PDA

View Full Version : Y truck motor pack pulley

Ton80
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Is there any wobble in a normal assembly regarding the pulley that protrudes from the Y motor pack?http://img.tapatalk.com/ad34d93e-e5ee-040c.jpg

CNC Carver
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
No there should not be any wobble. You need to replace the bearings. Search for Y axis bearings you will find links to different suppliers. Here is one link to a Thread.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20517-Y-gearbox-bearings

chief2007
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Very very slight - same after the bearings are change - can you video it

CNC Carver
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
If you are still getting wobble after bearing change your shaft from your gears is probably warn down.

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
LHR sells the big gear with the shaft too... If it wobbles... it's TOAST...

Change the bearings every 250 hours with the cut motor brushes to prevent problems...

AL

cestout
04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
For 6 bucks change the gear and shaft when you replace the bearings, but order two of them and some other stuff to make the $12 shipping worth it. If you skimp, you will have to redo it sooner. I only replaced one bearing at 500 hours and just had to redo at 640 hours. That will put me out of sync with the brushes.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
My machine drives like it was new with the new Y gear box bearings... In my opinion 250 hours would be a good investment. That Y worn bearings shows up as slop in the y gear train like moving your steering wheel the first 2 inches in either direction before the wheels move. I have wondered if worn Y Bearings show up in a Flopping Vibrating Flex Shaft with a V90....

AL

Ton80
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Well thanks for the info. When I called Customer Service that morning of posting this, they told me I had to buy the entire motor pack as the only available fix. Even though I asked them about replacing the gear section. Oh well, I suppose I was led to spend money I didn't really need to spend but it was an easy and fast fix.

TerryT
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I ordered the gears a week or so ago. I tried to order the bearings but they said they only came with the motor and not separately. So I bouight them from VXB.com. They are not the cheapest place but they did have them instock. I paid $24 for 10 bearings. I have seen them for as low as $1 each.

cestout
04-28-2012, 05:19 PM
When I ordered my gear/shaft for $6 from LHR I also ordered 2 bearings for $5 each because I was dead in the water and in a hurry. So they have and sell them. Actually I ordered 2 gear/shaft assys and then ordered 10 bearings form a link here on the forum for $5.50 no shipping. I need to be prepared because I am starting a job (when I get the advance to buy the wood) that will be about 250 hrs of carving.
Clint

chief2007
04-28-2012, 05:32 PM
http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=255

This is the link to the y motor bearings from carvewright

Digitalwoodshop
04-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Other things to have for that 250 hours of carving since you want to be ready to fix something and not wait... Time is MONEY...

Cut Motor Brushes
Board Sensor
FSC Cable
X Gears
Sand Paper Belts if you use them

And if you can swing it.. A Spare $75.00 Flex Shaft...

Time is Money.... Waiting for parts... and one shipping charge..

Good Luck,

AL

TerryT
04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
I needed a new gear for the Y drive, I ordered two because of the crazy LHR shipping thing. Bought 10 bearings from VXB. Finished the repair and was putting it back together when I noticed a hitch in the z. Found a broken tooth on the big gear so I used the second one that I purchased earlier. Now I still need one for my spare parts box!! But the machine hums and floats down the road like a new cadillac! 5 years and over 1000 hours. AND it even still has the old quick chuck on it.

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I broke the teeth off of the Z Gear trying to pull the Flex out of the truck.... Snapping it up.... A word of Caution for everyone... Be Gentle...

SO... Since we are talking 1K machines.... Lets talk Flex Shaft.... Since with 1000 hours and the head going back and fourth hundreds of times... I found that my Flex Shaft was Sagging toward the back of the machine. After my 250 hour maintenance I put the top hat back on with the ball bearing in the front... I had forgotten that I had reversed it last year... See the picture of a Worn Lip Edge of the Flex Shaft is worn letting it sag back. This can be a problem as the flex shaft can catch on the cover on the up stroke and cause a Z Stall... So be aware of this and along with watching the Bit Flag during bit change keep an eye on the sag of the flex and the distance between the flex and the cover as the Z goes down.

I have found that by turning the Top Hat putting the Bearing in the back it gives me new life to the sagging flex. Welcome to the 1K Club !!!! We should get a Gift Certificate from LHR.... The Geriatric Carvers Club.... GCC.... Quick make this a Sticky...... Breaking news.... LOL...

And when working with the flex shaft it is a good idea to tape the end to keep the core and damper spring from ending up on the floor.

I have stomped to death more than one damper spring before using the tape trick.:mrgreen:

This has been another maintenance tip from the folks at the Pocono Digital Woodshop...

AL

fwharris
04-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Al,

Great timing sir! I noticed this on my flex shaft the other day. Will give this a try for sure.

cestout
04-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the advice Al. I have spare brushes and the ones I repalaced last time still have some life left if needed, I have a spare little eye, and my flexshaft never even gets warm because of the lube I use, however I did have to replace the spacer spring at 500 hrs.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
GOOD JOB Guys !!!!

More Happy Carvers !!!!

AL

Ton80
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
While I may have spent more than I needed to, I also don't like getting too deep into the nitty gritty when it comes to machinery... I'm a woodworker by nature but mechanical stuff doesn't come as naturally to me. I am able to follow along the manuals that CW provides and swapping out the motors was a breeze...

Just how much more involved would replacing just the bearings and gears have been? Is there PDF on performing that? You know, the "for dummies" type of PDF, lol...

I am going to gather up supplies for the 250 hour mark as I'll be getting there this summer.

AskBud
04-30-2012, 11:58 AM
While I may have spent more than I needed to, I also don't like getting too deep into the nitty gritty when it comes to machinery... I'm a woodworker by nature but mechanical stuff doesn't come as naturally to me. I am able to follow along the manuals that CW provides and swapping out the motors was a breeze...

Just how much more involved would replacing just the bearings and gears have been? Is there PDF on performing that? You know, the "for dummies" type of PDF, lol...

I am going to gather up supplies for the 250 hour mark as I'll be getting there this summer.
There are lots of data here.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/support/maintenance.php