PDA

View Full Version : Getting new computer

Darthmaul1964
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I have been informed I will be getting a new laptop over summer break (I'm a teacher). This is great news but since I can't keep the old one I will have to install Designer again (and all the updates since the CD was created) on the new computer. Not a big deal. But I don't know what to do to transfur patterns that I have bought to the new computer. Can someone direct me to some documentation so I can figure out what I have to do?

Thanks

AskBud
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
The process for using a new/replacement computer is easy in one respect, and time consuming in another.

The easy part is handling the LHR programs and patterns (not MPCs). This FAQ will give you insight on the process.
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/cwlearn.php#Re-Installation

Patterns purchased from others, will require the SN that came with that pattern. Hopefully you kept these SNs!

In all of the above, including your "Free" patterns, you will have to re download each pattern to the new PC as well unless you save them somewhere outside of the CW software.

Items saved outside of the CW software (patterns, projects, MPCs, etc) should be transferred to a Flash or other drive, which can then be loaded on to the new PC. If you keep your MPCs in the CW software section, you will want to start placing copies in a folder somewhere else so they may be transferred when the time comes. I think you know that you may have LHR software on more than one PC, which may help. LHR will gladly assist you with this new unit, but you have to do the pattern re-loads yourself.

I suggest that you make a serious request to purchase the old laptop so you will always have the existing files, even if it is away from school.

I'm sure others will have some thoughts as well.
AskBud

Darthmaul1964
04-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I asked if I could keep the old laptop. It is currently my administrative computer (grades, attendance and school related files) but I was doing to clean my stuff off of it and deligate it as student workstation but was told I could not keep it. All laptops are being replaced and old ones used for a mobile lab. So I have no choice but to set up on new machine.
I know that once I install Designer from the origianal CD I will have to also download and install all the program updates. I also know I will have to copy over all my MPC's and pattern files I have created. But I was not sure how to do the patterns I have purchased from the Pattern Depot or the one Bud gave me for the dust collector.

dbfletcher
04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
You don't need to install from the original cd... as a matter of fact, you definately wouldn't want to. Just download the latest version from the LHR website.

http://www.carvewright.com/update

AskBud
04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
You will not use the original CD from LHR! You will access the Main page for LHR and go to the "Customer login" in the top right corner. Again, a call to LHR will get you any assistance you need.
AskBud

Darthmaul1964
04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I read through the information on the link to the first reply I got and see what I will need to do. Thanks for all the input.