PDA

View Full Version : need some super help

myshop1044
04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I was contacted by a newbie thru the START U program, attached is rug of some sort
and he wanted to try to probe it into a pattern that could be carverd. The object is 24" x 24",
I told him it was to big in size to be probed anyway.
Is there any way any of you guys could convert this picture into a pattern that could carved in 2 or 3 pieces.
I'm not sure how experianced he is in woodworking either, but I'm trying to help him out or at lease guide him in
the right direction.
Any help or advice would be great.

Perry B

Alan Malmstrom
04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll give this a try tomorrow.

Alan

b.sumner47
04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Joe from mass. I sent you an e-mail . We both live in mass and I will help you if I can.

Capt Barry

chief2007
05-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Here's my try at it.

Alan Malmstrom
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I was very busy today. Had a 4 hour softball game to go to, a few hours of sanding etc. but I found time to get this done. It's all drawn in GIMP using masks and the Air Brush, Layres, and then a little mirroring. I managed the heights using curves and Bightness/Contrast. And merged the layers using layer modes. One is a hgih resolution and the other low.

Alan

SharonB
05-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Alan... you certainly did a nice job with his pattern. I would never have thought you could have come up with such good pattern from his picture.

myshop1044
05-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Alan thanks you so much for your efforts. I found out from my newbie that he wants to use this as ceiling tiles
in his new home. I told him I thought this project was verry aggressive for a new person. He purchased a machine
last night just to do this project. I feel he and I will be doing a lot of talking over the length of the project.
Thanks again

Perry B

lynnfrwd
05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Alan thanks you so much for your efforts. I found out from my newbie that he wants to use this as ceiling tiles
in his new home. I told him I thought this project was verry aggressive for a new person. He purchased a machine
last night just to do this project. I feel he and I will be doing a lot of talking over the length of the project.
Thanks again

Perry B

Perry, he bought everything, except no machine was on his order.

eelamb
05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Alan, very impressive, great work. Perry that should carve nicely.

jpaluck
05-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Very impressive Alan...I couldn't begin to figure out how to do it without 3d software..very nice..

gwhiz
05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Very nicely done Alan--I'm tempted to carve it just to see how it turns out! I wonder what the carve time is on a ceiling full of these...I mean, I wonder how many machine months it's gonna take...

chief2007
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Nicely out done! Very nice Alan - I am still learning some of the techniques, some turn out great others not so much.

eelamb
05-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Chief, sorry I forgot to complement you. Your pattern came out great too, just got side tracked when I saw Alan's.

Alan Malmstrom
05-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Very impressive Alan...I couldn't begin to figure out how to do it without 3d software..very nice..

This was somewhat easy in 2D. Basically I made a selection of each peice, filled white inside the selection and then drew black with the air brush until each peice looked good and round. Then used a pin pointed curve brush on some parts, on a layer above it set to grain merge (blends whatever is underneith nicely).

I only drew 1/8 of the whole thing and then flipped and rotated and then used the mirror filter horizontaly and verticaly (Only a matter of seconds).

Alan