PDA

View Full Version : Serving Tray

Bigtyme
04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I have been asked to carve a serving tray with a wine pattern as a donation to a local charity for their annual charity auction. I found a pattern on the forum for a tray and added a wine bottle pattern in the middle of the tray. When I attempt to upload it I get an error message that the bits won't carve some of it because of depth, but the entire board is only 1" thick so I may have some pattern issues. I have looked in the various stores without any success and would be happy to pay for a serving tray pattern with handles and about 18"-19" by 12" or so....any help would be greatly appreciated.

AskBud
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Before you move away from your first choice for the project, attach your MPC so we may possibly help you resolve your issues.
AskBud

Bigtyme
04-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Thank you Bud, I will try to attach it

Bigtyme
04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Thx Bud....just responded....

Bigtyme
04-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Many thanks to AskBud as we got together and as he put it "Re-Engineered" the original pattern. I really appreciate his guidance and want to share the result. It will be a long carve, but think it will come out quite nicely. Thanks Bud!!!

SteveNelson46
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM

Did you check out Michael Tyler's pattern of the month for April 2011?

(http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21722&cat=0&page=1)http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21722&cat=0&page=1

I made a couple of them but I didn't take any pics. Here is a screen capture of the tray bottom. I substituted solid wood for the plywood and carved this pattern (dxf). Maybe you could put your pattern...

Bigtyme
04-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. I will certainly check it out.....

AskBud
04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Many thanks to AskBud as we got together and as he put it "Re-Engineered" the original pattern. I really appreciate his guidance and want to share the result. It will be a long carve, but think it will come out quite nicely. Thanks Bud!!!

Be advised that this is a 2 sided carve on a one inch board.
AskBud

chebytrk
04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Question.......... I'm trying to make the tray a little smaller since I can't get 14" boards at HD or LOWES (only 11 1/4). I've gone in to the project and "un clicked" all the centering (front and back) and when I select it all I still can't shrink it down. What am I doing wrong OR can I do it (shrink it all) that way? Thanks, JerryB

dltccf
04-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Question.......... I'm trying to make the tray a little smaller since I can't get 14" boards at HD or LOWES (only 11 1/4). I've gone in to the project and "un clicked" all the centering (front and back) and when I select it all I still can't shrink it down. What am I doing wrong OR can I do it (shrink it all) that way? Thanks, JerryB

The two slopes have restraints on them, hit ctr-A to select everything then deselect them. You can then resize to what you want. After you get it where you want then just slide those two items into place. Lather rinse repeat for the rear.

dave

AskBud
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Question.......... I'm trying to make the tray a little smaller since I can't get 14" boards at HD or LOWES (only 11 1/4). I've gone in to the project and "un clicked" all the centering (front and back) and when I select it all I still can't shrink it down. What am I doing wrong OR can I do it (shrink it all) that way? Thanks, JerryB I'll begin by saying that you could use a "Glued-up" panel rather than a solid board.

However, if you still wish a solid smaller board, you may remove the "Conforming Vector option on all the lines, arcs, and ovals which have it applied. Make a list of the ones you remove. From there you should be able you change your design-board size and then shrink your carve. Hopefully, nothing gets skewed in the process! If it still will not shrink, look for line constraints on either the fornt or back as needed. Once that is done, you need to re-apply the Conforming Vectors and re save the MPC.

Dave's point is well taken as well.
Rather than removing the Conforming Vectors options, Remove the 12 inch constraint on all the slopes. You will also need to remove the constraints on the outer vector on the Back (on the right edge).

If it still will not shrink, look for other "Line" constraints. Sometimes folks forget to remove these constraints prior to their final save of the MPC. The radius constraints, and centering should not hinder the process.

Each MPC version of this tray, that has been posted has its own set of complications!
AskBud

cestout
04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
AskBud says you could glue up to get the width you need. I strongly recommend it. Anything that wide is going to warp. The tree rings want to flatten over time. Even if I have a wide board, I usually rip in into several strips and glue it back together flipping every other piece to alternate the ring direction. That tray in nice, but I also like the POM tray. The roses could be replaced with grapes or wine galsses, all of whitch are in the pattern store. BTW, how do you cut thru a 1" piece?
Clint

AskBud
04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
AskBud says you could glue up to get the width you need. I strongly recommend it. Anything that wide is going to warp. The tree rings want to flatten over time. Even if I have a wide board, I usually rip in into several strips and glue it back together flipping every other piece to alternate the ring direction. That tray in nice, but I also like the POM tray. The roses could be replaced with grapes or wine galsses, all of whitch are in the pattern store. BTW, how do you cut thru a 1" piece?
ClintJust assign the cut-path to the closed figure.
AskBud

Bigtyme
05-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, I ran short of time to do the 7 hour carve, so I modified another design from the Forum (much appreciated) to donate to the auction. I think it came out pretty well and the design can be modified easily to fit any other situation. I am glad to share it....Nice to be able to give back a little after everyone being so helpful and sharing their time and work...

rcdages
05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Hello John,

Tray looks very good.

What was the carving time the tray?

How are you going to finish it? Please post it when you have finished it.

Thank you for sharing.

AskBud
05-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Hello John,

Tray looks very good.

What was the carving time the tray?

How are you going to finish it? Please post it when you have finished it.

Thank you for sharing.Once you download the 2-sided MPC to your PC, and begin the upload to the memory card, you will find the you may not scale the project. The carving times are listed as: Normal=2:46:45, Best=4:01:09, and Optimal=6:11:59.
AskBud

Bigtyme
05-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi Robert,
Thank you for the post. It took 4 hours in "Best" Mode....would have been 1:45 in "Normal" ...I haven't put a finish on it yet, but will do so tonight. I am thinking of using a wipe on "gloss" poly...dries fast, looks good and durable. This tray isn't really for food so I am not worried about a food safe finish. If I were I would use a walnut oil or block oil. Both of wich are food safe...
I will post a picture when complete..

rcdages
05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Thank you John,

That is what I was interested in, the time from the machine carving.

Looking forward to seeing it with the finish.

rcdages
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Hello Bud,

Thank you for the infor.

Bigtyme
05-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Here is the final project with its fourth coat of poly about dry. Fun project to put together. I hope the charity makes a few bucks with it.

chief2007
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Very very nice!

easybuilt
05-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Nice job! It should bring some big bucks!

CNC Carver
05-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Very nice thanks for sharing project and finished pictures. I'm sure it will bring in some good money.

Bigtyme
05-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Thank you for all the kind words. I usually make a piece of furnitire for this particular charity, but this year wanted to try a carving. I also turned a pen for them from a piece of the Boundry Oak Tree from the farm where Abraham Lincoln was born. It is a really cool story on the tree and I was able to get a small stick of lumber from a friend a few years ago and a letter of authenticity from the US Park Sevice. The only caviat is I can only use the wood to donate to worthy causes, not profit from it, which is alright by me.... Anyone interested in the story of the tree, Google Lincoln Boundary Oak and enjoy the story...

rcdages
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Finish looks good on tray.

Good job.

b.sumner47
05-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Love your project,well done.

Capt Barry

gwhiz
12-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just carved the original design and thought I'd post the result. It was to be an 18 hour carve on optimal, but my carving bit burned up during the carve so I restarted with the 3/16 bit and it cut the time down considerably. I swapped the wine graphic for a tree that I found on the internet--I should have raised it higher as it almost disappears under the finish (satin poly). Now to order myself a new bit for xmas (and yes, Bud, new brushes, ffc, etc. while I'm at it! ;)). After carving I rounded the edges and handles with a palm router before sanding.

Bigtyme
12-19-2012, 09:04 AM
The tray came out very well, gwiz. I like the mixing of the materials. I have made a couple of cribbage boards with a walnut/maple mix, but haven't tried it with a tray....may just have to give it a shot. Sorry the carve time was so long.

gwhiz
12-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the design--I couldn't have done it with you!

Bigtyme
12-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I had a lot of help from AskBud....he is a super resource along with a whole bunch of others on this Forum....