PDA

View Full Version : Y carriage and Z truck rollers

bergerud
04-20-2012, 01:15 AM
I always thought that the Y carriage and Z truck roller bearings could only obtained through LHR. I have happened upon the fact that they are standard LFR50/8 rollers. They are available with rubber seals or steel shields. See for example:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8369

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit12216

They do not come with the threaded insert and are pricey. It is still probably best to buy rollers from LHR; I just thought some members might be interested to know these are standard parts which are available elsewhere.

Digitalwoodshop
04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
That was a GREAT Find.....

AL

ktjwilliams
04-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Very Cool find... But like U said they are pricey,,, And what about the offset centers ... Hmmm... Maybe can make our own .. Thx Dan

bergerud
04-25-2012, 11:47 PM
You can use the old centers. They are easily tapped out with a punch. (Not so easy to reuse if the screws have been broken off or drilled out.)

ktjwilliams
04-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Hey Dan,,, My bearing screws won't budge !! I would have no choice but to drill them out ... I was gonna get new bearings with my last order with LHR.. I tried to get the old ones off first,,,, Forget-A bout-it !!! Needless to say I scratched bearings off my list..

bergerud
04-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I just posted this in another thread:

I would try some heat. Heat softens loctite. Just heat the screw head so as not to melt the bearing seals.

One could also, if the truck is off, use a vise to stop the screw driver from slipping. Use a 1/4 inch wrench on a screw driver bit which is squeezed into the screw head by the vise. Hold the 1/4 wrench and turn the nut with the bearing wrench. Worst case is that the screw will snap. This method with some heat from a propane torch is your best chance in my opinion.

ktjwilliams
05-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Was leary bout using heat.. but I guess there's nuttin to loose.... Just ordered spindle beaings,,, got 10 top and 10 bottom for $ 24.10 .. I've used these bearings before and they worked great... I found several other uses for the bearings so I make sure I have plenty on hand....

miragese
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the tip
I have purchased a set and they are the same bearings. Some cosmetic differance. I took the new ones and a original bearing to the machine shop at work and they check all dimensions and they are the same. They cost a couple dollars more but shipping was cheeper and they have them in stock. LHR was out of them and waiting for more to come in and was unsure if any were on the next order. Only obstacle with the aftermarket bearing is the center of the old bearing will have to be pressed out and pressed into the new bearing, but I have several bearings on hand now and I can replace any one, ofset or or the stationard.