PDA

View Full Version : Good Shepard Help Please

signman9999
04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't know where exactly I got this pattern but I am sure I got it off of the forum here somewhere. When I bring the ptn into a new project it is fine. But If I rotate the ptn either CW or CCW it carves a deep grove around the left side, by halfway? Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or how to fix it?

Thanks
Tom

Icutone2
04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Hello, I rotated it and set the feather to none and draft it high and it worked for me. Hopes this helps.
Lee

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
If I have this correct... you rotated it and made the project carve as a wide oval... I can't tell the orientation of the project... IF you carved the project with the WIDE part of the Oval as in the Y or left to right.... Then the answer is EASY.... The line is 3.5 inches from the end of your board or more likely SLED... and the board came out from under the roller and popped UP toward the bit and carved the line 3.5 inches from the end of the board or sled.... This is the distance between the bit and the roller.. 3.5 +3.5 = the 7 inch rule of wood...

IF you carved it with the Wide part of the Oval in the Length of the board or X.... Then it could be ART...

OR.... Wood Chips built up as you carved and the rollers went over a LUMP of Sawdust and lifted the head.... Then I would look at the screws under the machine that go into the 4 smooth rails that the head rids up and down on.... I have had them come loose...

Let us know....

I am with Ask Bud on this one... Please post the .mpc....

AL

signman9999
04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Hello, I rotated it and set the feather to none and draft it high and it worked for me. Hopes this helps.
Lee

Icutone2 I agree if you take the feather off then that takes care of the problem. My Question is why? If you have the feather on and you rotate it 90 CW then the deep portion is on the left side of the pattern. Hence the top of the carve. If you then rotate the ptn 180 degrees the deep portion is on the left side of the pattern. Hence the bottom of the carve. Just doesn't make any sense to me why it would do that. If you have the pattern oriented correctly, (Jesus head on the vertical), on the board with a feather then it does not carve a deep line. Guess it is just one of those "Inquiring minds want to know thing."

Al
I was using a sled and I did adhere to the 7" rule the carve was oriented with the bark on the keyboard and far side of the sled.

Thanks
Tom

signman9999
04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Al,
The ptn and MPC are in the first part of the thread with a pic of what it looked like carved.
Actually I do not believe this to be a machine problem but a problem with the PTN. But I cannot see anything in the pattern that would make it react the way it did.

Tom

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2012, 09:09 PM
My Bad....

AL

mtylerfl
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't know where exactly I got this pattern but I am sure I got it off of the forum here somewhere. When I bring the ptn into a new project it is fine. But If I rotate the ptn either CW or CCW it carves a deep grove around the left side, by halfway? Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or how to fix it?

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

We've seen this anomaly once or twice before. It seems to be rare.

I believe it has to do with the pattern itself - I think the edges have teeny areas that have "no" zero-plane (and are rough, not "clean"). Somehow Designer compensates for that most of the time, but when rotated 90°, the problem shows up as you've seen.

The only permanent solution that I know of is to edit the pattern itself. Sometimes you can get away with making your "90-degree rotation" 1 degree less or 1 degree greater. It often makes the problem go away, and the 1° error is usually not noticable. However, with this pattern, there is not much of an improvement. It actually accentuates the edge problems (visible on the feather border).

signman9999
04-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Michael
Thank you for the explanation and the insight.
Tom