PDA

View Full Version : "Enter Board Thickness" Will Not Accept ANY Entered Number - HELP !!!

Brad Wardman
04-22-2012, 12:21 PM
I cut wide board all the time and nearly always have to enter the thickness manually. Today, I go to enter the thickness, as usual, and every time I enter the number and hit enter the machine just goes back to "enter board thickness 0". It seems that it will not accept any number to proceed. Ideas ???

Board size is 14"x60" ...yes, I have outfeed rollers.
I have recalibrated the depth setting.
Triple checked the designer program, cuts, bits, depth, etc.
Card has been reformatted & reloaded. Machine unplugged & rebooted. Board re-inserted.
Everything is fully cleaned.
Width & length measure accurately.

HELP !!!
Brad

AskBud
04-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I cut wide board all the time and nearly always have to enter the thickness manually. Today, I go to enter the thickness, as usual, and every time I enter the number and hit enter the machine just goes back to "enter board thickness 0". It seems that it will not accept any number to proceed. Ideas ???

Board size is 14"x60" ...yes, I have outfeed rollers.
I have recalibrated the depth setting.
Triple checked the designer program, cuts, bits, depth, etc.
Card has been reformatted & reloaded. Machine unplugged & rebooted. Board re-inserted.
Everything is fully cleaned.
Width & length measure accurately.

HELP !!!
BradPresuming that the thickness is less than an inch, do you begin with a DOT?
AskBud

Brad Wardman
04-22-2012, 12:41 PM
The board(actually its HDU) is 2" thick. Putting in as 2.000. This is a pattern that has been cut before(one yesterday actually), so that shouldnt be the issue. Also tried putting in a few thousandths on each side of 2", but it just wont accept anything. I have over 250 hours on the machine, so in my mind(LOL) I have covered most the basic troubleshooting issues ;-)

Brad

Brad Wardman
04-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Ok...Heres an update for the future of mankind.
I added a thin piece of tubing as a spacer to the shaft on the bit we are measuring with (the one we have always used and it is at proper length)...making it protrude about 1/8" further from the chuck than it had before.
Stopped, as it should, at first contact with the bit plate & surface of the material and then continued to measure the board depth just fine. It did NOT ask for the thickness to be input.. ?????????

Now, as a safety note, I wouldnt run this on something thin...but we are carving .980" into 2" material...so we should be good.

As for the continued question.....Why will it not accept the keypad entered thickness ???? As to this, I would still like an answer..(but at least I can get this project finished up ;-)

Thanks,
Brad

SteveEJ
04-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Since you lengthened the bit, it probably was that originally the machine detected that the bit could not cut as deep as you wanted so it kept asking you for the thickness. That 1/8" was just enough to get the bit length right for the entered thickness.

Just a guess..

Added: Once the project is finished test the theory by adjusting the bit 1/8" deeper into the chuck and try it again. If it asks for the thickness then you will have your answer.

peep
07-29-2013, 09:03 AM
When I place my .75" x 14.5" x 25" it keeps saying enter board thickness. Does the same when I do 7 board test. Any idea what is going on? And how do I enter .75 as their is no .

CNC Carver
07-29-2013, 09:07 AM
3/4 is how you enter .75

When I place my .75" x 14.5" x 25" it keeps saying enter board thickness. Does the same when I do 7 board test. Any idea what is going on? And how do I enter .75 as their is no .

bergerud
07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
There is a decimal. The down arrow doubles as the decimal. I key in decimals all the time.

RMarkey
07-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Since your board exceeds 14" wide, I 'guess' how thick your board is, then ask you to enter it.

If your number is larger than my guess, I make you try again... but I don't tell you what it can be.

I should probably change that to set my guess there.

peep
07-29-2013, 09:36 AM
You know that almost makes sense.

Got it, she be carving now

gashawk
07-29-2013, 12:29 PM
(...but we are carving .980" into 2" material...) The board is measured from the surface. .8 max carving depth

bergerud
07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
(...but we are carving .980" into 2" material...) The board is measured from the surface. .8 max carving depth

Maybe he was cutting, not carving.