PDA

View Full Version : Decorative Carved Vase - Project of the Month MAY 2012

mtylerfl
04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for MAY 2012), the Decorative Carved Vase.

This wooden vase features a carved flourish motif and can be used to contain a nice arrangement of artificial flowers and plants for display on a shelf or table. The vase makes a great gift for almost any occasion!

The project uses the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. The overall dimensions of the finished project are about 7¾"high x 8" wide x 3" deep.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Vase_Front-Back.mpc
• Vase_Mid-Sections.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Front-Back: .75" x 9" x 24"
Mid-Sections: .75" x 11" x 17.5"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Wood glue, clamps, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Decorative Carved Vase made from Select Pine:

• Rustoleum Ultimate Stain - American Walnut
• Several coats Krylon acrylic clear (spray)

Smoken D
04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Another GREAT LOOKING project Michael. Will make a very nice table topper!

rcdages
04-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Michael,

Once again the home run with the Vase.

How do you like the Rustoleum Ultimate Stain ?? We have talked about it, at that point you or I had not used it.

I know the drying time is less.

easybuilt
04-30-2012, 09:34 AM
That is a beautiful project and great idea Michael. Can't wait to carve it.

chebytrk
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Question comes in mind to this great upcoming project......... what would be good to put on the inside if wanting to put water in it for the flowers. Will a clear laquer be enough to keep the inside water-proof? Don't want the wood to get water soaked and swell up. Also, looks like just by increasing the size of the middle section, this vase can be made bigger to accomodate larger set of flowers or even a nice plant. Thanks Michael "ya dun good". :D

mtylerfl
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank you everyone. Hope you enjoy it!

Robert, I love the Rustoleum Ultimate Stain product! It does indeed dry much faster than any other oil-stain I've used before. I started applying clearcoat 2 hours after staining. (I may have been able to apply sooner - the can label says you can apply clearcoat in about an hour, but I was doing other things and 2 hours passed before I got back to the project.)

Jerry, I actually did think a bit about the possibility of coating the interior with something that could reliably hold water/moisture over the long-term. A few ideas came to mind...

1) Paint the interior with Dip-IT tool handle coating

2) Fabricate some kind of liner using thin plastic sheets, then apply silicon sealer in the corners of the liner (like aquarium sealer)

3) I've seen some product advertised on TV recently. I cannot recall the name of it, but it is in a spray can and it's pitched as a rubberized sealer for leaky roofs, gutters and stuff like that. In the TV infomercial, they cut a hole in the bottom of a boat, install a screen door painted with the sealer, then the sales spokesperson gets in the boat to prove how well the seal works. Seems impressive and might work for sealing the vase. However, it might be difficult to direct the spray coating well enough inside the vase interior after it's assembled.

The simplest thing is to just use silk plants or flowers, so that's what I'm doing. Oh, and yes, you could make the vase capacity larger by cutting more mid-sections.

chevytrucking
04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
How about a spray can of undercoating or bed liner sold at automotive parts stores? I've used the undercoating on metal before, but I've never tested it on wood. I'll bet it would work.

ladjr
04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Be careful, a lot of sprays can not be used with plants

Leo

cr3beast
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
The stuff you are talking about is called "Flex Seal" you can buy it at Lowe's I believe. As far as it killing the flowers, most flowers last a week at the most anyway, I don't think it will kill them any faster....thought I am not really a flower guy so I could be mistaken. I am gonna try it out though, I'll let ya know if there is any problems with premature death of roses.

chebytrk
05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I once heard that putting a birth control pill in a flower vase with flowers, would keep the flowers alive for a long time. First........ IF my girlfriend or wife was taking birth control pills and she used one for the flower vase instead of taking it..... DUDE ! I ain't sayin' ... I'm just sayin' :) Makes one wonder about some baby names..... Rose, Bud... etc.. LOL

The stuff you are talking about is called "Flex Seal" you can buy it at Lowe's I believe. As far as it killing the flowers, most flowers last a week at the most anyway, I don't think it will kill them any faster....thought I am not really a flower guy so I could be mistaken. I am gonna try it out though, I'll let ya know if there is any problems with premature death of roses.

rickyz
05-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I know the flex seal is also available at home depot... stuff works great... repaired a leaking partswasher with no problem. wasn't affected by the heat and it stuck to the plastic base of it real well... haven't tried on wood but it should work fine...