PDA

View Full Version : cabinet doors

menewfy
01-25-2007, 08:17 AM
I was wondering a couple of things

1. has anyone done up a template for a cabinet door, what i mean is the piece of wood we always start a new project with is square is there a way we can change that so it looks like a cabinet door and then do a design on that?

2. has anyone tried to do a cabinet door yet, like the kind you would find in a kitchen.

I am thinking of going to a cabinet maker and showing him some samples that if the person he sells his kitchen to wants they can have in the door.

I thought if he is building the door, knowing that the door is assembled from five pieces, then he could let me carve the center before he puts it together.

has anyone else thought of that and if so have you tried it?

i think that anyone doing something like having a set of kitchen cubbards made instead of going to home depot and just buying it generic they might want a personal touch, am i out to lunch or what?

tim
almost did not want to sign LOL

Aaron B
01-25-2007, 08:53 AM
I know Dan did some cabinet doors but I am not sure if he has any pictures of it. I believe he did a raised panel look for the doors, but he can tell us if he sees this thread.

Dan if you have the mpc file could yo take a screen shot of it and post it for us to see?

hss1
01-25-2007, 09:29 AM
I have produced one cabinet door just for a trial. I an not at the computer where I designed it right now, but when I get to it later today I will post it's file.

Thanks,

Henry S. Swearingen

hss1
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I did have the file on my current computer.

Thanks,

Henry S. Swearingen

menewfy
01-25-2007, 10:04 AM
i think that looks great but i am not looking to carve the door itself i want to carve something on a existing door panel or center. so in other words it would be engraved in it can not be relief because i don't want to take the bulk away from the door.

in that pic you are taking the bulk away from a piece of wood to make the door and leaving the grapes.

i am wondering if someone has figured out how to make the desinger look at something other than a piece of wood.

i have tried a couple of times and i am getting the same effect as you did henry.

it is a good idea if i can figure it out.

tim

pkunk
01-25-2007, 10:40 AM
As a cabinetmaker, I see several problems. The biggest is that of the size limitation. A carved panel at 14 1/2" wide is good for a door width of 18" which is fine as long as the kitchen doesn't have anything larger. I suppose you could always add extra wood to both sides after carving to make the panel larger :? , but that's alot of extra work & time. Second is carving away a bunch of wood from a panel will tend to induce some warp. Could ruin the project. It would make for a nice but very expensive cabinet.

menewfy
01-25-2007, 04:56 PM
would there be many cabinets that would be that big i have never measured any but figured the middle would not be bigger than the 14.5 we can do.

as far as warping if i do not go deep then it should not be a big issue right?

i want to take an image and only carve that out not around it just the image.

i guess i could use trial and error and try to match up the space so that it lands in the right spot, however ideally if i could have a pattern that looks like the panel rather than just a flat piece of board it would be easier.

thanks again for all the help
tim

Dan-Woodman
01-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Here is what I did ,play around with that.

menewfy
01-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Dan those work great how did you do them if you dont mind me asking?

and have you seen a door that has the curve on the top and then almost goes flat i know that is not a great description, but i am hoping you know what i mean. if not i can try to draw a pic.
actually just reading it i would not even know what i meant so i will attach a pic of what i am talking about.

is it possible to do the same thing for this design and if so is it also possible to make it so i can resize it depending on the size of the door?

thanks again they look great
Tim

Dan-Woodman
01-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Tim
The doors I did just pick your size project, draw a rectangle where you want the routed part , pick bit these were done with 1/2" classical, choose depth and thats it
It's been a while , but I think there a way you can click on one end of the rectangle and then stretch the middle into an arc.
PKUNK OR BOB probable know right off,but me being a computer beginner , I don't without playing with it. later Daniel
You can also carve on doors that are already put together.

menewfy
01-25-2007, 09:22 PM
yeah but the doors that are together are most likely going to be too wide. I figure it has a better chance to work this way.
thanks for the info

tim

Dan-Woodman
01-25-2007, 09:32 PM
I f your going to make the raised panal doors , do your carving first and then put the raised panal on as you need some material on the edge of the board for the fence to be against.
I 'm refurring to frame and panal door.

menewfy
01-25-2007, 09:40 PM
i am not planning on making the door myself i am going to try and have a cabinet maker do all that i just want to carve them for him.

the center panel will go against the rail but that is what i am worried about when it measures the board if it will bugger up where it carves.

pkunk let me ask you as a cabinetmaker the center panels are they ordered that way or do the cabinet maker shape that part as well, maybe i can get that piece and carve it before he shapes it that would be thebest case scenario.

what do yo uthink?

tim

pkunk
01-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Correct, I made 8 custom doors today. First I glue up for my panel, sand it flat on the drum sander, random orbit both sides, (insert carving), raise the panel & build into stile and rail door. If your cabinetry has some wider doors than what I mentioned earlier, but by only a little you could increase the S&R from 2" to as much as 3" and gain 2", but you'd have to carry that over to all the doors. Easier to add to the panel after carving but prior to sanding and raising.

Dan-Woodman
01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Also ,sometimes the raised panal has a backcut or undercut on the back side depending on how thick the raised panal is ,which might interfere with the rail or fence on the machine .
so carve first and then raise.

menewfy
01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Well I thanks to all for the help and a special thanks to pkunk for helping me understand alot more about cabinet making not that I am now quailified to make cabinets but you know what they say knowledge is power.

tim