PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication Diagram

fspearman1
04-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Is there a diagram of the lubrication points on the machine with the type of lubricant to use? And I don't mean a worded document I need pictures with arrows pointing to the spots.

chief2007
04-13-2012, 08:23 AM
This link might help, http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf

Sounds like a good idea to add to the 250 hour maintenance requirements thread

fspearman1
04-13-2012, 08:49 AM
This link might help, http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf

Sounds like a good idea to add to the 250 hour maintenance requirements thread

Thanks for the link. It gives some info.

When might we expect to see this check list. Also I would think that as temperamental as this machine is it would need lubrication and maintenance more than after 250 hours of use.

unitedcases
04-13-2012, 08:56 AM
The maintenance cycle list with all the lubes and what not is just a work in progress. You should always clean out the machine after every carve and check and see if anything in particular needs to be lubed. Some users lube the 4 posts and kick plate before every job, some dont. I myself just give the rails a wipe down with some dry lube or silicon after every job. Every machine is different so having a catch all schedule for all is probably going to be very impractical. Everyone one indepently with their machine has to tweek their own schedule to suit their needs. The list that is being developed is only as a reference and is really there to remind us of the Cut motor brushes and bushings that wear over time. 250 hrs for some is very fast and for others it takes a while to get there. Think of a car. You may change the oil every 3000 like clockwork but how often do you put air in that leaky tire? Every Week! Just saying....I have a leaky tire on my truck.

chief2007
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the link. It gives some info.

When might we expect to see this check list. Also I would think that as temperamental as this machine is it would need lubrication and maintenance more than after 250 hours of use.

Here is the link for the 250 hour Maintenance thread - Some of the Senior Pros have posted pictures as well http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20413-250-Maintenance-Requirements

fspearman1
04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I know the link. What I am looking for is ONE comprehensive document that tells how to take care of the machine.

In my estimation the documentation for the Carevewright is the worst I have ever seen. There are some very nice folks at LHR and on this forum that can offer some very good advice but it seems to me as a company things are very disjointed. I wish in my business life before retirement that my customers could have done as much work for me for free as the folks on this forum do for LHR>

badbert
04-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Are you people serious?! You use SILICONE on a machine that you make things to be painted and/or finished?! Really?! I do not allow silicone anything anywhere near my shop. No fisheyes for me thank you!

cnsranch
04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks, guys - wish you'd have gotten involved sooner - I'd have save a lot of time if I had known how gooned up LHR is, and what idiots the Forum Members are.

fspearman1
04-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Are you people serious?! You use SILICONE on a machine that you make things to be painted and/or finished?! Really?! I do not allow silicone anything anywhere near my shop. No fisheyes for me thank you!,

Agree! If im using a wood like cherry or oak ISurely dont want anything to screw up the finish

mtylerfl
04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Are you people serious?! You use SILICONE on a machine that you make things to be painted and/or finished?! Really?! I do not allow silicone anything anywhere near my shop. No fisheyes for me thank you!

I don't use silcon-type lubes myself either (I use silicon-free dry lube on the rails and posts). Really there is not a thing wrong or particularly risky with using a silicon-type lube on certain machine components. Just use common sense not to apply too much where it could drip or overspray onto anything that contacts your wood.

fspearman1
04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks, guys - wish you'd have gotten involved sooner - I'd have save a lot of time if I had known how gooned up LHR is, and what idiots the Forum Members are.

I didn't say forum members are idiots. I'm a forum member and I don't consider myself an idiot.

All I'm saying is that anytime there is a question I get referred to the forum. I do stand by my statement that LHR seems disjointed in their business operation.

One thing I have noticed on the forum is that MOST, again, most of the folks that sing the praised of LHR are also vendors listed on their website.

lawrence
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
All I'm saying is that anytime there is a question I get referred to the forum. I do stand by my statement that LHR seems disjointed in their business operation.

I think that is a fair assessment. I think that LHR is getting much better... but to say that there have not been/are fairly basic problems with LHR as a company would be inaccurate IMHO. I do think that they are getting better in many areas (much better in some such as telephone customer support) and I really appreciate their efforts.

We are certainly a "self-sustaining" group. I have little doubt that the members here have been key to LHR's remaining viable whether it was through the rock chuck, or the dust collection systems, or the grounding help, or the pattern help.

I don't think that is a bad thing, and I don't think fspearman was saying that it is... he was just saying that LHR is fortunate to have such a vocal and loyal group of supporters... many other companies are not as lucky. And I agree with him...a lot of you guys are definitely awesome.

Lawrence

lawrence
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM

yes I do-- but nowhere near the finished product. There is a lot of work that is done before a final finish hits a piece after it goes through my machine... I've used silicone and had zero problems. Your concerns are very valid for things such as silicone based waxes used directly on wood-bearing surfaces or as dust inhibitors. Early on in the process it is not a problem for me-- and has not been for anyone else that I know of.

To completely ban it from any machines is being overly-vigilant IMHO. A small amount of care keeps cross contamination from taking place.

V/r
Lawrence

fwharris
04-13-2012, 02:34 PM
The dry lube I use is a Teflon spray. Apply to rag and wipe on to the areas I want to lube. Have no clue if the Teflon is a reactor to the finishing process but so far no problems.

mtylerfl
04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I know the link. What I am looking for is ONE comprehensive document that tells how to take care of the machine.

It's not that complicated - honest. Keep the machine clean, lube the moving parts every now and then. Replace parts when worn out.

In my estimation the documentation for the Carevewright is the worst I have ever seen.

The Owner's Manual that is included with the machine is very brief, and only covers the necessary basics of machine operation. However, the manuals accessed via the Help File in the Designer software are pretty complete and thorough. Always room for improvement, but I think LHR has done a very decent job with the documentation over the last few years. They are always interested in constructive feedback. If you have a list of items that you feel are not covered sufficiently, please let them know so they can consider your suggestions for future documentation updates.

There are some very nice folks at LHR and on this forum that can offer some very good advice but it seems to me as a company things are very disjointed. I wish in my business life before retirement that my customers could have done as much work for me for free as the folks on this forum do for LHR>

LHR does indeed have a very loyal group here, as you mentioned. I can't say I've ever felt LHR was "disjointed". What I can say is that any new business often takes awhile to learn more about their customers needs and wants, then work diligently to accomodate those desires. It has been my pleasure to watch LHR grow and improve in these last five years. I find it interesting and exciting at the same time. My personal feeling is that LHR is more interested in their customers' satisfaction than the majority of companies operating today. I have very few complaints.

jmoriearty
02-09-2013, 07:44 PM

I have only had my machine a few weeks, but I wanted to toss my input on this thread. I have a pretty strong mechanical background, I was a field service engineer for Bell and Howell and have worked on machines, computers, and even robotics. Many of the machines I worked on over the years were actually very similar to the CW. One thing I learned while servicing all of these machines is that every service plan and schedule is, by necessity, different.

Depending on the environment the machine is used in, the amount of usage the machine is under, and the materials you use most with the machine, your maintenance requirements must be adjusted. A good for instance is I live in Lubbock, TX. Here it is dry and windy and dusty. I did a 25 hour maintenance on my machine two days ago. Today I couldn't get any head pressure for doing a project. Today the wind was crazy and the air so full of dust that I could barely see the shop from the house (like 200 feet away). Naturally I immediately realized that it was time to stop for the day and that tomorrow I would have to clean the head posts and lube them to get head pressure back up. While I'm at it I will dry lube the rails and clean the idler pulleys, all after a very thorough blowing out of the machine.

When I'm using a lot of pine with high moisture content, I know that I have to take time more frequently to clean off the resin build up that if I were using something like kiln dried ash. If the humidity here were higher, I would have to take more care with parts susceptible to rust and pitting.

There are thousands of variables that effect how you maintain your machine and they will all be different for every user. There is no way that any company could possible lay them all out for every individual. All I can advise anyone with any high speed machine with multiple moving parts is learn your machine and figure out it's needs as applicable to you. Listen to senior members suggestions but temper what you hear with logic and knowledge of your individual situation and needs. Machine maintenance with this type of machinery becomes as much an art as a science.

lynnfrwd
02-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Could not have said it better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawrence
02-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Very well said- and when all else fails name your machine and talk nice to her (or him if you're so inclined)

I call mine *&%^&& *&*^^ &&^&%$$!!! and it works every time :)

Nonetheless, nice reminder about how every machine has its own personality and each environment requires its own adjustments-

Lawrence