PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Errors. Here I go again.

jeff412
04-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I've had it with this machine. Tonight I got a "Slipped: Check Y Belt" error. I restarted the project, then got a Z-Axis stall error. Checked for wood chips and rough spots, found nothing, then started the project again and got a Check board sensor error. I took it apart and couldn't find anything, so I put it back together and got another Check board sensor error. I give up. I have spent ten times more money on this machine than I have ever made. I've got 6 orders right now and I can't fill any of them. I also reformatted the card and re-flashed the firmware. Still got one of the errors above. Anyone got any ideas?

Jeff

bergerud
04-23-2012, 08:24 PM
FCC ribbon?

jeff412
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
What's the FCC ribbon?

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chief2007
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Y belt error could be the y motor bearings or the roller bearings on the y truck especially if you have a lot of hours on the machine.

I have had to re start a project and had to run tape across and length wise to have it read the board. Otherwise got the check board sensor reading

Sometimes the board sensor won't read the already carved area

Think we have all been frustrated at one time or another, with orders waiting so I understand that part of it.

How many cut hours on your machine?

chief2007
04-23-2012, 08:33 PM
FCC cable is the white flat cable that runs from a circuit board on the head to the back of the z motor, make sure it didn't pull out,

jeff412
04-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Around 100. Just had it at Lhr last month for measurement problems.

Jeff

bergerud
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
The reason I say check the FFC ribbon is because of all the different errors. Al may chime in with more detailed advice.

Digitalwoodshop
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Joined in 2008 so you could have a "A" version... That leads me to ask the first question....? Do you have a old 18 pin FSC flat ribbon cable or have you upgraded to the 14 pin FSC Cable System... With this many problems it sounds like a torn FSC Cable. LHR only sells the 14 pin cable you need to know what version you have... 18 or 14... IF you installed the new 14 pin in a 18 pin Jack the wider pins short out the Computer... Just a warning to know what version you have and how it could be a $500.00 plus error....

Next is the possibility of the wires to the board detector have slid down and pinched... Causing a Short... Hence the Y, Z and Board Errors...

Next is the Y Gear Box Bearings.... Any Clicking when the Y head is at the bit flag... If so you need bearings.... Could be a 2 part problem... Y stall is the bearings and the other stuff is the FSC Cable.....

Then the BIGGY.... The L2 in the Power Supply has broken causing a power fluctuation and this is resulting in the stalls and errors....

And you could have a bad Board Sensor....

I will post some pictures to start your search....

We are here to help... if you let us...

You may have a few problems...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
04-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I type too slow.... 4 posts while I typed... IF LHR had the machine than more than likely it has the 14 pin upgrade....

I replaced my FSC Cable the other day... It looked UGLY.... Check that first.... Like everyone is saying....

Good Luck,

AL

jeff412
04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
It is a version b machine. Just changed all the boards within the past year. The controller was replaced with refurb.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-23-2012, 10:45 PM
As my Favorite Civilian Navy Repair Tech would say when going to a Ship to fix the Equipment... "Go where Sailors have been..."... As 9 times out of 10 the Sailor doing maintenance would forget to put a plug back on or something like that... Ask what they worked on last... Well after that maintenance card procedure the Radar would not work... Find the Loose Plug...

SO just taking what you said... The Controller was replaced... I would un plug the machine and remove the bottom cover and look at the plugs on the computer... Because a loose plug could cause all this..... Plus look at the plugs and wires of the FSC Cable....

That brings up a point I have never though of.. Since with the bottom of the machine removed you can touch the On Off Switch contacts and the Power Supply.... I wonder why the bottom cover never had a warning.... "Removing this cover can expose the person to dangerous and deadly voltages... Only remove cover with the machine un plugged...." Or words the Lawyers agree on... Service at your own risk...

So a revised list...

1. Loose Computer plug...

2. Loose FSC cable or the big plugs going into the lower board.

3. Bad FSC Cable... Inspect.. Any Sharp Bends... The last machine I bought, the person was SO frustrated and all it was to fix it was a bad FSC Cable... It was installed too short on one end and when the head was at the Bit Flag, it Ripped the too short cable....

4. Bad L2 in the Power Supply....

5. Pinched wire in the Board Detector cable.

Good Luck,

AL

jeff412
04-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys. I'll check it out when I get home from work. I'll let you know what I find.

Jeff

jeff412
04-24-2012, 09:00 PM
I checked all of the connections and everything appeared to be good. I actually had an FSC cable, so I went ahead and changed it. It's actually carving right now. So far no errors. Hopefully that fixed it. I'll know for sure after I start a couple more projects. But for now all looks good. Btw The old cable didn't look bad

Jeff

jeff412
04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
It carved the project great. But I had told it to cut the board to size. While half way through the second cut it broke a 3/16" cutting bit.

Jeff

fwharris
04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
It carved the project great. But I had told it to cut the board to size. While half way through the second cut it broke a 3/16" cutting bit.

Jeff

Don't you just hate it when that happens?? Lesson learned, use other tools to cut your boards down to the size!!

jeff412
04-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Is that all it is or do I have other issues? I've cut boards to size lots of times and never broke a bit especially a 3/16 bit.

Jeff

LittleRedWoodshop
04-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I my opinion the answer to "cut board to size" is always NO. I have never used my machine to do this - takes time off of my warranty ... I can think of about 5 other tools that I have that will perform this function.

fwharris
04-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Is that all it is or do I have other issues? I've cut boards to size lots of times and never broke a bit especially a 3/16 bit.

Jeff

Did it break while doing a cross cut or rip cut?

jeff412
04-25-2012, 05:51 AM
It was doing a cross cut.

Jeff

jeff412
04-25-2012, 06:21 AM
I my opinion the answer to "cut board to size" is always NO. I have never used my machine to do this - takes time off of my warranty ... I can think of about 5 other tools that I have that will perform this function.

It only takes an extra two minutes to cut the ends off. it takes longer than that to set up the table saw. If I need to do a rip cut I always use the table saw just because of how slowly carvewright does it.

Jeff

bjbethke
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
It only takes an extra two minutes to cut the ends off. it takes longer than that to set up the table saw. If I need to do a rip cut I always use the table saw just because of how slowly carvewright does it.

Jeff

Most of the time – making end cuts the board will not stay under the rollers. If the outfeed tables are set too loose the board will drop down and you will get a snipe, and snap your bits.

CNC Carver
04-25-2012, 08:18 AM
I agree use the carvewright for carving and a saw for the cutting.

mtylerfl
04-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Jeff

Jeff,

Ok...my 2 cents, to help emphasize what's already been said.

It is not a good idea to perform the Cut Board to size procedure. That is definitely asking for trouble (I'm very, very surprised you haven't broken more bits doing that). You will be a much happier camper long-term if you cut your boards to proper size before inserting into the machine. So far, doing this has only cost you about $40 (unnecessarily). Could get a lot more costly over time.

I cut my boards slightly oversize (oversize length includes a 'smidge' over the extra 7" required to keep a project captive under the pressure rollers at ALL times if I'm not using a jig), and always answer NO to the "cut board to size" prompt. (Every single one of my project of the month instructions follows that procedure...otherwise, I suspect folks would be snapping bits on a fairly regular basis when cutting boards that are not under the rollers at all times.)

rcdages
04-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Jeff,

Ok...my 2 cents also, to emphasize what's already been said.

CNC Carving machine. Table saw hand saw and many others saws will save you problems with broken bits and other troubles.

What evey one has stated is the best way to go.

Cut out side the CNC and carve with the CNC................Your life of carving will be a happer palce.