PDA

View Full Version : Carving

Hanna
01-25-2007, 06:23 AM
I don't have my machine yet, but I downloaded the software. I put an image into the CW Software and if I select invert under carve it looks kind of like woodburning. Is that what it should look like?

And which other carving types of carving and what are they supposed to look like? For example when the image is raised from the surrounding wood, which is that and vise versa and what do those other carving terms mean in the software?

BobHill
01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Hanna,

On the CarveWright (CompuCarve), the depth of the CARVE is determined by the shade of grey the software has been given. Thus in the one case pure white would be the top of the wood and Black would be the bottom with 254 steps (plus one for white and one for black) in between. When you INVERT, the opposite would be true, thus the image would appear raised in carving on one and indented in the other.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
01-25-2007, 10:04 PM
If you like wood burning art you should look into a Laser Engraver. Dealers take in used units on trades and offer them at a good price. Like a used car, some are great and some are problem children. You can read about laser engraving at a supplier I have used. www.laserbits.com

Good Luck,

AL

BobHill
01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Even used, Laser engravers are far more costly than the CarveWright new, though. They do cut with CorelDraw directly though, and with a finer line, which would be very nice. Can you imagine being able to have both in your shop <g> ....

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I have 3 very old 13 year old first generation units that I was still setting up in my shop. My laser buddy found someone that has a bunch of this same model and was looking for more. Might be able to upgrade soon.... Like Christmas here..... Well we do have a Christmas Tree Farm....

Actually I am one very lucky guy.... Laser Engravers, Sublimation Equipment and now the CompuCarve. Crossed that Shop Bot off the list 30 seconds after seeing the Sears Christmas TV ad on Dirty Jobs.

I am just in startup now.

Pocono Digital Woodshop

AL

BobHill
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
My wife says "where would you put it" and I'm not moving, nor can you put anything like that in MY house <g>.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 07:20 PM
I was in the same boat when I moved home from Sony. Putting the Laser Engravers in the house was not an option as it would back draft the Wood Stove or Oil Burner.

Built 2 buildings, a Laser Shop and a Wood Shop. Installed a Direct Vent LP Gas heat in both.

I set up the shop for 8 Laser Engravers as my Laser Buddy sometimes has rush jobs and could show up with 4 Epson Table Top Laser Engravers. When I finish the blowers I will be ready for a quick plug and play if needed.

Here is the Laser Exhaust.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Since I have already hijacked this thread and I am in Bragging Mode.... Here is the Sublimation side of the Business.

Computer, Epson Printer, Special Ink, Special Paper, Heat Press, Mug Press, let the fun begin.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 07:55 PM
OK... Last one tonight.... Christmas Projects.... This CompuCarve Fits in nicely with the Business.

Soon I will mix Sublimation / Laser Engraving / and V Carve for some interesting projects....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 08:51 PM
If you look close at the cups, the Hawk's Nest picture might be familiar. They have filmed about a dozen car commercials there over the years. BMW included.

AL

Dan-Woodman
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
excuse my ignorance , but what is sublimitation?

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Sorry about that Dan.

Sublimation (Sub La Mation) is the same technology that is used to put pictures on T Shirts, Hats and Mouse pads. Sublimation is a scientific term that means going from a solid to a gas and back to a solid without ever being a vapor or liquid or something close to that. Dry ice does that.

They came up with this special ink that can permanently dye a polyester substrate like a coffee cup or mouse pad. You need the special ink printed on special paper that has a clay coating on it to prevent the ink from absorbing too deep. It sits on the surface of the paper. You place the paper with the image on it, on top of the item you are doing like a mouse pad. Place it in a heat press and close it. The Temperature needs to be very close to 400 degrees F. The pressure is important as it holds the ink very tightly to the surface. The ink heats up as does the polyester material and it's pores shall we say open, at temperatures about 400 degrees. The ink goes from a solid on the paper to a gas and under heat and pressure and dye the polyester as the open pores accept the dye color. Remove it from the press and cool it and the process stops. The image is very close to pertinent. Solid - Gas - Solid. The Township signs took 60 seconds at 400 degrees. http://www.bestblanks.com/aboutsublimation.html for more info.

I learned about this at Trade Shows at Atlantic City for Award Shops. I was learning about Laser Engravers and taking Corel Draw Classes. The end of March is the next show in Atlantic City. Next month it is in Las Vegas. http://www.ara.org/shows/index.cfm

This is a good technology to add with the CompuCarve to make things like tourist stuff.

Thanks for asking.

The outside pictures were taken in the rush to complete projects before it got cold and the place is messy. I had just finished a expansion on the wood shop for dust collection and painted everthing.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I have been getting questions of "why the Laser Exhaust?"

Laser Exhausts are important as they suck out the smoke as the laser burns. Wood Smoke is a high percentage of water or steam. As it cools it sinks on to the equipment and product. The 4 mirrors in the unit are front side mirrors, that means the reflective surface is in the front. Bathroom mirrors are glass in front, reflective material in the back protecting the reflective material. The smoke vapor could get on the mirrors and the heat of the laser beam could bake the smoke on the mirror. They are very easily damaged while cleaning. A scratched mirror will cause a defect in the completed laser image. The focusing lens is easily damaged if smoke gets on it and the heat bakes it on. A cracked lens will result and this will shut you down. The smoke gets on the material you are engraving so the faster it is sucked out the cleaner the work will be. It also sticks to bearings and rails on the motion system making them work harder. It uses a 4 inch wood dust collector motor to suck the smoke out. Plastic, Rubber Stamp Material, and Leather all make smoke you shouldn't breath. Just like a magnifying glass and the sun, burning wood.

I don't look forward to sucking all my heat out.....

http://www.epiloglaser.com/
http://www.laserbits.com/
http://www.usedlasers.com/content/view/22/26/

AL

Jon Jantz
01-27-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey Digital...

Lots of nice equipment... similar here...

I currently have several pieces of equipment I use that are not in my main line of work...

Vinyl Printer (for outdoor durable decals, etc.)
Vinyl Cutter (been cutting vinyl for about 12 years)
Plastic ID printer
I also have an Epson 3000 I'd like to convert to a dye-sub system..

In the past I have owned two laser engravers.. both very nice systems made by Epilog. In fact, I spoke to the person who currently owns one of the units, and they told me it was starting to give them trouble and I could come get it, they'd give it to me...

I'm pretty sure all it would need is a newly charged laser tube which is about $2500 for that particular machine, so I'm seriously considering it..

Also used to own a t-shirt press and hat press and sold those at some point.. now wish I still had them...

Now a Carvewright machine... LOL.

BobHill
01-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Boy am I jealous ... not for your location, however, but your workshop and toys are fantastic <g>.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
01-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Bob,

I know what you mean... Location, Location, Location. Brother Bob is in West Palm Beach and gets to enjoy the great weather. 31 years ago this month I started Navy Boot Camp in Orlando. I loved the weather.

AL

HandTurnedMaple
01-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry Digital, but I have to say it. How can you expect us to believe you are actually making anything in that shop? There isn't a speck of sawdust anywhere. :shock: I know my wife is home every night because I hear the sounds of sweeping and grumbling as she cleans up the dust trail I leave through our kitchen. :lol:

BobHill
01-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Mine too, HTM :lol:

Digitalwoodshop
01-27-2007, 01:52 PM
You caught me... BUSTED. Today it's Sublimation that has my interest. A project that I promised before Christmas but was delayed when my printer had 3 plugged heads. Now that I am back up it's a Bridge Project for the Company that took down a local bridge over the Delaware River connecting PA and NY. A big plaque with pictures of the Bridge falling and the prep to get that far. So NO Sawdust today, just computer time, Corel Draw 12 and the Heat Press.

The Wood Shop is just a shell at this time, I need to get that finished too and set up the CompuCarve in there. Wiring, Insulation, and Wallboard. I don't want to generate a lot of wood dust in the Laser Shop.

Got a letter from Universal Laser today that Synrad will not refurbish any Laser Tube over 10 years old and they offered 30% off list on a new Laser Engraver with a trade in. I thought, 30% was nothing...... They said they would not re sell the Laser Engravers. Trying to weed out the old Laser's.

Hopefully the deal will go through with the guy looking for that model Laser Engraver I have. I have 4 more in storage needing repair or for parts for a total of 7. Being a Technician I just couldn't resist at the time.... Now older and wiser... A single newer unit that will run directly from Corel Draw 12 would be nicer. The old units only work on Windows 95 and Corel Draw 8.

The closest I got to sawdust today was watching NORM build a wooden door from scratch. I am going to miss him when he retires.
I was in the gulf in 1990 on a small Tin Can and the Wife was sending me VCR tapes of Norm. They were a big hit being passed around in the days before Satellite TV and 24 hour a day e Mail.

Back to the 70's on Sirius and the computer.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
01-29-2007, 03:16 PM
OK, no sawdust yet but a interesting project came up yesterday. A local Fireman stopped by to see if I could make some plastic tags with the Fire Department name on it and a Fireman's name. They issue 2 tags to each fireman and at the fire scene they turn the tag in when they are entering a building or active on scene for accountability. His sample was red plastic rotary engraved white letters.

I thought with the Centerline Text I could do this on my CompuCarve. I have my Laser Buddy bringing some Rotary Engraver bits when he visits in about 2 weeks to see if they will fit in the holder. Might need to chop off some of the bit length from the pictures I have seen of them in my Trade magazines.

This could open up a whole new door for the Carve owners.... I was up until midnight making sample sublimation tags and added a picture to some of the tags. I mentioned that with sublimation you could add a fireman's picture to the tag and could aid in accountability with a fire involving mutable fire companies.

Could rotary engrave the tags with the Carve and then carve a circle or square within the tag and insert a sublimated picture that way. This is getting exciting !!!!

Talked to Chris today and I have a used clear plastic dust cover headed my way to drill and cut for a dust collector slot and still keep the safety of the door switch. Will make it from Copper Circuit Board Material to cut down on the static problems. I will solder the 2 sheets of copper together with the fiberglass in the middle to prevent the sheets of copper from becoming a big capacitor.

AL

BobHill
01-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Now that looks like an interesting project, Al. Let us know the results.

Bob

HighTechOkie
01-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I would think the laser engravers would be better for the tags?

Rob

Digitalwoodshop
01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
I agree the Laser would be a great way to go. Talked to my Laser Buddy today and he is visiting Epilog on a family trip and will see him in a week or two with the newer laser engraver. I can't wait.

Going to order Engraving Plastic tomorrow from Johnson Plastic, waited for a call back but missed it. They have laser and rotary plastic and some that is both. Didn't see the extra thick stuff in the catalog.

Will make a sled for the carve unit to hold a 12 x 24 piece of plastic with double stick tape. That is nice it will hold a 14 inch wide sled and a 12 inch plastic.

Chris, you can leave early tonight, only a 21 and a half hour work day. :wink:

Digitalwoodshop
01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
More progress with the tags. They picked a size and I did 2 sided aluminum and some 1/4 inch hardboard. Does making sawdust with a mini drill press drilling 3 tags count?

I did order engraving plastic today.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
02-04-2007, 11:07 AM
This is the last installment of this thread hijacking. Finished the metal tags last night and they were picked up. I am looking forward to making a sled and trying engraving plastic on the Carve Machine. I would like to offer this in 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch plastic engraved on the Carve Machine and a Laser Engraved version of metal and plastic.

Thanks for looking,

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

AL

US Navy Retired FCC(SW)

Digitalwoodshop
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
:roll: :shock: :roll: Here he goes again... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Out with the old in with the newer.... Swapped out my 3 older Laser Engravers today for 2 newer units. Found someone with a bunch of the older ones wanting more. I will get to the carving part soon.... Want to combine Laser Engraving, Sublimation, and Carving.

AL

Jon Jantz
02-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Nice units, Digital...

I like Epilog laser engravers... have had a Summit unit like the one on the left in the past, and would like to get another...

Later,
Jon