
The CSR i talked with was named ALEX and the order number is 73547

Stephen Allen
Patterns by Stephen

lynnfrwd
05-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Hmmph!! I will address it tomorrow.

Ton80
05-04-2012, 07:41 AM
hmm, a public flogging? Can you air it over the internet? LOL

Stinks you had to wait for parts. I also ordered a Y motor pack about 12 days ago and I was actually quite surprised when it arrived on my doorstep 4 days later. Texas to New York mind you!

KeystoneChuck
05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I had the same problem. It me 30 days, yes 30 days to get my order. I placed an order for (2) bits and received 1 with the paper work stating "Back Ordered) understandable, it happens. but why would their e-mail state "your order has been COMPLETED SUCCESFULLY"? After a great number of unanswered e-mails I got one back stating the do not have a date when the bits are due to arrive in. Mind you my credit card was charged in full when the order was placed. More aggravation with LHR and their customer service but I won't bore you with that. I finally received my back ordered bit 30 days later. Good machine BAD customer service.

fspearman1
05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
I was gonna reply but guess I won't....

lynnfrwd
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Sallen:

Order placed Monday and shipped Thursday. Tracking information entered Friday. According to UPS will arrive in Virginia Tuesday.

KeystoneChuck:

Order placed 4/1. In stock bit sent 4/3, order noted that second bit was on back order both hand-written on the invoice and in ORDER notes; marked COMPLETE, which sent automatic "YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED" email to customer with notification of back order in notes field and then order was moved to BACK-ORDER STATUS until the second bit was received and shipped to you on 4/25. Order moved back to COMPLETE status 4/26. I do not have access to see at exactly which point in this process your money was actually "captured". It should have been temporarily held starting the 1st and then captured around the 26th.

Typical practice for Charging Credit Cards - Any time an order is placed, the money is temporarily held on your credit card for about three days. We have 30 days in which to "capture" that money. If we don't capture it within 30 days, then we need to re-place the order on your credit card. Money is usually captured when the order ships. If an order has items that are not available or on back order, we should be asking the customer if they want us to hold everything on the order or ship what we have now and send back-ordered items later at no additional shipping cost to the customer.

Notice there are a lot of "should"s, "usually"s and "typically"s in there. It doesn't always go by the plan ("the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray"). We knew this would be a rough couple of weeks waiting to get our shipment. It's almost over, but we still have at least one more week of trying to get caught up with back-orders, assembling new parts into products, and preparing & testing new machines to fill all of our pre-orders, plus HOPEFULLY the Wood Magazine ad will generate some additional sales. So, this thread may still grow with yet more frustrated customers. It is frustrating to us, as well, and we do thank you for your patience.

dltccf
05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I had the same problem. It me 30 days, yes 30 days to get my order. I placed an order for (2) bits and received 1 with the paper work stating "Back Ordered) understandable, it happens. but why would their e-mail state "your order has been COMPLETED SUCCESFULLY"? After a great number of unanswered e-mails I got one back stating the do not have a date when the bits are due to arrive in. Mind you my credit card was charged in full when the order was placed. More aggravation with LHR and their customer service but I won't bore you with that. I finally received my back ordered bit 30 days later. Good machine BAD customer service.

There's your problem: it's a dang two bit order. (I know bad pun, but I couldn't resist)

chief2007
05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Y'all remember Texas is a big state, it takes 3 days for email out of Texas to cross the state line, lol

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM
With used machines going for about $500.00 it would be a good business investment to have a backup machine or two... I just finished another coat of white paint on the letters of 5 signs.... And later today I have a bunch of Fire Tags to make... I learned a long time ago to buy backup parts and machines. It takes the stress out of using the hobby machine for a business.... Yes, it does take time to build a profit to buy the extra machines and parts but you will sleep better.

If anyone gets in to a big Time CRUNCH contact me.... I might be able to help with a loaner part and you can send me the new part when it arrives.

I have extra brushes, board sensors, X Gears and Y gear box gears and some switches.

Good Luck,

AL

fwharris
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
With used machines going for about $500.00 it would be a good business investment to have a backup machine or two... I just finished another coat of white paint on the letters of 5 signs.... And later today I have a bunch of Fire Tags to make... I learned a long time ago to buy backup parts and machines. It takes the stress out of using the hobby machine for a business.... Yes, it does take time to build a profit to buy the extra machines and parts but you will sleep better.

If anyone gets in to a big Time CRUNCH contact me.... I might be able to help with a loaner part and you can send me the new part when it arrives.

I have extra brushes, board sensors, X Gears and Y gear box gears and some switches.

Good Luck,

AL

Great advice sir!! and of course thanks for the back up!!!

chief2007
05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree as well, I have 2 machines now, with just about a full back up on parts, working on getting machine 3.

Ike
05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
I was gonna reply but guess I won't....

Lol looks like you did reply!

lynnfrwd
05-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Mr spearman has aired his issues to me already both publicly and privately. Hopefully, he is on his way to becoming a happy carvoholic and maybe some day, we can earn his respect and win him over as a supporter of LHR.

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2012, 02:52 PM
lynnfrwd,

I for one really appreciate your presence here on the Forum and really like when the "Firmware Lord" makes a post as it shows how responsive LHR has been to our concerns and issues.

As is said in business many times. One HAPPY customer will tell 10 people he is HAPPY with the Service or Product. One Unhappy Customer will tell 1000..... So for the Hundreds of Happy CarveWright Users, "WE Thank YOU"

And a second famous saying in Customer Service especially in the NAVY.... "Poor Planning on your part, does not constitute and emergency on MY part" Although never said in public...

Plan for a breakdown and build it into your deadlines. Have a PLAN....

Good Luck,

AL

unitedcases
05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Amen Al.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

fspearman1
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I agree as well, I have 2 machines now, with just about a full back up on parts, working on getting machine 3.

Must be nice to be able to invest that kind of money and not get an ROI. I have a fully equipped shop but I certainly can't afford to have spare machines on hand. I have to rely on my parts suppliers or repair shops to get what I need in a timely manner. If they don't I go elsewhere. Problem is there is no elsewhere with LHR.

chief2007
05-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Must be nice to be able to invest that kind of money and not get an ROI. I have a fully equipped shop but I certainly can't afford to have spare machines on hand. I have to rely on my parts suppliers or repair shops to get what I need in a timely manner. If they don't I go elsewhere. Problem is there is no elsewhere with LHR.

Actually I did it the old fashion way, started with one machine, built up the business, when enough was earned bought machine #2. Then bought spare parts to stay ahead of the game, and reorder as I use then.

I have gotten my return on investment and then some which allows me to be able to donate monies to the Wounded Warrior Project. I am in need a 3rd machine because I have been fortunate enough that business is doing well. I now need a spare machine in the event one goes down. I carve on both machines also daily. As with the 2 machine, I'll wait until the funds are in hand.

My apologizes if I offended you.

AskBud
05-04-2012, 04:51 PM
sallen, fspearman1,
Sometimes this link will have what you need, in a rush, even someone that can "loan" you something.
If bits were your hold-up I'll bet you could even get a loan of the Carving or Cutting bits that require a pressed on sleeve.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?46-Buy-Sell-Trade

fspearman1
05-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually I did it the old fashion way, started with one machine, built up the business, when enough was earned bought machine #2. Then bought spare parts to stay ahead of the game, and reorder as I use then.

I have gotten my return on investment and then some which allows me to be able to donate monies to the Wounded Warrior Project. I am in need a 3rd machine because I have been fortunate enough that business is doing well. I now need a spare machine in the event one goes down. I carve on both machines also daily. As with the 2 machine, I'll wait until the funds are in hand.

My apologizes if I offended you.

You did not offend me.

I have a full wood shop. Not just a sign maker. That's not why I bought the machine. I bought it to carve panels in cabinets, table aprons, fronts of chests, etc.

I do hope that someday LHR will recognise that there are other types of woodworkers out there and not just sign makers.

I don't use the machine much. I am actually afraid that it will fail again. The carves I have done I am very pleased with. And my clients have been very pleased with the results.

I just wish that folks would not live in a vacuum and quit saying that its a "learning curve" every time there are issues with the machines.

SteveEJ
05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Actually, there are quite a few of us that are more than sign makers! If I were that time sensitive in my business I would do as some have suggested and keep some spare parts on hand. This will not solve all problems but will help. There is an old saying out there that goes like this: 'Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours'. I hope that doesn't offend you more than you calling us 'Sign Makers'. There are quite a few quality wood workers and craftsmen here too.

fspearman1
05-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Actually, there are quite a few of us that are more than sign makers! If I were that time sensitive in my business I would do as some have suggested and keep some spare parts on hand. This will not solve all problems but will help. There is an old saying out there that goes like this: 'Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours'. I hope that doesn't offend you more than you calling us 'Sign Makers'. There are quite a few quality wood workers and craftsmen here too.
Most of what I see on this forum are sign makers. There is nothing worng with that. It si a craft just as a furniture maker is. My point is that Lhr caters more to that craft than others.

SteveEJ
05-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow.. All of the POM's by Michael Tyler, Jewelry boxes, humidors, shelves, calendars, mayan art, cabinet doors, safety tags, mantels, bird houses, clocks some with carved gears, etc... You need to branch out and look at other projects. Signs are a very small part of what is here and as far as I know, LHR, with their pattern store, projects, etc. are catering to the capabilities of the machine. Suggestion: Look at the old posts, pom's, shared patterns, etc. You will be enlightened I think..

Added: Ed's rotary jig is out of the box thinking that has been supported by LHR as well..

AskBud
05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Most of what I see on this forum are sign makers. There is nothing wrong with that. It si a craft just as a furniture maker is. My point is that Lhr caters more to that craft than others.I, for one, am not sure what you need.
True, sign making gets lots of posts. However, Furniture Making seems to get lots of attention as well. This Project link has several items which I would consider "furniture". http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=261

Obviously, we/you would not make a complete cabinet with the CarveWright (CW). However, the patterns we obtain, and the broken pieces we can scan with the probe give us the ability to enhance the face of various pieces of the said cabinet. To me, it's the concept of using the correct tool for the job at hand.

What is it you wish to attempting the CW? Perhaps someone has something similar for you to view.

This photo is one such project, I've attached just one of the MPCs involved.
AskBud

chief2007
05-04-2012, 06:28 PM
How about we all agree to disagree on this. All have good points. All have had issues at one time or another, whether it was the machine, customer service, each other or something else.

We have one thing in common - we are CARVERS. Whether it is a sign, a toy, a shadow box, a humidor or custom furniture, we have that in common.

Best of carving to all of us....

unknowncarver
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Just to let you know fspearman1 you can find parts and especially bits on Amazon, Ebay and elsewhere on the internet as well as at sears and Lowes. The only problem with lowes and sometimes sears is that they often are shipped from LHR so if they are on backorder there you still get stuck. Amazon also has parts that come from LHR but also several independent sellers as well. I often buy bits on ebay both original equipment and other brands that work with carvewright.

fwharris
05-04-2012, 07:42 PM
How about we all agree to disagree on this. All have good points. All have had issues at one time or another, whether it was the machine, customer service, each other or something else.

We have one thing in common - we are CARVERS. Whether it is a sign, a toy, a shadow box, a humidor or custom furniture, we have that in common.

Best of carving to all of us....

AMEN!! Make dust not waves!!!

Digitalwoodshop
05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
And since we are talking machine use and it's possibly having a causality or stop working during a big time sensitive project....

Things that it would be nice to have on hand...

1 Flex Shaft Assembly

1 Board Sensor

1 1/8 inch cutting bit

4 Cut Motor Brushes

2 Center Tapped Roller Bearings and screws

4 Off Center Tapped Roller Bearings and screws

1 X Gear Assembly

2 Sets of Sand Paper Belts if you use them

2 Y Gear Box big gear and shaft

6 Y Gear Box internal Bearings 5mm x 11mm x 5mm

1 Z Truck

2 FSC Cables

That is the short list.

AL

SteveEJ
05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Excellent Al!

I forgot to mention Brandon (LG) and his beautiful Violins!

The machine has it's limitations but it has so many more capabilities. I just finished cutting out front door initials for a fund raiser for my grandson. I built a sled, cut the stock a standard size, designed the letters and produced them much quicker than I could do with my band saw. 1/8" cedar plywood and 1/8" straight cut bit and they took about 3 minutes each to cut.

There is someone out there that is cutting out ribs and other parts for an experimental aircraft.

The mind is the limitation. Vector carves, relief carvings, STL's with slicing of the models, etc.

Woodworking stores sell appliques you can glue on the surface of a piece of furniture. I can carve them into the surface or make it raised, right into the wood stock itself.

That is just a small part. And NO I do not sell CW or work for them. I own a machine and try to learn what I can do and it's liitations so I can work around them..

LittleRedWoodshop
05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't care who ya are ... that's funny right there!

fspearman1
05-05-2012, 06:27 AM
I suppose that if you spent $1300 on a machine that did not work right out of the box, be told that "sorry, that's your problem" you would be a happy carver. And then have comments again and again that it was a "learning curve" you would be a little frustrated also!!!!!!!!!!!!

signman9999
05-05-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't know I may be wrong but I don't know too many things in this world that can be done without a learning curve. Even as a child you had to learn how to crawl before you could run. Then had to learn how to stand without falling before you could walk. If anyone expects to run that marathon out of the box... well I for one am not that great.

chief2007
05-05-2012, 07:11 AM
What fspearman simply said was when he got his machine, and set up to run, the machine was not operational. That would be frustrating to anyone of us. Mechanical problems in a case like that are not a learning curve.

Enough said - back to carving and pleasant times

lynnfrwd
05-05-2012, 08:07 AM
I suppose that if you spent $1300 on a machine that did not work right out of the box, be told that "sorry, that's your problem" you would be a happy carver. And then have comments again and again that it was a "learning curve" you would be a little frustrated also!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, chief, not enough said.

Mr. Spearman:

We sent you a free memory card and attempted to get it going without shipping the machine back first. It didn't solve the problem, so we brought it in, put a new controller in and shipped it back to you at no cost under warranty.

I mentioned the learning curve once in other thread and then apologized in that thread that yours was in fact a technical issue with the machine. However, I'm still not sure how you got 1 hr 45 min on a machine that was dead on arrival with a bad memory card and blown controller.

Now...I know you are still bitter, but hopefully we can move forward instead of continuing to beat this horse.

chief2007
05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
You're right Lynn, this horse is dead, let's bury it.

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
The plot thickins.... 1 hour 45 min... 20 min is normal for a new machine with factory testing... 1 hour 45 min.... How many times have we seen a new user and a Shop Vac Kill a machine after just one project.... The Static Electricity... Sucking the chips out of the machine then nothing... blank LCD... It normally takes out the controller.... Hummmmm.....

Well, call it a learning curve... No Vacuum Cleaners with Static Producing plastic hoses... It has been posted many times.

Then it's 95% Attitude.... The glass is half full.... not the glass is half empty. If EVERY post is tainted with a bad attitude then it might be time to give up. You will never be happy.

Once you learn the machine it won't be so intimidating. We all had to learn it the machine and never do I think that I won't do a project because I fear the machine will stop working...

Ringneck Blues Dust Hood is a good choice in dust collecting. A Shop Vac will eventually Kill the machine. Like Clint would say... Do you feel Lucky?... All it takes is one Ten Thousand Volt Static Jolt and you have a $1300.00 paperweight.

Good Luck,

AL

TerryT
05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
The plot thickins.... 1 hour 45 min... 20 min is normal for a new machine with factory testing... 1 hour 45 min.... How many times have we seen a new user and a Shop Vac Kill a machine after just one project.... The Static Electricity... Sucking the chips out of the machine then nothing... blank LCD... It normally takes out the controller.... Hummmmm.....

AL

Or installing or removing the card while the machine is turned on.

gapdev
05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Things that it would be nice to have on hand...

1 Flex Shaft Assembly

1 Board Sensor

1 1/8 inch cutting bit

4 Cut Motor Brushes

2 Center Tapped Roller Bearings and screws

4 Off Center Tapped Roller Bearings and screws

1 X Gear Assembly

2 Sets of Sand Paper Belts if you use them

2 Y Gear Box big gear and shaft

6 Y Gear Box internal Bearings 5mm x 11mm x 5mm

1 Z Truck

2 FSC Cables

AL

And we should be able to order all of these parts on-line in the LHR on-line store. It's a lot easier than making phone calls, dealing with getting Credit Card numbers correct, being put on hold, etc.

Sears has most of the parts, but they don't show things like the Y-Gear box and bearings. They also take longer and charge more.

Kenny

Sallen1215
05-05-2012, 03:07 PM
OK when i posted this i was not trying to open a can of worms here. just pointing out a gap in customer service and what was said on the phone and what actually happened.. This has taken a life of its own and i think lost focus on what i was trying to accomplish. Connie i would like to make a formal request we lock this thread as it seems to be more of a carvewright smearing and beating thread as opposed to trying to expose and fix fix the customer service problems.

Stephen Allen
Patterns by Stephen