PDA

View Full Version : Pattern access

CNC Carver
04-16-2012, 11:23 AM

This is to show users can dowload patterns without being logged onto the forum. I did get error message when looking at albums that I must be logged in. Please set up downloading the patterns the same way. Thanks.

AskBud
04-16-2012, 11:48 AM

This is to show users can download patterns without being logged onto the forum. I did get error message when looking at albums that I must be logged in. Please set up downloading the patterns the same way. Thanks.
CNC,
The File Download screen on the 2nd picture would indicate that you have not set the PTN File Type to automatically open with GUI. From that screen, I presume that if you click on FIND you will get another window that shows programs. You just move to the GUI program line and select it. You should also find a check box to "Always" use GUI for this type of file. I think you will find that PTN files all require GUI.
AskBud

CNC Carver
04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
AskBud,

What I was trying to show is that access to pattern sharing is not protected from guest users as the photo albums are. I would like to see users need to be logged in if they view and/or dowload any files. I was told this was fixed a year ago but have tested downloading as I was not logged in and it worked.

CNC Carver
05-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Thanks for fixing access. At least now everyone has to be logged in to download patterns and photo's.

fwharris
05-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for fixing access. At least now everyone has to be logged in to download patterns and photo's.

CNC and forum MODS,

Thanks for taking this action. One small step!!!

bergerud
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I remember having a lengthy discussion on whether quests should be able to download patterns in the thread "Who are all these quests". At that time it was the opinion in a majority of posts that quests should not be forced to become members. I must have missed the memo: when was it decided to change the policy?

dbfletcher
05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
On the surface it "seems" like a good idea, but I'm willing to bet it will have the opposite effect of what was intended. I'm sure the goal was to enforce some mechanism to make it more difficult for people to download and unauthorized selling of said downloads on ebay and other outlets. For the people who are selling them on ebay, forcing them to register (most probably already are) doesnt really affect them at all. But for the true "guest", now if they are forced to register before they can download anything will more than likely push them in to buying the ebay disks. Some people are just opposed (not saying it is right/wrong/good or bad) to having a zillion accounts for anything they do online.

CNC Carver
05-01-2012, 11:16 AM
But registering is a way of having them ok this Forum's rules and regulations. Probably won't stop people from stealing others patterns for there own gains but we should be able to ban those that do.

fwharris
05-01-2012, 12:08 PM
On the surface it "seems" like a good idea, but I'm willing to bet it will have the opposite effect of what was intended. I'm sure the goal was to enforce some mechanism to make it more difficult for people to download and unauthorized selling of said downloads on ebay and other outlets. For the people who are selling them on ebay, forcing them to register (most probably already are) doesnt really affect them at all. But for the true "guest", now if they are forced to register before they can download anything will more than likely push them in to buying the ebay disks. Some people are just opposed (not saying it is right/wrong/good or bad) to having a zillion accounts for anything they do online.

Agree that the forcing of being registered to download will not stop what is going on with the selling of the free patterns posted here. Guest will still be able to (I believe) view/read the forum as usual. I had a buddy send me a link to look at some posts on the Router forum the other day. I could view the topic threads but in order to go deeper in the discussion I had to be a registered user and be signed in to do so. They even go further with the controls by setting a limit of number of posts you need before you can do uploads, modify your signature and such.

fspearman1
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Not only do you have to log in to download but now I can,t even view thumbnails of projects. To be honest it is a pain in the neck and I feel it,s going to drive more people away. I don't look at the forum very often any more because I don't want to log in each time. It's sure not going to stop the crooks from taking your patterns and selling them.

AskBud
05-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Not only do you have to log in to download but now I can,t even view thumbnails of projects. To be honest it is a pain in the neck and I feel it,s going to drive more people away. I don't look at the forum very often any more because I don't want to log in each time. It's sure not going to stop the crooks from taking your patterns and selling them.I know that on w-7 and some browsers, that the way you have the "Compatibility View" set may affect your ability to view some data (pictures and Text). You may just find this is your problem as well.
AskBud

CNC Carver
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Not only do you have to log in to download but now I can,t even view thumbnails of projects. To be honest it is a pain in the neck and I feel it,s going to drive more people away. I don't look at the forum very often any more because I don't want to log in each time. It's sure not going to stop the crooks from taking your patterns and selling them.

You can mark the box to save your log in and then you can just come to the forum without log in each time.

fspearman1
05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Whatever the reason until recently I could view thumbnails without logging in. And I am not going to save my log info on any forum or other sit I am on. My opinion, it's a futilie exercise to try and stop thieves. Makes it difficult to get folks to join the forum if you lock it down.

bergerud
05-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Note: to have the password saved you may need to allow cookies.

jpaluck
05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
My 2 cents for whatever it's worth - All the other forums I participate on you have to log on to DL things and see photo's and comment. I agree though it wont stop someone from taking free patterns and re-selling. No big deal to log in though imo.

lynnfrwd
05-01-2012, 03:55 PM
The lock down was not, necessarily, because of the ebay pattern sales. We have been being infested by spammers creating blogs. Now, it is my belief that the only people seeing these splogs (not sure if that is a real term, but in the spirit of it all...it works for me) are the admins & the moderators. Have you Registered Users been seeing them? Evidently, locking it down a little tighter has not really made them go away at all.

It is a double edged sword. I, too, think we are keeping out more guests & potential customers then villains.

We have had some moderators that are no longer around and could use some help. Any one interested in helping us moderate? Send me a PM.

Thanks!

lynnfrwd
05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Let me put together some explanation of what the moderator responsibilities are, requirements, etc and I will post it tomorrow. (Course that means I need to figure it out, too.)

Thanks!

fwharris
05-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Whatever the reason until recently I could view thumbnails without logging in. And I am not going to save my log info on any forum or other sit I am on. My opinion, it's a futilie exercise to try and stop thieves. Makes it difficult to get folks to join the forum if you lock it down.

Frank,

Your login info is not saved on the forum. It is saved to your computer. A cookie is set on YOUR computer that allows the auto login...

fwharris
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
The lock down was not, necessarily, because of the ebay pattern sales. We have been being infested by spammers creating blogs. Now, it is my belief that the only people seeing these splogs (not sure if that is a real term, but in the spirit of it all...it works for me) are the admins & the moderators. Have you Registered Users been seeing them? Evidently, locking it down a little tighter has not really made them go away at all.

It is a double edged sword. I, too, think we are keeping out more guests & potential customers then villains.

We have had some moderators that are no longer around and could use some help. Any one interested in helping us moderate? Send me a PM.

Thanks!

I've noticed those guys. A lot of strange strange names to say the least. Could not view their blogs but the titles sure told me they were not here to do anything with carving...